Venting....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Crocs are great. You can't go wrong with them. A pair of black or brown ones should work for just about anything. I wear my Klogs for everything. They run wide and large, so as my feet get more swollen throughout the day, they still accomodate them. It sounds like if you can try on some Klogs you might want to try half size up. That might be good for both feet. My left is fatter than my right, and the Klogs are good for both because they have these little expanding inserts.
Platanos! and greens! And the Mediterranean diet has hummus -- my favorite, that I eat every day for lunch with a pita bread, plus Moroccan olives (I affectionately call them "my little greaseballs"), some fresh fruit in season, iced coffee and two small or one medium cookie. Salads and whole grains and fruits and vegetables are basically the Mediterranean diet, plus meat for those who eat it, like kebabs -- beef or lamb or chicken.
I'll look into the klogs. :heartshape: I was looking at the website and they look comfortable. I might just switch to my crocs for walking for now. I tried doing an exercise tape a few weeks back and the crocs werent great for that. Ended up having such bad back pain that i couldnt do it agin lol But for walking the crocs should be fine. So i might eventually need athletic shoes.

I love platanos, and i miss my moms congri. She was an amazing cook. :blush:

I have had many people recommend the Mediterranean diet. I have heard it is good for diabetics.

Been feeling down today for some reason. I was reminded of my mother today. My brother in laws mother passed away today, he is my sisters husband. I feel for him. He had a difficult childhood. His mother wasnt around much and they didnt become close until he was an adult.

My mental state isnt so great so the most random things make me break down. :sigh: I hope i dont sound like i am saying that i have it worse than my brother in law. I just meant that my mental state makes me break down easily. I have compassion for him because of what i went through with my mom.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll look into the klogs. :heartshape: I was looking at the website and they look comfortable. I might just switch to my crocs for walking for now. I tried doing an exercise tape a few weeks back and the crocs werent great for that. Ended up having such bad back pain that i couldnt do it agin lol But for walking the crocs should be fine. So i might eventually need athletic shoes.

I love platanos, and i miss my moms congri. She was an amazing cook. :blush:

I have had many people recommend the Mediterranean diet. I have heard it is good for diabetics.

Been feeling down today for some reason. I was reminded of my mother today. My brother in laws mother passed away today, he is my sisters husband. I feel for him. He had a difficult childhood. His mother wasnt around much and they didnt become close until he was an adult.

My mental state isnt so great so the most random things make me break down. :sigh: I hope i dont sound like i am saying that i have it worse than my brother in law. I just meant that my mental state makes me break down easily. I have compassion for him because of what i went through with my mom.
My heartfelt condolences to your brother-in-law and family and to your family for your loss. No matter our relationships, in all but the absolute worst cases, our mothers are the ones who love us and protect us most, or try to. It is the hardest loss.
Well, the whole world is going through this pandemic and I would guess there is hardly anyone who isn't down because of it and everything associated with it -- loss of so many people (and animals, as a result of lack of sheltering and adoptions, relinquishment, etc. -- though that is below the radar for most), sickness, loss of jobs, loss of normal life patterns, uncertainty for the future. I don't think anyone should feel they have to apologize for how they feel in these times. It takes all most of us have just to get up every day and try to carry on as normally/positively as possible. We have to try to find the good where we can. For me, it is first of all my beloved cats.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I tried doing an exercise tape a few weeks back and the crocs werent great for that. Ended up having such bad back pain that i couldnt do it agin lol But for walking the crocs should be fine. So i might eventually need athletic shoes.
Take it from someone who has been a runner for 30 years, athletic shoes are the most important component of exercise. Not just any athletic shoe either. It's one item you don't want to skimp on and buy a cheap pair of shoes. You know the old saying, "you get what you pay for." My sister is a marathon runner and we both have back issues we inherited from our parents so I feel your back pain. :hugs: One more reason why you should look into a really good pair of athletic shoes. I would suggest going to a reputable running store even though you're walking. They are professionals when it comes to footwear and will spend a lot of time going over the proper shoe for you. Also a well known running store will allow you to return a shoe within 30 days even after wearing them if it's not right for you so ask about their return/exchange policy. It's possible you may need orthotics which can help strengthen and reinforce your arches as well as reduce inflammation. I also need a shoe with a wide width not because I have wide feet but unfortunately all the years of running have taken a toll on my feet. Three good options are Brooks Ghost, New Balance and Saucony. Wishing you the best of luck!

