Venting....

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No need to apologize. Thank you for sticking with me, and coming back to check in.:heartshape:

I try so hard to not bring sweets into the house. :frustrated::bawling2: But i cant deny that i fail at doing that. Im starting to remind myself of my father. He is in his 80s and is always asking for his dessert after meals. :lol: I got his sweet tooth, but my moms weight issues/diabetes. :cloudy:But i am going to do my best and keep making changes.

I do feel better now that i am cooking more at home. I have been wanting to go to a fast food place all week, but i have been excited about cooking. I'll start looking around for recipes now to see what i can find. :heartshape:

I know, i agree with you. lol I tend to fall into negative mental spirals. Been that way all my life. So its hard to change at my age. But i am trying.

Thank you! I just downloaded the app. :heartshape:

Sounds pathetic, but i went for a walk today. :blush: I bought a back belt and still felt pain, but not too bad. I am waiting for tomorrow to see how i feel. But I felt so energized after the walk that i didnt end up napping during the day. That horrible fatigue that never goes away was gone for today.

:flail:You seem like a great coach to me. :rock: I think what i struggle with is that half of me wants to be healthy. I want a strong healthy body, and i want to give my body a fighting chance. I want my hormones to normalize so i can avoid getting worse from my illness. I want to avoid having diabetes, and serious complications.

Then theres the other half of me thats lost weight many times before and gained it back. That part of me stopped caring about being healthy. There are moments that i dont care if i get better. I know that sounds crazy. lol But you already know im not completely normal.

But i completely agree with what you are saying. I have to focus on the reasons why I need to do this. I have tried so many diets, but i think you are right. My determination wasnt strong enough. I hope with time and good habits that things will become easier.
It doesn't happen all at once. "Experts" say it takes 21 days for a habit to become, uh, habitual. IDK if I agree with that but it illustrates the fact that "stuff takes time" and we can't expect to try to change something all at once. It's a "one day at a time" challenge, and it's really important not to beat yourself up if you miss a day. None of us is perfect!
So the walk was good for you! They say that a body in motion tends to stay in motion and one at rest tends to stay at rest. When we work out, our brains are producing endorphins, which make us feel good. That's why runners and other athletes love what they do. Getting started is the tough part. Once we start, and we're in it, we feel the benefits. I have days when I'm pressed for time, tired, etc., and tell myself, "I don't want to work out. It's okay if I miss a day." But I ignore that, push that away, and go ahead with my workout, and I've never NOT been glad I did. Chronic pain is a part of my life, but working out actually helps loosen up my back, and that makes me feel better.
You can look at all the "celebs" advertising/promoting diet plans, and almost all of them yo-yo on their diets, because they're letting someone/something else control them. We have to control ourselves! It doesn't take paying for diet plans. It takes our will power and determination. We have to live with what we're given, physically, and it's up to us to make the best of it. For me, it's all about being healthy and strong for my beloved cats. They are the "why" of EVERYTHING for me.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It doesn't happen all at once. "Experts" say it takes 21 days for a habit to become, uh, habitual. IDK if I agree with that but it illustrates the fact that "stuff takes time" and we can't expect to try to change something all at once. It's a "one day at a time" challenge, and it's really important not to beat yourself up if you miss a day. None of us is perfect!
So the walk was good for you! They say that a body in motion tends to stay in motion and one at rest tends to stay at rest. When we work out, our brains are producing endorphins, which make us feel good. That's why runners and other athletes love what they do. Getting started is the tough part. Once we start, and we're in it, we feel the benefits. I have days when I'm pressed for time, tired, etc., and tell myself, "I don't want to work out. It's okay if I miss a day." But I ignore that, push that away, and go ahead with my workout, and I've never NOT been glad I did. Chronic pain is a part of my life, but working out actually helps loosen up my back, and that makes me feel better.
You can look at all the "celebs" advertising/promoting diet plans, and almost all of them yo-yo on their diets, because they're letting someone/something else control them. We have to control ourselves! It doesn't take paying for diet plans. It takes our will power and determination. We have to live with what we're given, physically, and it's up to us to make the best of it. For me, it's all about being healthy and strong for my beloved cats. They are the "why" of EVERYTHING for me.
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 chronic pain is a part of my life too.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 chronic pain is a part of my life too.
S sweet jane flash is right. Exercise is the most beneficial and it does not have side effects like drugs do! Getting started is the hard part, because when you're in pain, the last thing you think you want to do is move. But "experts" have always touted exercise for any painful malady, and they're right. Not only can we sort of freeze up and get locked in a painful position that exercise loosens up, but the endorphins! help so much. They're like natural "drugs" our bodies produce to make us feel good.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
S sweet jane flash is right. Exercise is the most beneficial and it does not have side effects like drugs do! Getting started is the hard part, because when you're in pain, the last thing you think you want to do is move. But "experts" have always touted exercise for any painful malady, and they're right. Not only can we sort of freeze up and get locked in a painful position that exercise loosens up, but the endorphins! help so much. They're like natural "drugs" our bodies produce to make us feel good.
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 there is also relatively new information about glial cells, and how they respond within the human body. Google glial cells, also their response when opioids are used. It is fascinating. :silver: ❤ 🌺

