Venting....

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you do that take off the cover plate and blow it into the box itself and not through the plug. Better still if you trip the breaker for the circuit for each outlet.

Although if you find evidence they are in the outlets a better way to kill them would be to blow smoke into it for a few minutes. That would be about the only time you'd want someone smoking inside the house.
Excellent suggestion, Talien Talien and thanks on behalf of ALL of us. Because we never know when we might need to do this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, be careful with the electrical. I've never heard of anyone doing that so I'm not saying pro or con, just that I wouldn't think putting ANYTHING into an electrical outlet except a plug would be a great idea.
okay, i have been careful. The outlet seems to be where they are, i have found them all over the house. For some strange reason, not a single tick has gotten on my cats. I think i read that regular revolution protects against dog ticks. Not sure where i read this. I found a tick on a window sill that the cats hang out on, and it never bothered getting on my cats.

They havent bothered fumigating yet, and my niece isnt bothering to do the daily vacuuming that would help get rid of them.

-

Been feeling better lately, so i have been keeping busy around the house when i am not working. The exercise i have been doing daily has given me so much energy. Still struggling with weight loss, but i have stopped the scale from going up, which is a big improvement. I was so tired and lacking energy, that i would have to fall asleep sitting for a few minutes when i would go spend the day with my niece. I went to see her this weekend and didnt feel drained at the end of the day. :banana1:

I have been feeling anxious though as i have made big changes (positive changes) to try to lose weight. I hate saying it, but food is comforting to me. No matter what emotion i am feeling, food helps fill a void. I feel great physically, but not mentally. I just want to feel better physically at this point, and hope the mental health will follow along.

Been really anxious these past two weeks which is why i havent been active much. I have struggled with heart palpitations since i was a teen, and lately i have this fear that i might have a heart attack. I know its just nerves. But its a fear i have since my mom passed away. She died of cancer, but in her last moments, she had a heart attack. My grand mother died of a heart attack. My father has a half functioning heart. :paranoid: I keep panicking because i read that its more dangerous for younger person to have a heart attack than it is for an older person. My obsessive personality getting the better of me once again. lol

Dont know if i mentioned it here. My dad had a health scare. He randomly passed out, which is scary for a man that is 85 years old. Had to stay in the hospital two days. They think it was lower blood pressure. He has had more hospital visits now that he is older.

If you do that take off the cover plate and blow it into the box itself and not through the plug. Better still if you trip the breaker for the circuit for each outlet.

Although if you find evidence they are in the outlets a better way to kill them would be to blow smoke into it for a few minutes. That would be about the only time you'd want someone smoking inside the house.
Thats a good idea, thank you! What kind of smoke would i blow into the outlets?

I still see some ticks, but i am not finding them everywhere anymore. A lot were hiding in the window sills and we just noticed this week. They've diminished since we found their hiding spot.

im so tired of this covid-19 mess ..... we dont even know if we will have family dinner this for thanksgiving or christmas
My family is nervous, but we still spend time together. Life is very short, but we do have to be careful. We dont want to miss out on being together. My father is 85 and he insists on us going to go see him. We worry, but he wont live forever and dont want to lose out on his last years.

But please do what is best for you, and for your family, thats not for me to decide.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I still see some ticks, but i am not finding them everywhere anymore. A lot were hiding in the window sills and we just noticed this week. They've diminished since we found their hiding spot.
Any kind of smoke really, but you'll want it to be constant and last for a while. If anyone smokes cigarettes that would work, or you can just burn some green wood and leaves in a coffee can and set it near the outlet. Probably want to take the batteries out of any smoke detectors before trying it though.

Of course, if they're coming out of all the outlets that's going to be a major problem and you may have to hire an exterminator because that means they're probably in the walls.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear that you have more energy! That must feel great! I know about food being a comfort.

I'm less glad to hear that the ticks are still around. Hopefully you can get that sorted, too. And I hope your heart is all right! And that your dad is doing better.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
okay, i have been careful. The outlet seems to be where they are, i have found them all over the house. For some strange reason, not a single tick has gotten on my cats. I think i read that regular revolution protects against dog ticks. Not sure where i read this. I found a tick on a window sill that the cats hang out on, and it never bothered getting on my cats.

They havent bothered fumigating yet, and my niece isnt bothering to do the daily vacuuming that would help get rid of them.