My sincere and deepest regrets on the loss of your brother-in-law's mother. It definitely brings back memories of your own mom. :angel:

It takes all most of us have just to get up every day and try to carry on as normally/positively as possible. We have to try to find the good where we can. For me, it is first of all my beloved cats.
:yeah: This is so true and eloquently spoken.

I don't think we would be normal if we were not affected by the pandemic circumstances in some shape or form. And, yes, we absolutely have to try to stay positive and find good wherever we can. :heartshape:

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heartfelt condolences to your brother-in-law and family and to your family for your loss. No matter our relationships, in all but the absolute worst cases, our mothers are the ones who love us and protect us most, or try to. It is the hardest loss.
Well, the whole world is going through this pandemic and I would guess there is hardly anyone who isn't down because of it and everything associated with it -- loss of so many people (and animals, as a result of lack of sheltering and adoptions, relinquishment, etc. -- though that is below the radar for most), sickness, loss of jobs, loss of normal life patterns, uncertainty for the future. I don't think anyone should feel they have to apologize for how they feel in these times. It takes all most of us have just to get up every day and try to carry on as normally/positively as possible. We have to try to find the good where we can. For me, it is first of all my beloved cats.
I see it all around me. Everyone is so isolated and feeling so lost. I feel awful that it didnt occur to me that animals might be put down because of all of this. Thats just devastating. I dont like thinking about things like that, it just brings me down. Whenever i read about an animal passing, it just makes me start crying. :sigh: So many people have been affected. Who knows when things will go back to a semblance of normality? I try not to read the news, but then my niece starts telling me she hears it might take years.

---

I have an exercise update. I am going to have to put off the walking for now. The back belt helps while i wear it. But the past three days i have had the worse back pain i have had in a long time. I only get by through the day because i take ibuprofen morning and night. I dont know if the extra weight is putting pressure on my spine. Im not sure. Last time i lost weight by using an elliptical, it didnt cause me pain. But i dont want to take the risk of being in a gym for a while.

I ended up buying this supplement called Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA). Online theres claims it can help with nerve damage and back pain. Not sure if it will help, but i will try anything at this point.

Take it from someone who has been a runner for 30 years, athletic shoes are the most important component of exercise. Not just any athletic shoe either. It's one item you don't want to skimp on and buy a cheap pair of shoes. You know the old saying, "you get what you pay for." My sister is a marathon runner and we both have back issues we inherited from our parents so I feel your back pain. :hugs: One more reason why you should look into a really good pair of athletic shoes. I would suggest going to a reputable running store even though you're walking. They are professionals when it comes to footwear and will spend a lot of time going over the proper shoe for you. Also a well known running store will allow you to return a shoe within 30 days even after wearing them if it's not right for you so ask about their return/exchange policy. It's possible you may need orthotics which can help strengthen and reinforce your arches as well as reduce inflammation. I also need a shoe with a wide width not because I have wide feet but unfortunately all the years of running have taken a toll on my feet. Three good options are Brooks Ghost, New Balance and Saucony. Wishing you the best of luck!

My sincere and deepest regrets on the loss of your brother-in-law's mother. It definitely brings back memories of your own mom. :angel:

:yeah: This is so true and eloquently spoken.

I don't think we would be normal if we were not affected by the pandemic circumstances in some shape or form. And, yes, we absolutely have to try to stay positive and find good wherever we can. :heartshape:
I will look into shoes. Thank you for the store recommendations! I have always gone to sketchers, but never found the perfect pair of shoes. i would put up with one shoe being painful.

