Very conflicted

Lynnez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am starting to realize that I have to face the truth. That I have taken on too many cats. I have about 20. They are all cared for. My partner works full time and I am home full time with them. However I still feel they don’t get the love and care they individually deserve. It’s just not possible. This is a huge conflict and started a few years ago. We have no children and I think I took so many in to fill a void. this is my truth and it’s very hard to say. I am scared to rehome any of them in fear something goes wrong. They are not in any danger however i feel that mentally it is taking a toll on me to care for so many cats. It is a lot of work. Much more than I ever could have anticipated. With so many cats it is so hard to truly keep the house tidy for very long. I want to go back to work and don’t feel that I can with so many on my hands. The hardest part is choosing what ones to part with as I love them all. There are absolutely some I am more bonded with than others. They are all beautiful and most of them are 3 and under. Many are well sought after breeds like Siamese. Please help me find the best solution for the well being of myself and my cats. I’m afraid of people who might not keep the commitment and I’m also afraid of people who use them for bait. I would feel awful just taking them to a shelter. I’ve even thought about getting a catio and having some of them live in there most of the time but not sure if that is even right to do. I am willing to part with many of them in order to get my house back in order but I just want to make sure I go about it the best possible way. Thank you for reading.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Most people here on TheCatSite will try to talk you into keeping them. We are all cat lovers here, as you are. But clearly you are in over your head and I applaud you for asking for help. The first thing I have to say is do not GIVE any of them away to persons not well known to you. That is how cats get used as bait, although I think normally people use kittens vs cats, but none the less, they typically cat them for free and aren't willing to pay for them.

Now, are they all bonded? Could several of them be together in, say, a catio and all get along? Do you have the space for a very large catio in order to accomplish that? How's the weather where you are? Perfect all year round? If not, do you have a contingency plan? Could you make that catio with side shades or waterproofing or whatever is required to weatherproof it for year round liveability? Possibly air conditioning? I have to ask since I don't know what the weather if like where you are at any given time. Other than a catio, I would say you need to ask all your friends and relatives (whom you trust that is) if they would be interested in taking any of them and slowly whittle down the number you have.

Hopefully others will have more ideas.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the forum Lynne.

A catio is for cats who absolutely cannot be kept inside 24/7 without destroying the house. The only real solution is giving up cats you do not mind losing.

To do this, you can contact foster-based, no-kill animal rescues. You can also post them on Adopt A Pet, which is like Petfinder but has a feature allowing "private owners" to advertise pets they can't take care of for a $50 adoption fee.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lynnez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Most people here on TheCatSite will try to talk you into keeping them. We are all cat lovers here, as you are. But clearly you are in over your head and I applaud you for asking for help. The first thing I have to say is do not GIVE any of them away to persons not well known to you. That is how cats get used as bait, although I think normally people use kittens vs cats, but none the less, they typically cat them for free and aren't willing to pay for them.

Now, are they all bonded? Could several of them be together in, say, a catio and all get along? Do you have the space for a very large catio in order to accomplish that? How's the weather where you are? Perfect all year round? If not, do you have a contingency plan? Could you make that catio with side shades or waterproofing or whatever is required to weatherproof it for year round liveability? Possibly air conditioning? I have to ask since I don't know what the weather if like where you are at any given time. Other than a catio, I would say you need to ask all your friends and relatives (whom you trust that is) if they would be interested in taking any of them and slowly whittle down the number you have.

Hopefully others will have more ideas.
I am in Florida. If I went the cardio route I would have to buy one that is detachable as I do not own my home. I do have plenty of room though. Another fear is if they were to escape as well. I’ve thought about social media but still they would be strangers. Unfortunately I don’t know anyone at the top of my head willing to take them. Thank you so much for the feedback!

Lynnez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to the forum Lynne.

A catio is for cats who absolutely cannot be kept inside 24/7 without destroying the house. The only real solution is giving up cats you do not mind losing.

To do this, you can contact foster-based, no-kill animal rescues. You can also post them on Adopt A Pet, which is like Petfinder but has a feature allowing "private owners" to advertise pets they can't take care of for a $50 adoption fee.

[/URL]
Yes I was thinking about adopt a pet. Would I screen and choose the owners or would the site? Thank you

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The first, hardest step is admitting that you have taken on too much. It happens, one cat at a time. But you have done that. You can also contact rescue groups in your area (google is a great resource) and ask them for assistance. That is what they are there for. IF they have room and resources, they will be happy to help you.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not going to try to talk you into keeping so many cat's. One of my neighbours ended up overun with kittens because his 2 females got pregnant at the same time. And it's hard to say no to a cat needing help. He had 7 adults then the kitten's. I rehomed 3 in total for him. So hopefully you might find someone who like me knew other people looking for a cat. But like other people have said check the home's of adopters. Good luck hopefully they will find homes soon.Also don't be afraid of asking groups like cat protection and other cat charity's to help you. Most your cat's are pretty young and should find homes quickly.

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You posted under Cat SOS which is linked to the feral cat forum, so I wondered if your cats are feral or not? Even if they were, they may be very socialized by now. Are some more adoptable than others?