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're welcome! Some recipes are a bit weird (especially according to my husband), but I like that I can put in settings ingredients I don't like and they don't show up in the offered recipes.

I vary between sweet and salty cravings. When I'm doing well, I'm good at moderation and when I'm not, I'll just mindlessly eat. It does help to not have it in your house (says she who has been buying pretzels, popcorn, ice cream, and candy in her shopping trips lately - thanks stress cravings). I remember years back, back when I was ballooning up to my heaviest and I was trying not to keep sweets in my house and had such a bad craving I walked to Dunkin' Donuts and got a mocha frappuccino or something, and was proud because at least I got some exercise out of it!
lol it takes time. I remember when i started cooking for myself a lot of things tasted weird. I am not a bad cook. Its just not my favorite thing to do. Just have to get used to it.

:flail:You sound like me. I do really good with not buying the junk. But then stress comes up and i started buying again. All the stores are pretty far from us. I would love to be able to walk to places to buy things. It would increase exercise naturally. ;)

I had to buy myself a scale to weight myself. I've been depending on the scale at publix and since i go at odd times of the day, i have no idea what i weigh. Supposedly i gained 10 lbs since last month. But i have been fitting better into my car recently. So i dont know if i am gaining or losing. I havent been this heavy is years. I had forgotten how uncomfortable it is. I have always been big, but i got used to the weight i was at, you know?

I am doing better. I started walking, and have been cooking at home.

i remember reading about a habit taking 21 days. But what sucks is that i can create a new habit, and it'll last a few months... and then go back to old bad habits. lol So it wont stick long term. :crackup:Thats horrible, but i am going to put more effort not to fall into old habits. I was actually doing pretty well before i got on these meds. I wasnt thin, but my pre-diabetes had reversed and i was feeling pretty good.

I have been keeping up with the walking. The back belt has been a blessing. My back pain seems to be getting better. Just a walk used to cause me a lot of pain. The elliptical is the only pain free exercise i have ever been able to do long term.

I want to learn more about healthy eating. And not just do another random diet that i will fail at. I have done that before. I actually enjoy healthy foods so I am hopeful i can figure something out.

I know, without a doubt, that movements like walking, swimming and dancing help so much. :silver: 💃🕺🌺❤:catlove:
I started walking this week. I used a back belt and i have not had any issues with my back. I do feel more energized even though its only been a week. :heartshape: Just walking down the stairs at home was painful. But the pain is lessening the more days i go walking.

I know what you mean, the first few days just walking was painful. Even today i am still limping a bit. lol The back belt prevents the back pain. But my legs still hurt so i am limping along the neighborhood. Buts its getting easier every day.

I am noticing that my heart palpitations are slightly less intense. Not by much but its not as uncomfortable anymore.

---

Got an update from work:

MDC has started the process of opening the campuses up again. I dont go back just yet. But they have entered phase 1. I am grateful to have a job. But i am dreading going back. Ever since i got on these meds all i feel is drained and constantly hungry. At home i can catch quick naps here and there so i feel rested. When i was working i had no energy to exercise, i just got home and knocked out. I would have to nap during my lunch hour to get through the day. lol My boss would constantly ask me if i was ok because i looked drained.

I've really enjoyed working from home, but there arent many steady jobs you can do from home. I cant give up the good insurance i have with my current health issues. :bawling: Hopefully i start getting my energy back soon.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want to start eating healthier for you and don't want to just jump on whatever the latest fad diet is the best thing you can do is research your heritage. Genetics plays more of a part in what you should be eating than people had first thought, so you need to know where you came from at least a few generations back. Find out what sorts of foods and ingredients your recent ancestors ate and go from there.

Got an update from work:

MDC has started the process of opening the campuses up again. I dont go back just yet. But they have entered phase 1. I am grateful to have a job. But i am dreading going back. Ever since i got on these meds all i feel is drained and constantly hungry. At home i can catch quick naps here and there so i feel rested. When i was working i had no energy to exercise, i just got home and knocked out. I would have to nap during my lunch hour to get through the day. lol My boss would constantly ask me if i was ok because i looked drained.