But i'll be taking a break for now from walking. My back has been acting up the past few days. It gets so bad then even slightly bending has me in so much pain. Trying ibuprofen to get the inflammation down. When it gets that bad i have to be careful. It happened to me twice that i was stuck bent forward for a few days.

Once i feel better i might try another avenue for exercise. I tried taebo (caused me pain) and so does walking, I know the elliptical doesnt hurt me, but dont want to risk the gym. I might look into online video tapes, maybe theres something gentle that wont cause me pain.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see it all around me. Everyone is so isolated and feeling so lost. I feel awful that it didnt occur to me that animals might be put down because of all of this. Thats just devastating. I dont like thinking about things like that, it just brings me down. Whenever i read about an animal passing, it just makes me start crying. :sigh: So many people have been affected. Who knows when things will go back to a semblance of normality? I try not to read the news, but then my niece starts telling me she hears it might take years.

---

I have an exercise update. I am going to have to put off the walking for now. The back belt helps while i wear it. But the past three days i have had the worse back pain i have had in a long time. I only get by through the day because i take ibuprofen morning and night. I dont know if the extra weight is putting pressure on my spine. Im not sure. Last time i lost weight by using an elliptical, it didnt cause me pain. But i dont want to take the risk of being in a gym for a while.

I ended up buying this supplement called Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA). Online theres claims it can help with nerve damage and back pain. Not sure if it will help, but i will try anything at this point.

I will look into shoes. Thank you for the store recommendations! I have always gone to sketchers, but never found the perfect pair of shoes. i would put up with one shoe being painful.

But i'll be taking a break for now from walking. My back has been acting up the past few days. It gets so bad then even slightly bending has me in so much pain. Trying ibuprofen to get the inflammation down. When it gets that bad i have to be careful. It happened to me twice that i was stuck bent forward for a few days.

Once i feel better i might try another avenue for exercise. I tried taebo (caused me pain) and so does walking, I know the elliptical doesnt hurt me, but dont want to risk the gym. I might look into online video tapes, maybe theres something gentle that wont cause me pain.
Oh, yeah. Those of us who work in advocacy knew as soon as spay/neuter was taken off the table in ACCs and shelters that this was the undoing of all of our hard work these past decades. Fortunately there are a lot of really good groups out there working to get as many kittens rescued as possible, along with adult cats, of course. We will never truly know the under-the-radar truth. But I do know it is not good. All we can do is fight the hardest with what we have, try to educate people more than ever, and harangue for spay/neuter to "open up" again NOW.
Personally, I've never been a fan of walking, because I have bad feet and it's not possible for me. Weight-lifting, aerobics, yoga and calisthenics are my preferred workout. If you ever get the opportunity to go to a sporting goods place and get a weight bench and some freeweights, you have a gym for life. The rest of the exercises don't require any equipment whatsoever. I designed my own 40-minute workout and you can, too, looking up things in those categories and putting something together that has a warmup to increase your heart rate (running in place for 2-3 min. is good) and I follow that with weights, then the rest, and a cooldown of stretches. That, with smaller portions (gradually) of whatever foods you like, should get you losing in a good way, so you can keep it off.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once things open back up again try water aerobics, it's very low impact but it's a good workout because of the water resistance. It's good for people with back and joint pain because the water also helps support you.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yeah. Those of us who work in advocacy knew as soon as spay/neuter was taken off the table in ACCs and shelters that this was the undoing of all of our hard work these past decades. Fortunately there are a lot of really good groups out there working to get as many kittens rescued as possible, along with adult cats, of course. We will never truly know the under-the-radar truth. But I do know it is not good. All we can do is fight the hardest with what we have, try to educate people more than ever, and harangue for spay/neuter to "open up" again NOW.
Personally, I've never been a fan of walking, because I have bad feet and it's not possible for me. Weight-lifting, aerobics, yoga and calisthenics are my preferred workout. If you ever get the opportunity to go to a sporting goods place and get a weight bench and some freeweights, you have a gym for life. The rest of the exercises don't require any equipment whatsoever. I designed my own 40-minute workout and you can, too, looking up things in those categories and putting something together that has a warmup to increase your heart rate (running in place for 2-3 min. is good) and I follow that with weights, then the rest, and a cooldown of stretches. That, with smaller portions (gradually) of whatever foods you like, should get you losing in a good way, so you can keep it off.
I was just reading that FIU had their campus cats euthanized during the corona virus lockdown. Why take things that far? :sigh: It makes me wonder what happened to the cats at my college, MDC. Why would that even be in their minds during a pandemic to go around and kill campus cats?

