Venting....

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been busy dealing with a flea/tick infestation we are going through. Its pretty bad, all the treatments we are using dont seem to be phasing them much. Spooky is doing better now that hes on his flea medicine. They even treated the grass.

But the garage is full of fleas and ticks. They snuck into the house using an air vent in the bathroom. So, now they are discussing looking for pest control companies. I want the bugs gone, but its a stress that i might need to leave the house for a few hours (days?) I dont have money to be going to hotels. Plus, Kitty becomes so stressed whenever we leave the house. Its a hassle to take her anywhere.

Not sure whats going to happen.

They expect to get rid of a huge infestation quickly, but ive read it can take months. It angers me that my niece isnt taking ownership of this. She says that in the past her mom would help her buy it and apply it on the dog. She says that its her BFs fault for not giving her money for the flea medicine for the dog... And yet i see her with cash all the time buying useless junk for her child. An 80$ bear, and a 60$ record player. Clothes that are expensive when she can just shop clearance or sales. She could have bought it at any moment. But she acts like she did nothing wrong.

I have to go through the garage, i have a bunch of containers, things that would be useful if i move. I am not sure what to do with them. I was tempted to go through them and rent out a storage unit. But then i am wasting money, instead of saving. I need to see if the ticks managed to get into the bigger containers, which is possible as they got into the smaller ones i had. I have so much stuff unfortunately. :sigh:

This is going to make me sound awful, but her BF was offered a job where he is going to another state for 6 months. My niece wants to stay here instead of following him. But i kind of hope she follows him just so i wont have to deal with them and their issues. I am trying to give her neutral advice as i dont want the guilt if she ends up hating it over there. But i would love for them to leave. Just no idea how this house would be paid for without them. :sigh:

P.s. finally bought my cats their carriers:

View attachment 351721View attachment 351722View attachment 351723View attachment 351724View attachment 351725
Nice carriers! Good on ya for getting them.
Are the storage containers washable? And the contents?
People really need to strategize. Yes, some things can be expensive and some things may not be glamorous to buy; but if they had applied topical flea stuff to their poor dog from the start, regularly, NONE of this would be happening. The expensive stuff for kids? *PLEASE stop me from even starting.*
Maybe you could get a stroller on one of the sites where people buy and sell stuff locally? I've never gone on any of these but I know there are a lot of them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nice carriers! Good on ya for getting them.
Are the storage containers washable? And the contents?
People really need to strategize. Yes, some things can be expensive and some things may not be glamorous to buy; but if they had applied topical flea stuff to their poor dog from the start, regularly, NONE of this would be happening. The expensive stuff for kids? *PLEASE stop me from even starting.*
Maybe you could get a stroller on one of the sites where people buy and sell stuff locally? I've never gone on any of these but I know there are a lot of them.
The containers i can rinse off. I have different things inside, so im not sure what i can save. I have clothes, and things to use around the house for when i move out. I've just put it off because of my back pain. And now the garage is so full of ticks that im nervous to go in there. lol I am going to have to do it, to see if theres anything i can save.

To be honest, i am scared we are going to get rid of the bugs and they wont keep up with the dogs flea medicine. That dog attracts bugs like you would not believe. I hope this teaches them a lesson. I am just frustrated because i have been roped into this and been stuck buying bug sprays. I let her know to shave him down to help him from getting reinfested and they havent bothered to do that. They just dont listen. Shes waiting for her BF to shave him, and its not even his dog. lolol

I didnt think to check offerup for a pet stroller. I was worried they might get anxious smelling another animal on the stroller. Not sure if they would be that picky. lol

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The containers i can rinse off. I have different things inside, so im not sure what i can save. I have clothes, and things to use around the house for when i move out. I've just put it off because of my back pain. And now the garage is so full of ticks that im nervous to go in there. lol I am going to have to do it, to see if theres anything i can save.