I've really enjoyed working from home, but there arent many steady jobs you can do from home. I cant give up the good insurance i have with my current health issues. :bawling: Hopefully i start getting my energy back soon.
Maybe you'd be able to continue working from home? Try asking and see, you can explain about your medical condition and see if they'll let you stay home and keep working.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol it takes time. I remember when i started cooking for myself a lot of things tasted weird. I am not a bad cook. Its just not my favorite thing to do. Just have to get used to it.

:flail:You sound like me. I do really good with not buying the junk. But then stress comes up and i started buying again. All the stores are pretty far from us. I would love to be able to walk to places to buy things. It would increase exercise naturally. ;)

I had to buy myself a scale to weight myself. I've been depending on the scale at publix and since i go at odd times of the day, i have no idea what i weigh. Supposedly i gained 10 lbs since last month. But i have been fitting better into my car recently. So i dont know if i am gaining or losing. I havent been this heavy is years. I had forgotten how uncomfortable it is. I have always been big, but i got used to the weight i was at, you know?

I am doing better. I started walking, and have been cooking at home.

i remember reading about a habit taking 21 days. But what sucks is that i can create a new habit, and it'll last a few months... and then go back to old bad habits. lol So it wont stick long term. :crackup:Thats horrible, but i am going to put more effort not to fall into old habits. I was actually doing pretty well before i got on these meds. I wasnt thin, but my pre-diabetes had reversed and i was feeling pretty good.

I have been keeping up with the walking. The back belt has been a blessing. My back pain seems to be getting better. Just a walk used to cause me a lot of pain. The elliptical is the only pain free exercise i have ever been able to do long term.

I want to learn more about healthy eating. And not just do another random diet that i will fail at. I have done that before. I actually enjoy healthy foods so I am hopeful i can figure something out.

I started walking this week. I used a back belt and i have not had any issues with my back. I do feel more energized even though its only been a week. :heartshape: Just walking down the stairs at home was painful. But the pain is lessening the more days i go walking.

I know what you mean, the first few days just walking was painful. Even today i am still limping a bit. lol The back belt prevents the back pain. But my legs still hurt so i am limping along the neighborhood. Buts its getting easier every day.

I am noticing that my heart palpitations are slightly less intense. Not by much but its not as uncomfortable anymore.

---

Got an update from work:

I resort to my back brace when the pain is really bad. I have no idea why or how it works, but it does, and as we say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" ;)
Do you know if you're anemic at all? I am, or I have been and I would look really sick when it flared up -- black circles under my eyes. If you are, it's treatable inexpensively and even naturally with dietary additions/changes.
Sure hope that you don't have to go back until it's safe. Who knows when that will be, actually, but I just hope you don't have to be at higher risk.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
remember reading about a habit taking 21 days. But what sucks is that i can create a new habit, and it'll last a few months... and then go back to old bad habits. lol So it wont stick long term. :crackup:Thats horrible, but i am going to put more effort not to fall into old habits. I was actually doing pretty well before i got on these meds. I wasnt thin, but my pre-diabetes had reversed and i was feeling pretty good.

We are a lot alike, lol! For Lent, I make myself clean/tidy up for 15 minutes a day because I hate cleaning, and after 40 plus days, as soon as Easter rolls around, it's down the drain. So much for 21 day habits!

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want to start eating healthier for you and don't want to just jump on whatever the latest fad diet is the best thing you can do is research your heritage. Genetics plays more of a part in what you should be eating than people had first thought, so you need to know where you came from at least a few generations back. Find out what sorts of foods and ingredients your recent ancestors ate and go from there.

Maybe you'd be able to continue working from home? Try asking and see, you can explain about your medical condition and see if they'll let you stay home and keep working.
Thats an interesting idea, it never occurred to me. The thing is, my parents come from cuba (my childhood diet), and before that spain. My sister seems to believe we might actually be jewish. She says she asked our family in cuba and they didnt want to deny or confirm. So im not quite positive where my ancestors are from.

About working from home, I can try. But since im a secretary my boss likes to give me the jobs no one else wants. Putting up signs, or going to other buildings to pick up and drop off stuff.

Plus, remote working wasnt allowed in the past. I am not sure if the school will be more open to it going forward.