-

Been feeling better lately, so i have been keeping busy around the house when i am not working. The exercise i have been doing daily has given me so much energy. Still struggling with weight loss, but i have stopped the scale from going up, which is a big improvement. I was so tired and lacking energy, that i would have to fall asleep sitting for a few minutes when i would go spend the day with my niece. I went to see her this weekend and didnt feel drained at the end of the day. :banana1:

I have been feeling anxious though as i have made big changes (positive changes) to try to lose weight. I hate saying it, but food is comforting to me. No matter what emotion i am feeling, food helps fill a void. I feel great physically, but not mentally. I just want to feel better physically at this point, and hope the mental health will follow along.

Been really anxious these past two weeks which is why i havent been active much. I have struggled with heart palpitations since i was a teen, and lately i have this fear that i might have a heart attack. I know its just nerves. But its a fear i have since my mom passed away. She died of cancer, but in her last moments, she had a heart attack. My grand mother died of a heart attack. My father has a half functioning heart. :paranoid: I keep panicking because i read that its more dangerous for younger person to have a heart attack than it is for an older person. My obsessive personality getting the better of me once again. lol

Dont know if i mentioned it here. My dad had a health scare. He randomly passed out, which is scary for a man that is 85 years old. Had to stay in the hospital two days. They think it was lower blood pressure. He has had more hospital visits now that he is older.

My family is nervous, but we still spend time together. Life is very short, but we do have to be careful. We dont want to miss out on being together. My father is 85 and he insists on us going to go see him. We worry, but he wont live forever and dont want to lose out on his last years.

But please do what is best for you, and for your family, thats not for me to decide.
Heart issues are the stated reason for almost all, if not all, deaths. It is a natural cause of death.
A great many people have heart palpitations and stress-related heart issues. We can control this to a great degree by limiting avoidable stress in our lives through making the best choices for ourselves. We can't live others' lives and bottom line, their choices are theirs, not ours. We can care, and we can help when possible, but if others don't want help/insist on making bad choices, the best thing we can do is to not get sucked into their downward spiral. That helps NO ONE and harms us. I've had to cut quite a few people loose over the years because of this. People who insist on being negative will only drag everyone around them down. I won't let that happen.
Revolution Plus is the information from the manufacturer of Revolution. If this link is too long and is removed, just google "Revolution kills ticks?" and you can bring it up yourself.

Yes, food is used as a comfort by a lot of people. That's a trap it's best not to fall into. Food is to keep us alive -- nothing more. Using food, alcohol or other drugs, etc., as a panacea is harmful. But we can change that by just not doing it.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In case my words about food sound too harsh, though, I'm just like everyone else when it comes to enjoying food. But I've learned to eat whatever I want, whenever I want -- just not too much! and yeah, some things have just gotten discontinued from my personal menu choices -- either too rich, or too rich for my blood in terms of $$$. And since I have roomies, I need to keep food prep and cleanup to a minimum, so simplicity is a "must" and some of the complicated stuff I used to make just isn't practical any more.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any kind of smoke really, but you'll want it to be constant and last for a while. If anyone smokes cigarettes that would work, or you can just burn some green wood and leaves in a coffee can and set it near the outlet. Probably want to take the batteries out of any smoke detectors before trying it though.

Of course, if they're coming out of all the outlets that's going to be a major problem and you may have to hire an exterminator because that means they're probably in the walls.
Ok, i might try that. No one really smokes in the house.

But i will say that i am not seeing them as much anymore. Havent found one in two days. I have to do a good check in a bit, you only see them when you are looking.

We did want to hire an exterminator, but no one wants to pay for it. My niece caused this, and they are trying to get rid of them on their own. :(

I'm so glad to hear that you have more energy! That must feel great! I know about food being a comfort.

I'm less glad to hear that the ticks are still around. Hopefully you can get that sorted, too. And I hope your heart is all right! And that your dad is doing better.
Thank you! It always means a lot to see you in my thread. :heartshape:I am definitely much better. I remember a few months ago, when i would get out of breath by doing simple things. Walking down the stairs, cleaning, and the scariest day was when i walked from my car to the walmart entrance and i was literally out of breath. That really alarmed me. I can run up and down the stairs now without losing my breath. Just wish the weight loss was faster.
:banana1:

Heart issues are the stated reason for almost all, if not all, deaths. It is a natural cause of death.
A great many people have heart palpitations and stress-related heart issues. We can control this to a great degree by limiting avoidable stress in our lives through making the best choices for ourselves. We can't live others' lives and bottom line, their choices are theirs, not ours. We can care, and we can help when possible, but if others don't want help/insist on making bad choices, the best thing we can do is to not get sucked into their downward spiral. That helps NO ONE and harms us. I've had to cut quite a few people loose over the years because of this. People who insist on being negative will only drag everyone around them down. I won't let that happen.
Revolution Plus is the information from the manufacturer of Revolution. If this link is too long and is removed, just google "Revolution kills ticks?" and you can bring it up yourself.