To be honest, i am scared we are going to get rid of the bugs and they wont keep up with the dogs flea medicine. That dog attracts bugs like you would not believe. I hope this teaches them a lesson. I am just frustrated because i have been roped into this and been stuck buying bug sprays. I let her know to shave him down to help him from getting reinfested and they havent bothered to do that. They just dont listen. Shes waiting for her BF to shave him, and its not even his dog. lolol

I didnt think to check offerup for a pet stroller. I was worried they might get anxious smelling another animal on the stroller. Not sure if they would be that picky. lol
You can clean a stroller with enzymatic cleaner such as Nature's Miracle and then spray with Feliway if necessary.
Well, sorry to say this, but I'd put my foot down on ANY expenses that aren't mine. That should stop. Sorry if I'm being too blunt, but I absolutely won't pay anyone else's expenses. It's not fair and it encourages more taking advantage.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can clean a stroller with enzymatic cleaner such as Nature's Miracle and then spray with Feliway if necessary.
Well, sorry to say this, but I'd put my foot down on ANY expenses that aren't mine. That should stop. Sorry if I'm being too blunt, but I absolutely won't pay anyone else's expenses. It's not fair and it encourages more taking advantage.
That's true. I'll look around to see what's out there. Thank you!

I wasn't really doing it to help them out. I was helping to buy sprays because i was hoping to avoid a fumigating/ exterminator having to come in. Kitty freaks out every time we leave the house. So i was helping for my own benefit. But it seems we might need to call in an expert its gotten too bad.

Now I'm worried about the kitties. The ticks haven't gotten on them. So i thought their flea med is working. But i think the one im using (revolution) doesn't protect against. Now I'm worried theyll get on them. Not sure how common it is for a tick to get on a cat. Plus i applied the revolution today, i don't want to buy another medicine and give them something else so fast.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's true. I'll look around to see what's out there. Thank you!

I wasn't really doing it to help them out. I was helping to buy sprays because i was hoping to avoid a fumigating/ exterminator having to come in. Kitty freaks out every time we leave the house. So i was helping for my own benefit. But it seems we might need to call in an expert its gotten too bad.

Now I'm worried about the kitties. The ticks haven't gotten on them. So i thought their flea med is working. But i think the one im using (revolution) doesn't protect against. Now I'm worried theyll get on them. Not sure how common it is for a tick to get on a cat. Plus i applied the revolution today, i don't want to buy another medicine and give them something else so fast.
I really don't have any answers any more. I'm so sorry this mess is like it is. I hope it gets better. Certainly for your cats' sake!!!

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't have any answers any more. I'm so sorry this mess is like it is. I hope it gets better. Certainly for your cats' sake!!!
No worries, Your support is enough. :heartshape:I've been praying for them to move away. Just to avoid all this hassle. But i have no idea how we'd afford this house if that happens. Would love to have some alone time for a while.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they do leave renting the room out would be something, though it might be harder to do now.
Thats very true. My sister sometimes says she wants to rent the house, but then flips and says she would never rent to strangers. So, who knows?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Renting or leasing is always a dicey proposition, especially in this society and in these times. People are so undependable and tricky!
I know. Not sure what my sister would decide to do. But it would be nice to have the house to myself. lol My nieces BF is more hormonal than i am, and im on hormone medication. lol He throws tantrums for the silliest things. He will even deny my niece his car when he throws his hissy fits. Which seems controlling and disturbing, but i guess thats just me.

I found out that my old room in my childhood home is being converted into a dog room. My brothers adopting a puppy and sticking it in my room. So if anything goes wrong here, my childhood home isnt an option anymore. Even though i dont know if i would have wanted to go back. My brother constantly mentions that his allergies are better without having pet hair around the house. He thinks his allergies will be fine is the dog sleeps in the room, and is out in the yard during the day.

Plus, i dont think i could force the cats to live in a bedroom. I have been locking the kitties up to deal with the tick problem. Kitty chases me to the door and runs down the stairs. She's a big girl, but incredibly fast!

Me trying to beat her to the door the other day:
20200918_202647.jpg

Talking about the kitties. I was supposed to take them for their yearly checkup back in March, but the whole covid thing happened. I called and found out that they are still asking people to stay in the car while they bring in the pets. That makes me nervous. Kitty went crazy the one time i left her alone in the vet to get a urine sample. Everyone in the waiting room could hear her screaming. They had to end up sedating her. :sigh: Not sure when things are going back to normal and if i should wait it out a bit.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know. Not sure what my sister would decide to do. But it would be nice to have the house to myself. lol My nieces BF is more hormonal than i am, and im on hormone medication. lol He throws tantrums for the silliest things. He will even deny my niece his car when he throws his hissy fits. Which seems controlling and disturbing, but i guess thats just me.