Anyway, once i feel a bit better i will look into other exercises. Been in such awful pain the past four days. Even with the pain pills its hard to even bend down. But i will keep trying until i find something.

Once things open back up again try water aerobics, it's very low impact but it's a good workout because of the water resistance. It's good for people with back and joint pain because the water also helps support you.
I think our neighborhood gym/pool opened up. I live in florida. But i want to wait a while before i start hanging out in public places like that. I do love the idea of swimming tho. :heartshape:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just reading that FIU had their campus cats euthanized during the corona virus lockdown. Why take things that far? :sigh: It makes me wonder what happened to the cats at my college, MDC. Why would that even be in their minds during a pandemic to go around and kill campus cats?

Anyway, once i feel a bit better i will look into other exercises. Been in such awful pain the past four days. Even with the pain pills its hard to even bend down. But i will keep trying until i find something.

I think our neighborhood gym/pool opened up. I live in florida. But i want to wait a while before i start hanging out in public places like that. I do love the idea of swimming tho. :heartshape:
That's unforgivable, inexcusable, senseless and diabolical.
Yes, one thing at a time. I finally gave in and put my back brace on. It is helping some, as it always does. Usually I just power through pain but sometimes my hard head means I have pain I don't need to put up with.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's unforgivable, inexcusable, senseless and diabolical.
Yes, one thing at a time. I finally gave in and put my back brace on. It is helping some, as it always does. Usually I just power through pain but sometimes my hard head means I have pain I don't need to put up with.
Trust me i was so sad when i read about the cats. We have a cat man teacher thats been taking care of the cats in our campus for years. I hope the cats are okay. Before this happened the campus was trying to find a way to streamline feeding them. So MDC seems to care about our campus cats.

Anyway, Im the same way. i push myself too far and end up hurting myself. the reason i try to be careful is because i dont want to get myself to the point that i am stuck bent over. This happened to me twice. My body was physically stuck bent forward for a week.

Work update: my boss let us know he isnt sure when we will be sent back in. I am wondering, from what i have seen my boss doesnt have much power, he just does whatever the higher people decides. I wonder who i can reach out to in a college to ask about the possibility of continuing remote work. I am wondering if they would consider letting the people with health issues stay home until things are more stable. But i am not sure who to reach out to. I dont know if our campus president reads emails.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trust me i was so sad when i read about the cats. We have a cat man teacher thats been taking care of the cats in our campus for years. I hope the cats are okay. Before this happened the campus was trying to find a way to streamline feeding them. So MDC seems to care about our campus cats.

Anyway, Im the same way. i push myself too far and end up hurting myself. the reason i try to be careful is because i dont want to get myself to the point that i am stuck bent over. This happened to me twice. My body was physically stuck bent forward for a week.

Work update: my boss let us know he isnt sure when we will be sent back in. I am wondering, from what i have seen my boss doesnt have much power, he just does whatever the higher people decides. I wonder who i can reach out to in a college to ask about the possibility of continuing remote work. I am wondering if they would consider letting the people with health issues stay home until things are more stable. But i am not sure who to reach out to. I dont know if our campus president reads emails.
Yeah, big companies such as facebook are doing that permanently, which I think is the way to go and the way of the present and the future if we want to survive.
Oh, I know about being bent over! I got so bad in the past that I was hanging on with both hands to the overhead handle on the passenger side of our car, screaming, while my ex drove us to the chiro. As I can't afford and don't have access to a good chiro any more, I CAN'T be in that state again!