Yes, food is used as a comfort by a lot of people. That's a trap it's best not to fall into. Food is to keep us alive -- nothing more. Using food, alcohol or other drugs, etc., as a panacea is harmful. But we can change that by just not doing it.
Thank you, i really needed to hear this. You seem to know me so well. I spend so much time worrying about others when i know i cant change other people, or their circumstances. And you're completely right about how i use food for comfort. No one is forcing me to do it. Most days i am okay. Its when i feel mentally down that it feels almost overwhelming. It doesnt help that the meds i am on are meant to cause weight gain/hunger. I wake up in the middle of the night feeling like i havent eaten in days, causes me to lose sleep.

I havent gained weight for about 2 months, and now I lost 4 lbs (i know, its not much, but i was gaining 10 lbs a month :help:). I have a lot more stamina too. :agree:

In case my words about food sound too harsh, though, I'm just like everyone else when it comes to enjoying food. But I've learned to eat whatever I want, whenever I want -- just not too much! and yeah, some things have just gotten discontinued from my personal menu choices -- either too rich, or too rich for my blood in terms of $$$. And since I have roomies, I need to keep food prep and cleanup to a minimum, so simplicity is a "must" and some of the complicated stuff I used to make just isn't practical any more.
No need to clarify, i didnt see your words as harsh, at all. I cant keep falling into the trap of using food to numb myself. I can continue giving myself excuses that i am addicted to the food, or that it helps me mentally. But all i am doing is causing myself a great harm. I am diabetic, have high blood pressure, and my cholesterol was so high one of the numbers didnt even show up on the test.

It just brings me down that i have lost the weight before and regained it. I might look into therapy if my insurance covers it. Not sure if it will help, but it might be worth a try. I'm 35 years old and my health is starting to mirror my mothers health (when she was in her 60s) which is really scary for me.

Something my sister told me has been weighing on my mind. She doesnt like that i am on the medication to fix the abnormal cells in my uterus. Shes told me supplements can "help me" but i can keep taking the medicine if i want. She even told me that my mom wouldnt like that i am taking the medication. :rolleyes: That comment really got to me, its been hard to not have my mom with me during all my health issues. I was there through all her health problems, and it affects me that shes not here with me now.

To be completely honest, when i was younger, i didnt really care about myself very much. Some days i still dont. I had a biopsy under anesthesia last year, and i remember thinking that it wouldnt be such a bad thing if i didnt wake up.

I always convince myself to keep going because other people need me. My mom needed me when she was alive. And now i have my niece Abby to think about. I helped raise her, and dont want her to grieve me if i am gone.The cats also need me. I try to be happy, but its something i have always found elusive. Making other people happy is what i have always put value in.

Sorry, my post is all over the place. Just been in a strange mindset lately, and dont have many people in my life that would understand. My mom was the only one that understood all the messed up thoughts that i would have.

Are you absolutely sure they are ticks and not bed bugs? They do look alike except for the color, with bed bugs being reddish.
Yes, we are sure. The ticks were on my nieces dog. They started in the garage. The dog was bleeding, and had clumps of them all over his body. Never seen anything like it.

I've seen pictures of bed bugs, and i am sure these are ticks. :barfgreen: They are mostly downstairs. We only saw them upstairs once.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! It always means a lot to see you in my thread. :heartshape:I am definitely much better. I remember a few months ago, when i would get out of breath by doing simple things. Walking down the stairs, cleaning, and the scariest day was when i walked from my car to the walmart entrance and i was literally out of breath. That really alarmed me. I can run up and down the stairs now without losing my breath. Just wish the weight loss was faster.
I don't always know what to say, but I'm always reading!

Congrats on your 4lb loss. I've been doing therapy, teletherapy now, and I've found it helpful overall. If you can get your insurance to cover it or find someone with a sliding scale (or maybe someone through your job because colleges usually have counselling at least), it couldn't hurt!

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't always know what to say, but I'm always reading!

Congrats on your 4lb loss. I've been doing therapy, teletherapy now, and I've found it helpful overall. If you can get your insurance to cover it or find someone with a sliding scale (or maybe someone through your job because colleges usually have counselling at least), it couldn't hurt!
Knowing you are there, helps me a lot. :heartshape:

I will look into it. The definition of insanity is to do the same thing and expect different results. :lol: Might as well try something new. I am happy to hear that its at least been helpful for you.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, i might try that. No one really smokes in the house.