I found out that my old room in my childhood home is being converted into a dog room. My brothers adopting a puppy and sticking it in my room. So if anything goes wrong here, my childhood home isnt an option anymore. Even though i dont know if i would have wanted to go back. My brother constantly mentions that his allergies are better without having pet hair around the house. He thinks his allergies will be fine is the dog sleeps in the room, and is out in the yard during the day.

Plus, i dont think i could force the cats to live in a bedroom. I have been locking the kitties up to deal with the tick problem. Kitty chases me to the door and runs down the stairs. She's a big girl, but incredibly fast!

Me trying to beat her to the door the other day:
View attachment 351912

Talking about the kitties. I was supposed to take them for their yearly checkup back in March, but the whole covid thing happened. I called and found out that they are still asking people to stay in the car while they bring in the pets. That makes me nervous. Kitty went crazy the one time i left her alone in the vet to get a urine sample. Everyone in the waiting room could hear her screaming. They had to end up sedating her. :sigh: Not sure when things are going back to normal and if i should wait it out a bit.
I would. Wait, that is. As long as they are healthy and eating, drinking and eliminating normally, I would not worry about lapsing in times like this. Not really a big fan of yearly checkups for anyone, anyway, especially if they are healthy and not showing any signs of anything concerning. Kitty is beautiful, BTW.
Between you and me, I didn't think that would be a good place for you and your loved ones, anyway, so maybe this is another sign that it's not supposed to happen. And again, I am not a professional, but I see so MANY signs of depression there! Making illogical/potentially harmful/irresponsible decisions are the signs I am seeing. Of course it's next to impossible to obtain proper care even IF people want it/realize they have a problem, so I'm wasting my time saying anything here; but it's just an observation. All you can really do in the face of all of this mess is to stay strong, keep a level head, and save everything you can so that hopefully you can get OUT of the whole situation some day.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would. Wait, that is. As long as they are healthy and eating, drinking and eliminating normally, I would not worry about lapsing in times like this. Not really a big fan of yearly checkups for anyone, anyway, especially if they are healthy and not showing any signs of anything concerning. Kitty is beautiful, BTW.
Between you and me, I didn't think that would be a good place for you and your loved ones, anyway, so maybe this is another sign that it's not supposed to happen. And again, I am not a professional, but I see so MANY signs of depression there! Making illogical/potentially harmful/irresponsible decisions are the signs I am seeing. Of course it's next to impossible to obtain proper care even IF people want it/realize they have a problem, so I'm wasting my time saying anything here; but it's just an observation. All you can really do in the face of all of this mess is to stay strong, keep a level head, and save everything you can so that hopefully you can get OUT of the whole situation some day.
Thank you for the compliment towards Kitty. :heartshape:Shes a very spoiled cat. lol

I know. I really didnt want to return to my childhood home. I believe in signs too, so im glad i didnt jump and make a bad decision. Just that living here isnt the best either.

I think you are right, i will try to put off their vet visit. i did contact my vets office today, we have a tick problem, and i was reading the flea med of my cats and realize it doesnt protect against ticks (i use regular revolution and have never had issues). :sigh: They told me that next month i can switch them to bravecto. I just applied revolution on them yesterday.

They told me to keep an eye on the cats and remove ay ticks if they attach on them. I have never removed a tick in my life. 🤮 Sounds dumb but i think id rather just take them to the vet at that point. lol They havent gone after my cats, but now im worried. My niece is spraying some bug spray this weekend downstairs. A product called black flag. She says its working well in the garage.

I wish it wasnt such a mission to keep the cats in my room. Kitty spends hours crying to be let out, and will rush out the door when i open it. Then getting her back in is a mission.

Im just disgusted and annoyed. Every time they saw a flea or tick in the house, my sister would text me about making sure my cats were on flea meds. And yet she allowed her stupid daughter to fill the house with ticks. When my cats are indoor only, and her daughters dog attracted bugs like crazy.