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, big companies such as facebook are doing that permanently, which I think is the way to go and the way of the present and the future if we want to survive.
Oh, I know about being bent over! I got so bad in the past that I was hanging on with both hands to the overhead handle on the passenger side of our car, screaming, while my ex drove us to the chiro. As I can't afford and don't have access to a good chiro any more, I CAN'T be in that state again!
Did going to the chiro help you? My sister in law told me it didnt help her much. They did some adjustments but never told her what was actually wrong with her.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did going to the chiro help you? My sister in law told me it didnt help her much. They did some adjustments but never told her what was actually wrong with her.
Depends on the chiropractor. Some are good, some are hacks and don't actually know what they are doing. Read reviews before going to one.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he and his assistant, who was also his wife, really did help. But then something happened -- his wife disappeared from the scene, he relocated and got two office assistants who looked/acted like meth-heads or something, and he himself got really strange. It's too far away for me now, too expensive, and too weird! so I stopped going. But until all of that happened, he and his wife were really great. He was a strange guy personality-wise -- I didn't really like him -- but she was WONDERFUL. I hope she's okay.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends on the chiropractor. Some are good, some are hacks and don't actually know what they are doing. Read reviews before going to one.
I will do that, thanks! I will start looking around now. :heartshape:

office assistants who looked/acted like meth-heads or something, and he himself got really strange. It's too far away for me now, too expensive, and too weird! so I stopped going. But until all of that happened, he and his wife were really great. He was a strange guy per
:lol: Sounds awful. Especially when you found such a great place (skill wise). I will look around now to see what i find.

BTW i sent the secretary of our campus president (i figured she would know) an email about people with pre-existing conditions working from home. She said i had to first talk to my boss, who would then bring it up to the campus president. She said i could reach to HR too.

For now i just sent my boss an email, just waiting for him to respond. I like doing everything in writing, just in case.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will do that, thanks! I will start looking around now. :heartshape:

:lol: Sounds awful. Especially when you found such a great place (skill wise). I will look around now to see what i find.

BTW i sent the secretary of our campus president (i figured she would know) an email about people with pre-existing conditions working from home. She said i had to first talk to my boss, who would then bring it up to the campus president. She said i could reach to HR too.

For now i just sent my boss an email, just waiting for him to respond. I like doing everything in writing, just in case.
Good luck on your chiro search! A good plan is to go to one highly regarded by the American Chiropractic Association: StackPath .
Hoping you will have success in being cleared to work from home.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck on your chiro search! A good plan is to go to one highly regarded by the American Chiropractic Association: StackPath .
Hoping you will have success in being cleared to work from home.
Thank you for the link! :heartshape:

I still havent heard anything from my boss. I am sure he will have to bring it up in a meeting with the schools president. Hopefully he doesnt forget, as i know he is very busy.

- -

I went this Saturday to spend the day at my brothers house. My 9 year old niece is feeling lonely since she cant spend time with any of her friends. So i have been going to see her more than normal.

I have this coworker that i talk to on the phone sometimes. He tends to have a toxic mindset at times. But i dont want to alienate him because he is someone that will help you and be there for you at work. But he does have a negative side. I have talked to him about how i raised my niece. And he tells me a story about his teenage female cousin who was raised by her aunt (parents were mostly absent). And when the girl became a teenager she told the aunt she didnt have to listen to her and distanced herself from her. It was as if he was warning me that its a waste of time for me to be there for my niece.

I dont get people that make unnecessary comments like that. Its been weighing on my mind ever since. I know my brother would never allow disrespect like that. My niece once called me her babysitter a few years back, and both her parents admonished her and told her that i was her aunt and to call me by my name. My coworkers comment still made me feel bad. I have dedicated a lot of time to my niece and would hate for her to ever grow distant from me. I go see her every two weeks, no matter what. Even if im sick, or in pain, shes still a priority to me. With my mom gone, shes the most important person in my life.