But i will say that i am not seeing them as much anymore. Havent found one in two days. I have to do a good check in a bit, you only see them when you are looking.

We did want to hire an exterminator, but no one wants to pay for it. My niece caused this, and they are trying to get rid of them on their own. :(

Thank you, i really needed to hear this. You seem to know me so well. I spend so much time worrying about others when i know i cant change other people, or their circumstances. And you're completely right about how i use food for comfort. No one is forcing me to do it. Most days i am okay. Its when i feel mentally down that it feels almost overwhelming. It doesnt help that the meds i am on are meant to cause weight gain/hunger. I wake up in the middle of the night feeling like i havent eaten in days, causes me to lose sleep.

I havent gained weight for about 2 months, and now I lost 4 lbs (i know, its not much, but i was gaining 10 lbs a month :help:). I have a lot more stamina too. :agree:

No need to clarify, i didnt see your words as harsh, at all. I cant keep falling into the trap of using food to numb myself. I can continue giving myself excuses that i am addicted to the food, or that it helps me mentally. But all i am doing is causing myself a great harm. I am diabetic, have high blood pressure, and my cholesterol was so high one of the numbers didnt even show up on the test.

It just brings me down that i have lost the weight before and regained it. I might look into therapy if my insurance covers it. Not sure if it will help, but it might be worth a try. I'm 35 years old and my health is starting to mirror my mothers health (when she was in her 60s) which is really scary for me.

Something my sister told me has been weighing on my mind. She doesnt like that i am on the medication to fix the abnormal cells in my uterus. Shes told me supplements can "help me" but i can keep taking the medicine if i want. She even told me that my mom wouldnt like that i am taking the medication. :rolleyes: That comment really got to me, its been hard to not have my mom with me during all my health issues. I was there through all her health problems, and it affects me that shes not here with me now.

To be completely honest, when i was younger, i didnt really care about myself very much. Some days i still dont. I had a biopsy under anesthesia last year, and i remember thinking that it wouldnt be such a bad thing if i didnt wake up.

I always convince myself to keep going because other people need me. My mom needed me when she was alive. And now i have my niece Abby to think about. I helped raise her, and dont want her to grieve me if i am gone.The cats also need me. I try to be happy, but its something i have always found elusive. Making other people happy is what i have always put value in.

Sorry, my post is all over the place. Just been in a strange mindset lately, and dont have many people in my life that would understand. My mom was the only one that understood all the messed up thoughts that i would have.

Yes, we are sure. The ticks were on my nieces dog. They started in the garage. The dog was bleeding, and had clumps of them all over his body. Never seen anything like it.

I've seen pictures of bed bugs, and i am sure these are ticks. :barfgreen: They are mostly downstairs. We only saw them upstairs once.
*Big hugs*
All of what you say resonates loudly with me! Some thoughts:

Illnesses "running in the family"/being hereditary is the popular explanation from the medical community. I do not necessarily believe it. Illnesses may well run in the family -- because people in families grow up eating the same food, in the same amounts, and having the same or similar lifestyles (not exercising, smoking, spending too much time sitting, drinking alcohol, using other drugs, etc. -- or good lifestyle actions. Fortunately for me, my folks worked really hard, ate pretty well for the times, and lived a pretty good lifestyle for the times. I am forever grateful to them. One thing my mom always did was serve a green salad every night at dinner time. So I make one every day, too, except when I make Chinese food (it doesn't go with that and it's not a thing in Chinese culture).
As for how you feel, I've certainly felt the same way. There was a time in my life when I didn't want to wake up, either. Fortunately, I was overridden and so I'm still here. That was a catless time in my life. Those have always been the worst. When there are cats in my life, I have every good reason to be here and to take the best care of myself that I can. They need me and depend on me. We love each other. That's more than enough. I'm all about wanting others to be happy, too; but I have realized that "you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time." Even family, and best friends, aren't going to be happy with me all the time. That's not my fault. It's not their fault, either. It's just how life is.
And 4 pounds! That's not a little thing at all. It's a major win!!! Every goal starts with one step forward. Sometimes there are steps backward, too. The important thing is to acknowledge your steps forward, forgive yourself for lapses, and pick yourself up and keep going forward on the road to your goals. No accomplishment is unimportant. Experts say, too, that it is hard to lose weight. IDK if I agree with that -- it depends on a lot of things, after all -- but quick fixes end up being no fixes at all. You're doing a great job. Keep up the good work!
And there are times when I run for the tortilla chips -- my comfort food -- too. When I do, I stuff my face a few times. Then I tell myself to fold up the bag and put it away. And I do.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm mostly reading too, but don't have much to say, other than I'm hopeful that things will turn around for you soon. 🤗🤗🤗
Thank you! :heartshape: I already recognize the names of the people that stop by to give purraise. Just knowing there are so many people here that are reading my thoughts and genuinely care means so much to me. Its not easy for me to speak up in my regular life. So this forum has been really helpful, and makes me feel like i am letting out feelings that i tend to push down.