I was reading online that ticks typically dont survive long indoors, so hopefully this wont escalate.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think ticks survive long indoors; I've never seen an indoor tick infestation anyway. They're gross but I've gotten used to them. One time when I was a teenager I took my dog out to my uncle's farm, and she came home with 50+ ticks on her. . .ugh. . .but that cured me of any squeamishness, lol. Now I just pull the nasty suckers off and flush them. If they aren't engorged with blood I just use my fingers, but you have to be more careful if they're full or they'll spit blood back in and that's not good.

After trying a lot of specialized tick removers, my favorite tool for removing ticks is a plain ol' flea comb. Just make sure the comb teeth go around its mouth parts and comb it right off. Quick and easy and you don't have to buy anything special, plus most of the time the tick sticks in the comb teeth so you don't even have to touch it, just knock it into the toilet and flush away.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think ticks survive long indoors; I've never seen an indoor tick infestation anyway. They're gross but I've gotten used to them. One time when I was a teenager I took my dog out to my uncle's farm, and she came home with 50+ ticks on her. . .ugh. . .but that cured me of any squeamishness, lol. Now I just pull the nasty suckers off and flush them. If they aren't engorged with blood I just use my fingers, but you have to be more careful if they're full or they'll spit blood back in and that's not good.

After trying a lot of specialized tick removers, my favorite tool for removing ticks is a plain ol' flea comb. Just make sure the comb teeth go around its mouth parts and comb it right off. Quick and easy and you don't have to buy anything special, plus most of the time the tick sticks in the comb teeth so you don't even have to touch it, just knock it into the toilet and flush away.
How funny, i become traumatized by ticks in my last home. They didnt put flea meds on the two dogs for a few months, and they became infested with ticks. We started seeing them engorged with blood crawling on the walls. It was so disgusting. I dont mind killing them when i see them crawling around. Im most disgusted when they are huge and engorged with blood. 🤮

Thanks for the tip! I do have a flea comb. I started combing them since last night and so far dont see anything. I was just about to buy a tick removal tool. lol So i am glad to have seen your response.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How funny, i become traumatized by ticks in my last home. They didnt put flea meds on the two dogs for a few months, and they became infested with ticks. We started seeing them engorged with blood crawling on the walls. It was so disgusting. I dont mind killing them when i see them crawling around. Im most disgusted when they are huge and engorged with blood. 🤮

Thanks for the tip! I do have a flea comb. I started combing them since last night and so far dont see anything. I was just about to buy a tick removal tool. lol So i am glad to have seen your response.
Flea combs are the best. If you put a small bowl of soapy water by your grooming place, just put the fleas in there and they'll die. Be VERY careful with the Black Flag and the Bravecto!!! Insecticides kill. They kill more than insects. Make sure she doesn't put the spray anywhere your cats go. And you can google for more information about how dangerous Bravecto is. We are trying to get it pulled from the market. I would NEVER buy it. Merck Animal Health USA.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Flea combs are the best. If you put a small bowl of soapy water by your grooming place, just put the fleas in there and they'll die. Be VERY careful with the Black Flag and the Bravecto!!! Insecticides kill. They kill more than insects. Make sure she doesn't put the spray anywhere your cats go. And you can google for more information about how dangerous Bravecto is. We are trying to get it pulled from the market. I would NEVER buy it. Merck Animal Health USA.
Yeah.....after reading some of the legit info about bravecto I would never use it. Ask your vet about revolution+, as that's one of the safer topical treatments that's actually effective.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah.....after reading some of the legit info about bravecto I would never use it. Ask your vet about revolution+, as that's one of the safer topical treatments that's actually effective.
The sarolaner in Revolution Plus is in the same class (isoxazoline pesticides) as fluralaner (Bravecto) and all isoxazoline class products have been implicated in neurotoxicity events. So there may not be much of a difference.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The sarolaner in Revolution Plus is in the same class (isoxazoline pesticides) as fluralaner (Bravecto) and all isoxazoline class products have been implicated in neurotoxicity events. So there may not be much of a difference.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting. I hadn't heard that, but I'm definitely going to look into it.