I resort to my back brace when the pain is really bad. I have no idea why or how it works, but it does, and as we say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" ;)
Do you know if you're anemic at all? I am, or I have been and I would look really sick when it flared up -- black circles under my eyes. If you are, it's treatable inexpensively and even naturally with dietary additions/changes.
Sure hope that you don't have to go back until it's safe. Who knows when that will be, actually, but I just hope you don't have to be at higher risk.
I am hoping it takes a while for the regular employees to go in. I am worried i will catch something and bring it home. I have kids in the family. I know kids havent been very affected. But i have heard of them put into ventilators as well and dont want that risk.

I was slightly anemic (when i had the insane heavy bleeding), but it went away once i started taking iron supplements and started adding more meat to my diet. I am also not bleeding in such an extreme way anymore. I think what is causing the fatigue is the pills i am on. Its very high progesterone. The side effects are similar to a pregnancy. They doubled my dose about a month ago and have been feeling worse since then.

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 7.52.32 PM.png

We are a lot alike, lol! For Lent, I make myself clean/tidy up for 15 minutes a day because I hate cleaning, and after 40 plus days, as soon as Easter rolls around, it's down the drain. So much for 21 day habits!
OMG thats me, i do little cleaning chores because i hate cleaning. LOL Then i start skipping some days. but it eventually gets done. I am a bit messy, but not dirty. ;) I always look for ways to make things faster. But i think the important thing is to never stop trying to do better.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats an interesting idea, it never occurred to me. The thing is, my parents come from cuba (my childhood diet), and before that spain. My sister seems to believe we might actually be jewish. She says she asked our family in cuba and they didnt want to deny or confirm. So im not quite positive where my ancestors are from.

About working from home, I can try. But since im a secretary my boss likes to give me the jobs no one else wants. Putting up signs, or going to other buildings to pick up and drop off stuff.

Plus, remote working wasnt allowed in the past. I am not sure if the school will be more open to it going forward.
Well there you go, you've got a good idea already. I'm not 100% sure but I think it was 2-3 generations for that sort of thing so you may want to do some research on the subject yourself if you decide to try it.

I've been hearing a lot of places are going to be more open to working from home if it's a job that's able to be done remotely (call centers, tech support, things like that) but obviously I can't say one way or another in your case. It can't hurt to ask though, even if it's only a couple days a week they let you work from home it's something.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 the back brace works because it allows the muscles to relax, the brace does the work the muscles were trying to do, but the pain stop body from from further hurting muscles. :silver: ❤ 🌺:catlove:

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well there you go, you've got a good idea already. I'm not 100% sure but I think it was 2-3 generations for that sort of thing so you may want to do some research on the subject yourself if you decide to try it.

I've been hearing a lot of places are going to be more open to working from home if it's a job that's able to be done remotely (call centers, tech support, things like that) but obviously I can't say one way or another in your case. It can't hurt to ask though, even if it's only a couple days a week they let you work from home it's something.
I will definitely ask. Hopefully they really are open to the idea. I've been able to do my job just fine from home. We have student assistants that can pick up any paper copies or deliver things to other buildings. 🤞

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 the back brace works because it allows the muscles to relax, the brace does the work the muscles were trying to do, but the pain stop body from from further hurting muscles. :silver: ❤ 🌺:catlove:
My back brace failed me today. Had so much pain i had to stop mid walk. I might be change my shoes. One of my sneakers is a bit tight, not sure if thats making things worse.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I will definitely ask. Hopefully they really are open to the idea. I've been able to do my job just fine from home. We have student assistants that can pick up any paper copies or deliver things to other buildings. 🤞

My back brace failed me today. Had so much pain i had to stop mid walk. I might be change my shoes. One of my sneakers is a bit tight, not sure if thats making things worse.
terestrife terestrife yeah, flats with rubber bottoms are the best for me. I hope you can get sneakers that are not so tight, could be that does make things more difficult. I hope you feel better. Your back is telling you to rest a bit, I think. 🌺 :happycat:

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
terestrife terestrife yeah, flats with rubber bottoms are the best for me. I hope you can get sneakers that are not so tight, could be that does make things more difficult. I hope you feel better. Your back is telling you to rest a bit, I think. 🌺 :happycat:
i think so too. ive been pushing myself this week.