My biggest rule of thumb for finding homes for animals is that I ask to be compensated for the care I have given them. Minimum is at least $50 which will discourage most who would want the cats for a nefarious purpose. If someone has no money to pay you, even if they are the nicest person in the world, they can't afford to have a cat. There are numerous templates for adoption contract online.

Sample Rehoming Agreement - Home to Home Animal Adoption

These may or may not be enforceable depending on area and circumstances, but they should also deter anyone who is not suitable.
No one is ever given a cat because they called you first.

“kittens To Good Homes” – How To Find A Good Forever Home For Your Kittens – TheCatSite Articles

You can post on social media like nextdoor.com that you are looking to rehome cats, or a cat for a start, but will need to screen those who contact you.

I agree that there is no shame in admitting that you have tried very hard to rescue cats and are in over your head.

Lynnez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You posted under Cat SOS which is linked to the feral cat forum, so I wondered if your cats are feral or not? Even if they were, they may be very socialized by now. Are some more adoptable than others?

My biggest rule of thumb for finding homes for animals is that I ask to be compensated for the care I have given them. Minimum is at least $50 which will discourage most who would want the cats for a nefarious purpose. If someone has no money to pay you, even if they are the nicest person in the world, they can't afford to have a cat. There are numerous templates for adoption contract online.

Sample Rehoming Agreement - Home to Home Animal Adoption

These may or may not be enforceable depending on area and circumstances, but they should also deter anyone who is not suitable.
No one is ever given a cat because they called you first.

“kittens To Good Homes” – How To Find A Good Forever Home For Your Kittens – TheCatSite Articles

You can post on social media like nextdoor.com that you are looking to rehome cats, or a cat for a start, but will need to screen those who contact you.

I agree that there is no shame in admitting that you have tried very hard to rescue cats and are in over your head.
They are all indoor cats so they are very domesticated. They are all friendly in their own way but there are a couple who are somewhat anti social. For example I have a Siamese who is so loving but she does not like to be around the other cats and will get mean with them. Another example is I have an extremely loving and loyal cat who craves attention but she is a bully to the other cats. So in these circumstances I would have to find specific homes. What makes this so hard is picking and choosing who to keep. The 2 that I mentioned I love very much but I think it would be more productive to put them in an environment where they will thrive. For the most part the rest all get along pretty well. Overcoming the guilt of picking and choosing who stays is going to be tough for me but as long as I know they’re doing well in a new home I will be alright.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are any of them purebreds from a breeder? If so, contact the breeder first; a good breeder will help rehome any of their cats, and take them back if necessary. Also contact a cat rescue, even if they can't take any cats they can let you post on their site and help you with screening potential adopters.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I am like you, but with outdoor cats that got dumped on me by a hoarder on my block. I had a fallen out with her because she kept lying to me and kept dumping cats on me.😧 I am overwhelmed, and some of these cats are very needy (and adoptable). I may have to move in the near future, so I have to find a solution to this situation. I want what is best for these poor guys. I really do care for these kitties, but I am bearly keeping my head above the water with buying cat food for them. The price of cat food has gone up significantly in the last few months. It is a struggle. Even though my situation is a bit different, know that you are not alone with your kitty dilemma. The fact that you know when you are in over your head is a good thing. People who don't know when they in over there head, especially with taking care of animals-- are either indenial or have hoarding issues (which is a mentally illness).

It all boils down to how many cats can you take care of where you are not overwhelmed physically, emotionally, and financially. In regards to finances, to truly be a responsible owner you need to take your cat to the vet at least once a year if healthy. Dental must also be an annual visit. Just having one cat get really sick could financially drain you, but what if you have more than one sick cat? Vet care, especially vet care for emergency and serious illness is very costly. You mentioned that you don't have the time to spend with each cat. Cats do need interaction from us--this is necessary for their mental health and to strengthen our bond with them. Thank you for taking an honest look at the situation and concluding that some of the cats would have a better life elsewhere. There is nothing wrong with admitting this. You only want what is best for the kitties, even if it means they can no longer live with you. It is a very selfless, thoughtful act.

First check within your inner circle. Perhaps there are family members and/or friends who could adopt your kitties. That way you can visit or get updates with pics of how your kitty is doing in their new homes. This may be the most comfortable option because you know how your kitties are faring out. Just make sure whoever you adopt out to is truly responsible and committed. Outside of your inner circle, perhaps you could ask a rescue group to post about your kitties on their site and help you weed out the bad apples. Some years back, I tried to adopt out some kittens and you would be amazed how many people want a kitten for free. Only give away a cat or kitten to a trusted family member or friend for free, never to the general public. Charge an adoption fee and always look for vet references. Hopefully, this will keep the disgusting people looking for bait animals and the other sickies away. (Also, stay away from sites like Craigslist, I noticed a heavy concentration of shady people there.) You could get the word out on social media, but you really have to be very vigilant and discerning. Another member posted a sample Rehoming form, that would be helpful in the rehoming process. Personally, I would go with the rescue group because they have experience in spotting shady or potential bad pet owners. For your pure breeds you could try to seek help from Breed specific Rescues (E.G. Siamanese Cat Rescue). Consider adopting any truly bonded cats in pairs. It would be harder to find a home, but it would be psychological damaging to adopt them out separately. Know that rehoming cats does take time. Kittens get adopted out quicker. Pure breeds are desirable so they may get adopted out quicker than DSH cats. Among DSHs, I noticed that Ginger cats get adopted out quicker because of the perception that Ginger cats are more friendly and easy going.

