Very anxious about possible adoption

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 13 year old Himalayan. His brother was with us since birth but we lost him about two years ago to cancer. Since then we have been a one cat household. The remaining cat had a period of being depressed and not eating after his brother died, but is doing very well now, although I think he could use a companion. He is still playful. I have recently been offered the opportunity to adopt an 8 month old Persian. I am very interested but very anxious. The Persian was purchased from a reputable breeder by someone who already had some hairless cats and those cats would not accept their new Persian sibling, so she was returned to the breeder. My question is this - how can I be sure this new kitty will not bring any health issues to my cat? The breeder wants to keep her for a week or so to observe her, even though she says she has no reason to believe there are problems. I am a very overprotective mom and it would kill me if my cat got sick because I brought a strange cat into our house. At the young age of 8 months, would it be unreasonable to have her checked over by the vet and possibly have blood work done before bringing her to my house? I believe my cat would be happier with another kitty, but I certainly don’t want to risk causing him harm.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You want to have a healthy kitty for sure, but for me the larger issue is a 13 year old having someone new in her house. She was used to the other cat she lived with but she may not want an eight month old. A younger kitten might get some slack but eight months is often viewed as an adult by a resident cat. There are lots of tips on this site about introductions. I recommend you read through those. I really think that’s a bigger issue than health. You would be isolating the new one for at least a few weeks anyway.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure your 13 year old wants a companion or would you like another kitty? ;) Because if it is you, then I say go for it!

Yes, take her to your vet before you bring her home and make sure that your older guy is still treated like he is the king of the hill. He was there first.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check out Pam Johnson bennets book on cat introductions, you will want to go extremely slow and be sure to add tons of resources and toys. The age difference is a major factor so be prepared to play out that kitten constantly.