*Big hugs*
All of what you say resonates loudly with me! Some thoughts:

Illnesses "running in the family"/being hereditary is the popular explanation from the medical community. I do not necessarily believe it. Illnesses may well run in the family -- because people in families grow up eating the same food, in the same amounts, and having the same or similar lifestyles (not exercising, smoking, spending too much time sitting, drinking alcohol, using other drugs, etc. -- or good lifestyle actions. Fortunately for me, my folks worked really hard, ate pretty well for the times, and lived a pretty good lifestyle for the times. I am forever grateful to them. One thing my mom always did was serve a green salad every night at dinner time. So I make one every day, too, except when I make Chinese food (it doesn't go with that and it's not a thing in Chinese culture).
As for how you feel, I've certainly felt the same way. There was a time in my life when I didn't want to wake up, either. Fortunately, I was overridden and so I'm still here. That was a catless time in my life. Those have always been the worst. When there are cats in my life, I have every good reason to be here and to take the best care of myself that I can. They need me and depend on me. We love each other. That's more than enough. I'm all about wanting others to be happy, too; but I have realized that "you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time." Even family, and best friends, aren't going to be happy with me all the time. That's not my fault. It's not their fault, either. It's just how life is.
And 4 pounds! That's not a little thing at all. It's a major win!!! Every goal starts with one step forward. Sometimes there are steps backward, too. The important thing is to acknowledge your steps forward, forgive yourself for lapses, and pick yourself up and keep going forward on the road to your goals. No accomplishment is unimportant. Experts say, too, that it is hard to lose weight. IDK if I agree with that -- it depends on a lot of things, after all -- but quick fixes end up being no fixes at all. You're doing a great job. Keep up the good work!
And there are times when I run for the tortilla chips -- my comfort food -- too. When I do, I stuff my face a few times. Then I tell myself to fold up the bag and put it away. And I do.
My mom was always trying improve our health. But i dont think there was much knowledge in that time. She came from Cuba where there was scarcity of food. Then she got here and there was an abundance of food. She fed us what they ate in cuba, but bigger portions. But doctors couldnt really guide her on how to fix her diet/diabetes. Especially when cuban food is so full of carbs. It saddens me that she didnt have the information that we have now. She could only speak spanish and caught her diabetes when she was older.

I have a funny memory. She started making me oatmeal when i was struggling with my weight. Because oatmeal is healthy right? But i look back and realize the portion was way too big and she added chocolate chips/sugar to make it appetizing. :flail: She couldnt understand why i was gaining weight. I remember her genuine confusion. I dont know why but i always remember that and start laughing like an idiot. We didnt start understanding about calories until i got older and started using the internet.

I do think genes can make us predisposed to illnesses. But i think we definitely trigger things by eating just like our family members. It just sucks that im her only child to have diabetes. None of my siblings have it, and they all struggle with their weight. (Not that i want them to have it lol.)

I know what you mean about cats making things better. I always worry about what would happen to them if i am gone. A niece i am close to told me she wouldn't abandon them. I told her if she couldnt take them in, to at least find them someone she knows to take them in. I made her give me her word, so hopefully she will follow through. They are one of the reasons i choose to take care of myself. My niece is the other reason.

Shes probably my biggest worry. I am sure i mentioned in this thread a while back that her hair had a humongous knot because her mom stopped combing her hair. She still hasnt bothered to fix it. She'll try occasionally, but her hair stinks so bad. I sent her and my brother a link stating that built up in the scalp can cause bacterial growth and bald spots. And it didnt make them react much. Shes so ridiculous she wont just cut the knot out because she doesnt want her daughter unhappy with a pixy cut. I guess its better to just have dirty knotted hair? I know worrying it not good for me, and it wont change anything, but i cant help it.