Anyway, I hope you find good homes for the kitties. If you decide to use a Rescue group, I hope you find the right one who is willing to help you. Naturally, let them keep the Adoption fee since they are doing you a service. Don't rush the process of finding new homes for your kitties. You want to find the right match, so there is very little chance the cat will be returned to you. I wish you all the best. Let us know how everything is going. You are doing the right thing, so no matter how sad you feel about separating from your cats, you are doing it for all the best. This is the right decision.🙂

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I strongly urge you to find a small no kill rescue to work with you. The rescue (all volunteer) I work for has many safe guards in place to counter many of your fears. Not only do we screen all applicants (vet reference required), all our cats are microchipped, and I personally do follow up calls checking on every cat. We also require that cats be returned to us if the adopter can no longer keep them. Being small, this type of rescue would not be able to move more than a couple of cats a month, but it would start you in the right direction. If your cats are neutered/spayed and current with vacs, the process would move faster and a rescue would be more willing (as it is less expensive for them).

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The problem with rehoming cats is that you cannot control what will happen to them in the future. Bad things do happen.
I’ve seen cats live very acceptable lives in a catio, but it must be done right restricting access to the world. And, locked inside a locked yard with a camera etc.

If you must rehome, take pics of the prettiest friendliest cats, write a description under each one and charge at least$100.00. Then take what you have printed up to any near by cat only hospitals and see if you can leave the info with them in case someone is looking for a cat.
Cat hospital clients make excellent cat owners as they are already going the extra mile taking their cat to a cat only veterinarian.
Good luck, and I wish the best for you and your cats.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely make people sign a contract with you, charge an adoption fee and know that you must follow your instincts because you are doing what is best for the kitties. You want the best life you can provide and part of that is being able to enjoy life together. If you are not enjoying each other, it’s time to make some changes. I have adopted out a lot of rescues and I loved each one. One thing that helped me feel better about each person that adopted was making sure they had experience with pets and checking with the vet they used for previous pets. That was a great way to find out how they cared for them. I got all kinds of information by talking to the vet. If their vet knew the person as a loving and caring human, that was an excellent reference. You’ll need permission from the person to talk to their vet and if they deny that permission then you know to deny the adoption. I also asked my own vets if they knew of any good homes. They did! You have gotten good suggestions here. I hope some of these help. If you use a no kill shelter, make sure they do not transfer cats if they don’t get adopted after a certain time or set any time limits on the cat getting adopted. Also make sure that you can call and get updates and that if your cat gets sick while there that they will not euthanize. The truly no kill shelters that I dealt with here with would have kept unadopted cats for the life of the cat but the few cats that did not get adopted were returned to me rather than spending their lives in a shelter. Only two did not get adopted. I have found homes for a lot of kitties and it can take time but don’t give up! There are true cat lovers out there! I also put up a catio. It is fastened to a window so the cats can come inside if they wish. It is covered in metal hardware cloth to keep out any snakes or predators. Also covers in screen to keep out mosquitoes. It is protected from rain by a roof and plastic on the exterior so my air conditioning keeps it cool in summer and heat keeps it warm in winter. It can be totally removed easily if needed. I even put a small catio on wheels so it can be relocated if needed to a different window. Putting up vertical space in your house may help. Simply putting cat shelves up around a room may give you all some relief. There are people on the site who have done this and if you need examples to see, we can try to track down some photos for you. Good luck and our hearts and understanding are with you. You’ve given them great love and I know you’ll find a way to sort through this. :alright:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, always charge an adoptoin fee...especially if your cats have up-to-date medical records. I'd suggest checking with your shelter and asking them what their fee is for adopting a cat. No need to say why. Make your charge SLIGHTLY less than the shelter fees.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They are all indoor cats so they are very domesticated. They are all friendly in their own way but there are a couple who are somewhat anti social. For example I have a Siamese who is so loving but she does not like to be around the other cats and will get mean with them. Another example is I have an extremely loving and loyal cat who craves attention but she is a bully to the other cats. So in these circumstances I would have to find specific homes. What makes this so hard is picking and choosing who to keep. The 2 that I mentioned I love very much but I think it would be more productive to put them in an environment where they will thrive. For the most part the rest all get along pretty well. Overcoming the guilt of picking and choosing who stays is going to be tough for me but as long as I know they’re doing well in a new home I will be alright.
Are any of your cats bonded pairs who must be adopted together? If so, you need to advertise them as such. It is also very important to make sure those two cats you mentioned (what are their names?) go to homes with no other pets.