I just hate when people put such ugly thoughts out there, you know?

my niece a few years ago with my cat Kitty:
20160312_135157.jpg

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the link! :heartshape:

I still havent heard anything from my boss. I am sure he will have to bring it up in a meeting with the schools president. Hopefully he doesnt forget, as i know he is very busy.

- -

I went this Saturday to spend the day at my brothers house. My 9 year old niece is feeling lonely since she cant spend time with any of her friends. So i have been going to see her more than normal.

I have this coworker that i talk to on the phone sometimes. He tends to have a toxic mindset at times. But i dont want to alienate him because he is someone that will help you and be there for you at work. But he does have a negative side. I have talked to him about how i raised my niece. And he tells me a story about his teenage female cousin who was raised by her aunt (parents were mostly absent). And when the girl became a teenager she told the aunt she didnt have to listen to her and distanced herself from her. It was as if he was warning me that its a waste of time for me to be there for my niece.
Since I don't know the guy I can't really say one way or another but it's possible he may not have been saying it's a waste of time, maybe instead saying it could happen because it happened in his own family. I know if something like that had happened in my family and someone I know was talking about how they were in a similar situation I'd bring it up just so they'd know it's something that could happen and can watch for signs.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I don't know the guy I can't really say one way or another but it's possible he may not have been saying it's a waste of time, maybe instead saying it could happen because it happened in his own family. I know if something like that had happened in my family and someone I know was talking about how they were in a similar situation I'd bring it up just so they'd know it's something that could happen and can watch for signs.
I get that. I just tend to worry easily, so i prefer not to think about things like that. lol

It also bothered me the way he talked about this young girl. Shes clearly lost from not having parental figures, and hes talking about how shes become promiscuous (he didnt say it that nicely). He almost seemed to look down on this girl. While all i could feel is compassion for her. Hes the type that will speak his mind without a filter.

The kids in my family are always protected. Its always been my fear that they will become lost.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get that. I just tend to worry easily, so i prefer not to think about things like that. lol

It also bothered me the way he talked about this young girl. Shes clearly lost from not having parental figures, and hes talking about how shes become promiscuous (he didnt say it that nicely). He almost seemed to look down on this girl. While all i could feel is compassion for her. Hes the type that will speak his mind without a filter.

The kids in my family are always protected. Its always been my fear that they will become lost.
One thing I've found is that a LOT of people are socially awkward and whatever they may feel, things come out of their mouths that aren't very sensitive. I'd try to give him the benefit of the doubt (if you want to) but otherwise, with things like this, time sometimes helps to dull the impact, after which you can just let it roll off your back. That's what I'd do, unless he goes on about it, in which case I'd probably just say something quietly and politely like, "Yeah, things like that happen in some families/instances, but we're each of us individuals and I try to take each person as I find them." Something really unconfrontational like that. Because in these times (or any others, really) the last thing most of us need is more stress.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing I've found is that a LOT of people are socially awkward and whatever they may feel, things come out of their mouths that aren't very sensitive. I'd try to give him the benefit of the doubt (if you want to) but otherwise, with things like this, time sometimes helps to dull the impact, after which you can just let it roll off your back. That's what I'd do, unless he goes on about it, in which case I'd probably just say something quietly and politely like, "Yeah, things like that happen in some families/instances, but we're each of us individuals and I try to take each person as I find them." Something really unconfrontational like that. Because in these times (or any others, really) the last thing most of us need is more stress.
Oh, i completely agree. I do everything i can to avoid fights and arguments. I treat him kindly and im grateful for the help he always gave me at work. Since hes an open book he tends to open up to me easily. I just try not to talk to him too much at work. He tends to know gossip about everyone, and i dont really like getting mixed up in things like that. lol Hes the first one to know anything in the office.

I do feel for him though. His department is grant funded, so he doesnt know if he will be keeping his job. Ive been offering him help to look around. He isnt sure what will happen with his job going forward, so i am worried about that. :sigh: I had no idea colleges had grant funded positions that arent permanent.