Thank you for the encouragement. It means a lot to me. :heartshape:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you! :heartshape: I already recognize the names of the people that stop by to give purraise. Just knowing there are so many people here that are reading my thoughts and genuinely care means so much to me. Its not easy for me to speak up in my regular life. So this forum has been really helpful, and makes me feel like i am letting out feelings that i tend to push down.
I remember reading your earlier posts, back when you lost your Mom, and since I'd lost my Mom not long before, and even though I'm older than you, I felt a connection with you. You've made so much progress since then, you know, such as getting a job. As well as your driver's license, right. Your Mom would be proud of you. :hearthrob:

As for your dietary changes, work on it slowly. Change doesn't happen overnight. But it can happen. 🤗

We didnt start understanding about calories until i got older and started using the internet.
The internet is so great for finding out nutritional info. I was a wannabe vegetarian for years and years, but didn't know how to go about changing my diet. But eventually I found a good book on the subject, plus tons of info on the internet, and finally made the change to eating totally meat-free, though it took me about 10 months of slowly cutting back on meat before I gave it up completely. So don't try changing your eating habits all at once, but a little bit at a time.

Shes probably my biggest worry. I am sure i mentioned in this thread a while back that her hair had a humongous knot because her mom stopped combing her hair. She still hasnt bothered to fix it. She'll try occasionally, but her hair stinks so bad. I sent her and my brother a link stating that built up in the scalp can cause bacterial growth and bald spots.
That is totally awful. How old is your niece?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My mom was always trying improve our health. But i dont think there was much knowledge in that time. She came from Cuba where there was scarcity of food. Then she got here and there was an abundance of food. She fed us what they ate in cuba, but bigger portions. But doctors couldnt really guide her on how to fix her diet/diabetes. Especially when cuban food is so full of carbs. It saddens me that she didnt have the information that we have now. She could only speak spanish and caught her diabetes when she was older.

I have a funny memory. She started making me oatmeal when i was struggling with my weight. Because oatmeal is healthy right? But i look back and realize the portion was way too big and she added chocolate chips/sugar to make it appetizing. :flail: She couldnt understand why i was gaining weight. I remember her genuine confusion. I dont know why but i always remember that and start laughing like an idiot. We didnt start understanding about calories until i got older and started using the internet.

I do think genes can make us predisposed to illnesses. But i think we definitely trigger things by eating just like our family members. It just sucks that im her only child to have diabetes. None of my siblings have it, and they all struggle with their weight. (Not that i want them to have it lol.)

I know what you mean about cats making things better. I always worry about what would happen to them if i am gone. A niece i am close to told me she wouldn't abandon them. I told her if she couldnt take them in, to at least find them someone she knows to take them in. I made her give me her word, so hopefully she will follow through. They are one of the reasons i choose to take care of myself. My niece is the other reason.

Shes probably my biggest worry. I am sure i mentioned in this thread a while back that her hair had a humongous knot because her mom stopped combing her hair. She still hasnt bothered to fix it. She'll try occasionally, but her hair stinks so bad. I sent her and my brother a link stating that built up in the scalp can cause bacterial growth and bald spots. And it didnt make them react much. Shes so ridiculous she wont just cut the knot out because she doesnt want her daughter unhappy with a pixy cut. I guess its better to just have dirty knotted hair? I know worrying it not good for me, and it wont change anything, but i cant help it.

Thank you for the encouragement. It means a lot to me. :heartshape:
Cuban food is amazing! (At least, what you can get in the Versailles restaurant here is. I can't eat anything with pork, but I love the rice and black beans, platanos etc.) Yeah, it's pretty heavy, but again, smaller portions! And oatmeal with chocolate chip cookies? I think oatmeal by itself is like library paste without the added flavoring so I put chocolate chips, raisins, and nuts in it when I have them, or if I don't, I put cinnamon, a little sugar (I prefer the raw sugar and I buy Zulka -- it's Mexican) and some allspice. Whatever I eat, it has to have FLAVOR! A lot of what I eat is pretty plain, but I have shelves and drawers full of spices. No food has to be boring! ;)
Wherever the culture is, if it's in the Caribbean, it's going to be full of flavor and life. I lived in Jamaica for awhile and cook a lot of things from there. Fresh fruits and vegetables, lots of chiles! and rice. Not that different from things in Cuba, right? Rice and peas (what beans are called in JA) make a complete protein and are quality food. They're also SO good.
My hair is every texture, from straight to highly textured. So it tends to lock up easily. I used to take scissors and cut out a lot of it underneath and my mom would tell me not to. (I still should. It's a mess.) But yes, if a person's hair smells bad, it's an indicator that something's not right. Bad smells anywhere, from anything, are telling us that something's wrong. That's why they smell bad to us. Infection and illness cause that. We have sebaceous (oil) glands on our heads, that lubricate our hair and keep it healthy; but if we don't keep our heads clean, they can clog and create real problems. And in your niece's case, she NEEDS to have that problem fixed right away. Even shaving it and wearing a wig or a scarf until it grows out would be preferable. Especially during these times when a lot of kids go to school online, it wouldn't be so bad for her. It's not like there isn't shampoo available, and scissors/razors if needed, to fix this. Most people's hair grows fairly fast and she wouldn't have to be unhappy for long. (She'd be a lot happier, too, with nice clean shiny hair! and a scalp that doesn't itch and cause discomfort.)
It's my understanding that one type of diabetes, Type 2, can be controlled, improved, or even eradicated, through diet. If that's what you have, you may want to google something like "Type 2 Diabetes dietary choices" and you'll see a lot of suggestions on what is good to eat and what to avoid. A lot of really good things are recommended.
Sending love and purrs to your sweet cats!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Matted hair can trigger a CPS visit. I don't know if she's physically going to school but if so, the teacher might call it in. Maybe that'll get them motivated.