i'll look around for shoes this weekend. :heartshape:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Talien Talien , that's excellent advice! And terestrife terestrife *I love Cuban cuisine!* As I understand it, Cuban cuisine, like most Caribbean cuisines, is based on what's grown locally, which includes a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables. Of course there's meat, too, and grains. And if you do have Jewish ancestry, that's great, too, for diet, as the Mediterranean diet is generally thought to be one of the best for health and also relies heavily on fresh produce. It's portions and how you cook things that makes the difference.
If you get a chance to try Klogs, check them out. They're kind of expensive but they're really well made, last a long time, and for me, at least, they are the best for my feet. They're not flat, but they have enough of an arch and about 2-3" heel overall, that my feet seem to really like them. AND they come in wide widths, which I need and it sounds like you might be comfortable with, too. One pair of these is worth a whole bunch of other shoes, for me at least. I have quite a few other shoes that I've bought, thinking they'd work for me. They're in their boxes in my closet. The Klogs get worn every day, and I bought a total of 4 pair, different colors and styles -- I wear the oldest pair a LOT and keep the others for "good" :) They all have non-skid rubber soles.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a wee bit suspicious about the "eat what your ancestors ate" diet, because I'm pretty sure a diet solely made up of potatoes, cabbage, and beer isn't healthy even if you are of Irish heritage ;).

Everyone can benefit from eating more fresh fruits and veggies though.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Talien Talien , that's excellent advice! And terestrife terestrife *I love Cuban cuisine!* As I understand it, Cuban cuisine, like most Caribbean cuisines, is based on what's grown locally, which includes a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables. Of course there's meat, too, and grains. And if you do have Jewish ancestry, that's great, too, for diet, as the Mediterranean diet is generally thought to be one of the best for health and also relies heavily on fresh produce. It's portions and how you cook things that makes the difference.
If you get a chance to try Klogs, check them out. They're kind of expensive but they're really well made, last a long time, and for me, at least, they are the best for my feet. They're not flat, but they have enough of an arch and about 2-3" heel overall, that my feet seem to really like them. AND they come in wide widths, which I need and it sounds like you might be comfortable with, too. One pair of these is worth a whole bunch of other shoes, for me at least. I have quite a few other shoes that I've bought, thinking they'd work for me. They're in their boxes in my closet. The Klogs get worn every day, and I bought a total of 4 pair, different colors and styles -- I wear the oldest pair a LOT and keep the others for "good" :) They all have non-skid rubber soles.
Cuban food also consists of a lot of rice and beans. Lol my weight goes up whenever I start eating typical Cuban dishes. :sigh:

I have heard good things about the Mediterranean diet. I just want to figure out something I can do long term. I know diets work short term, but they never work for me long term.

I'll look into the klogs. But I wanted to get fitness shoes because I want to get back into fitness videos once I start feeling better. I used to love them. Im hoping I can start doing them again.

I want to buy one pair of shoes that'll work no matter what I do. :banana2:

Buying shoes is stressful for me. Only crocs have been comfortable for me. The issue is that im a size 11, but my right foot Is slightly bigger than my left. So my left foot Is always comfortable in size 11, but my right foot is pinched and in pain. Size 12 is too big for my left foot. LOL

I'm a wee bit suspicious about the "eat what your ancestors ate" diet, because I'm pretty sure a diet solely made up of potatoes, cabbage, and beer isn't healthy even if you are of Irish heritage ;).

Everyone can benefit from eating more fresh fruits and veggies though.
Been eating more fruits and veggies lately. I actually like healthy food. But like junk food too. Lol

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cuban food also consists of a lot of rice and beans. Lol my weight goes up whenever I start eating typical Cuban dishes. :sigh:

I have heard good things about the Mediterranean diet. I just want to figure out something I can do long term. I know diets work short term, but they never work for me long term.

I'll look into the klogs. But I wanted to get fitness shoes because I want to get back into fitness videos once I start feeling better. I used to love them. Im hoping I can start doing them again.

I want to buy one pair of shoes that'll work no matter what I do. :banana2:

Buying shoes is stressful for me. Only crocs have been comfortable for me. The issue is that im a size 11, but my right foot Is slightly bigger than my left. So my left foot Is always comfortable in size 11, but my right foot is pinched and in pain. Size 12 is too big for my left foot. LOL

Been eating more fruits and veggies lately. I actually like healthy food. But like junk food too. Lol
Crocs are great. You can't go wrong with them. A pair of black or brown ones should work for just about anything. I wear my Klogs for everything. They run wide and large, so as my feet get more swollen throughout the day, they still accomodate them. It sounds like if you can try on some Klogs you might want to try half size up. That might be good for both feet. My left is fatter than my right, and the Klogs are good for both because they have these little expanding inserts.
Platanos! and greens! And the Mediterranean diet has hummus -- my favorite, that I eat every day for lunch with a pita bread, plus Moroccan olives (I affectionately call them "my little greaseballs"), some fresh fruit in season, iced coffee and two small or one medium cookie. Salads and whole grains and fruits and vegetables are basically the Mediterranean diet, plus meat for those who eat it, like kebabs -- beef or lamb or chicken.