My niece is on the spectrum and doesn't like to have anyone mess with her hair, so I know how complicated it can be. But once a child is over 6 or so, they can usually understand that matted hair isn't acceptable and can say what they want to do about it (short haircut, try to comb it out with coconut oil, etc.).

My niece doesn't want short hair but will agree to a professional hair trim once a month or so, and the hairstylist combs it out completely it doesn't get too matted the rest of the month. Granted, not every family can work that into the budget or take the time every month, but there must be something they can agree on to take care of it.

At any rate they really do need to do something before they end up investigated for neglect.

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise

-

well we wont be having thanksgiving but maybe a small family christmas though at the in laws

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry I've not been on site much but so happy you have such a wonderful support base here. I know its hard but take time each day to concentrate on happiness and joy for yourself and your kittys. You can't take the weight of the world on your shoulders. Not gaining and losing weight is great news. Be proud of yourself! Stay safe and hang in there!

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember reading your earlier posts, back when you lost your Mom, and since I'd lost my Mom not long before, and even though I'm older than you, I felt a connection with you. You've made so much progress since then, you know, such as getting a job. As well as your driver's license, right. Your Mom would be proud of you. :hearthrob:

As for your dietary changes, work on it slowly. Change doesn't happen overnight. But it can happen. 🤗

The internet is so great for finding out nutritional info. I was a wannabe vegetarian for years and years, but didn't know how to go about changing my diet. But eventually I found a good book on the subject, plus tons of info on the internet, and finally made the change to eating totally meat-free, though it took me about 10 months of slowly cutting back on meat before I gave it up completely. So don't try changing your eating habits all at once, but a little bit at a time.

That is totally awful. How old is your niece?
Cant believe you remember the beginning of my posts. :heartshape: I do feel like i have grown a lot since my mom has passed. But I hope i can make more progress soon. I havent managed my biggest goal, which is to be completely independent. The anniversary of her passing was last week 10/22/2016. I really hope she would be proud of me. I have a lot of unresolved guilt towards my mom. Mostly the anger i felt towards the end of her life. I didnt handle her illness very well, and was so angry and afraid towards the end.

Thank you for the advice. That is what i have been doing. Making small changes that have slowly built up. Some days are easier than others, but i already feel stronger and healthier.

My niece is 9 years old. My sister claims that my brother gave her permission to cut Abbys hair when she comes down to visit in December. They plan to do it behind my SILs back. Hopefully he doesnt change his mind.

Cuban food is amazing! (At least, what you can get in the Versailles restaurant here is. I can't eat anything with pork, but I love the rice and black beans, platanos etc.) Yeah, it's pretty heavy, but again, smaller portions! And oatmeal with chocolate chip cookies? I think oatmeal by itself is like library paste without the added flavoring so I put chocolate chips, raisins, and nuts in it when I have them, or if I don't, I put cinnamon, a little sugar (I prefer the raw sugar and I buy Zulka -- it's Mexican) and some allspice. Whatever I eat, it has to have FLAVOR! A lot of what I eat is pretty plain, but I have shelves and drawers full of spices. No food has to be boring! ;)
Wherever the culture is, if it's in the Caribbean, it's going to be full of flavor and life. I lived in Jamaica for awhile and cook a lot of things from there. Fresh fruits and vegetables, lots of chiles! and rice. Not that different from things in Cuba, right? Rice and peas (what beans are called in JA) make a complete protein and are quality food. They're also SO good.
My hair is every texture, from straight to highly textured. So it tends to lock up easily. I used to take scissors and cut out a lot of it underneath and my mom would tell me not to. (I still should. It's a mess.) But yes, if a person's hair smells bad, it's an indicator that something's not right. Bad smells anywhere, from anything, are telling us that something's wrong. That's why they smell bad to us. Infection and illness cause that. We have sebaceous (oil) glands on our heads, that lubricate our hair and keep it healthy; but if we don't keep our heads clean, they can clog and create real problems. And in your niece's case, she NEEDS to have that problem fixed right away. Even shaving it and wearing a wig or a scarf until it grows out would be preferable. Especially during these times when a lot of kids go to school online, it wouldn't be so bad for her. It's not like there isn't shampoo available, and scissors/razors if needed, to fix this. Most people's hair grows fairly fast and she wouldn't have to be unhappy for long. (She'd be a lot happier, too, with nice clean shiny hair! and a scalp that doesn't itch and cause discomfort.)
It's my understanding that one type of diabetes, Type 2, can be controlled, improved, or even eradicated, through diet. If that's what you have, you may want to google something like "Type 2 Diabetes dietary choices" and you'll see a lot of suggestions on what is good to eat and what to avoid. A lot of really good things are recommended.
Sending love and purrs to your sweet cats!
Theres nothing like home cooked cuban food. :loveeyes: I have yet gone to a restaurant that compares to my moms and my sisters cooking. If you have never tried congri, then you are missing out. I do still eat some cuban foods. But i try to focus more on fruits/vegetables. It has made me feel a lot better. I have type 2 diabetes, and my numbers have gone down significantly.

About my niece, its just frustrating, if they had cut my nieces hair 6 months ago, it would have grown out by now. My sister told me shes cutting her hair when she comes down in December. She spoke to my brother about the article i found. Hopefully it truly does get cut. Theres supposedly ways to remove matted knots, but i agree with you, i think its easier just to cut them. The knot became worse because they didnt handle it fast enough.

Thats awesome that you lived in Jamaica. What was it like there?

Matted hair can trigger a CPS visit. I don't know if she's physically going to school but if so, the teacher might call it in. Maybe that'll get them motivated.

My niece is on the spectrum and doesn't like to have anyone mess with her hair, so I know how complicated it can be. But once a child is over 6 or so, they can usually understand that matted hair isn't acceptable and can say what they want to do about it (short haircut, try to comb it out with coconut oil, etc.).

My niece doesn't want short hair but will agree to a professional hair trim once a month or so, and the hairstylist combs it out completely it doesn't get too matted the rest of the month. Granted, not every family can work that into the budget or take the time every month, but there must be something they can agree on to take care of it.

At any rate they really do need to do something before they end up investigated for neglect.
Shes staying home for now, at least until the end of the year. My SIL keeps claiming shes going to take care of it. But doesnt. Shes spent money on buying head wraps to hide my nieces hair on the school video camera. :headshake: My sister is telling me shes going to be cutting out the knot this december. So if my niece goes back to school, she will be going with a pixie cut. But at this point anything is better than what she has.

I am glad you can afford that kind of care for your niece. :loveeyes: I used to take care of my nieces hair, i would sit her in front of a TV and it would sometimes take me 20-30 minutes to ease the knots out of her hair. She has such tangly hair, not sure why. I would also trim her hair regularly myself. But her mom is impatient and would try to get it done fast and sometimes leave behind knots. I tried advising her, but parents dont really like receiving advice i have noticed. I can understand your niece. I have had to listen to my own niece scream as her mother tried combing her hair. :sigh: i dont like the thought of a child feeling pain.

well we wont be having thanksgiving but maybe a small family christmas though at the in laws
I am glad you will be able to celebrate in some way.:heartshape:

Sorry I've not been on site much but so happy you have such a wonderful support base here. I know its hard but take time each day to concentrate on happiness and joy for yourself and your kittys. You can't take the weight of the world on your shoulders. Not gaining and losing weight is great news. Be proud of yourself! Stay safe and hang in there!
No need to apologize. :heartshape: Thank you for commenting, it means a lot.

i try to remind myself not to make other peoples problems my own, but im more like my mother than i thought. Up until the end she always worried more for others than for herself. But i am definitely working on improving my mindset. Having everyone here as a support has made a huge difference for me. :loveeyes: