venting i suppose, dog chased us - left scared and bloody

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
to start this off, this dog has chased me before and bit me to the point of drawing blood. I'm an animal lover and all I told the owner is to please keep it inside or chained/fenced - just contain it. However it's gotten out twice since then but I saw them get a chain and it's been contained for weeks. Me and specter resumed walking in these weeks and it's gone fine.

Till now. We we walking and I looked over to see it running towards us from a few miles apart from us. I scooped up specter and ran towards the house but couldn't beat it. It ran up barking and circling me while I have specter close to my chest, scruffed. I managed to get over to the stairs and knock it a bit with my foot as it was going in to bite my leg. Again. I fumbled over then and tripped but didn't land on specter; just kind of on my knees I guess. We got in safe but Specter is scared and I can't quit shaking. In the midst of all this chaos specter scratched me up but just because she was scared. I cleaned off the cuts but they were indeed pretty bad earlier. but I'm a heavy bleeder so who knows
IMG_20200329_104541692.jpg IMG_20200329_104557948.jpg
IMG_20200329_104615252~2.jpg

When I ran in, I took specters harness off and she was spooked of course so I put her in her room. surprisingly she just cleaned herself off, ate, and went back to bed. Doesn't seem worse for wear but I'm going to take the day off to calm her and coddle today..Not sure why I'm posting this other than to vent my frustrations because no one else would understand. Why can't people keep their animals up? I'm beyond angry and if I didn't have my baby in my hands, man oh man. And what if I wasn't so agile?? That dog could've seriously hurt specter or our dog for that matter. I've never seen a dog so hostile EVER. this is literally the only dog I've ever met thats ever chased and attacked completely unprovoked. Gah. :eviltongue:

.. If anything good came of this, I now know specter is even stronger than I had thought. Feels like that area on my upper arm is gonna bruise for sure. :woohoo:

Sorry if my spelling is off again I'm shaken up right now and also furious

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
oh my gosh!!
Can you talk to the neighbor again and show them these pictures. Or call the cops?

Do you have hydrogen peroxide? Use that or even just soap to keep those from getting infected if they get any redder, swollen or more painful.

Try some cat music for Specter-baby, I'm glad she ate. That's a good sign.

Geez I'm so sorry this happened!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would report it to the police. Aggressive dogs on the loose are dangerous to people and pets. Someone could fall down and be seriously injured or bitten. You reporting may save another neighbor or their pet.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a scary experience for you and Specter. I'm glad you managed to get home. As Furballsmom Furballsmom said, you need to make sure the bits/sctatches are cleaned to avoid infection. Can you have a word with the dogs owner, show him your marks and tell him if you see the dog off lead again you will report him. Make sure he knows it is not the first time this has happened. Controlling his dog is his responsibility. It sounds as if Specter is ok after the incident, just keep an eye on him and look after yourself.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad that you and Specter are still in one piece. Just make sure to thoroughly clean your wounds.
Now, lecture time. Call the police or animal control if you have one, and do it now. It has been amply demonstrated that A- the dog is very aggressive, and B- the owners are very irresponsible. Eventually, if action isn't taken ASAP, someone could be seriously mauled, or worse. Some people just have no business having a pet of any kind, ever.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom Thanks, I cleaned them off but they're just specters..never get infections from her, but you're right. I've had her animal crossing rainy mix on all days and she's eaten all her meals and is even back to actively standing up and looking out of the window where the dog was normally. Very brave girl. Which reminds me, she wants to hunt horses.. if that's any indication of her attitude!

I told my grandpa and he warned them, saying if it happens again he's gonna have to report it. I hope that doesnt happen and that they just get a better chain. The dog is cute

Right now specter is suckling her blankie at the foot of my bed. :goldstar: she's a champ! Unfortunately (unrelated) but she's got runny stools today because I gave her tuna tiki cat to re-start her appetite last night but otherwise normal and has resumed eating!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
If you have a dog warden in your area, call them. If not, call the police. You need to protect yourself and other people who walk by (a parent with a young child, for example). Not to mention, the dog could get hit by a car, if it's out in the road. So, for your own safety as well as the dog's, call either the dog warden or call the police. It's serious enough that they should look into it. I know your grandfather said something to the owners, but this is serious.

(Don't try to kick the dog. My BIL was out walking their little dog and a big cat came out of nowhere to attack the dog. He kicked out at the cat, somebody saw him, and reported to the police. He had to pay a fine for cruelty to animals. Never mind the fact that the dog was on a leash, they were walking on the road, and the cat attacked their dog. He still got charged.)

Good luck with those scratches.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SpecterOhPossum SpecterOhPossum glad to hear you're okay.

I'd tell your grandfather to forcefully advise the dog's owner that if that happens again, complaints against the dog and owner will be lodged legally. In most places "animal control" can help a lot. If things get too bad, or the dog's owner is a scofflaw, you can also file a nuisance complaint. If others have been similarly bitten they can join you. That gets judges' attention.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would report it. That might be best for everyone; including the dog! What if others aren't reporting it too?

If it goes after a kid or elderly person it could be really bad. My grandma was in her late 70s when she was bit on the hand by a rottweiler at the friend of a cousin's house. Thankfully she didn't have any complications; but she did need medical treatment and I remember thinking how thin the skin on her hands looked. It could have been much worse. DH had one bad bite at work a few years ago and it was actually still bleeding some the next day when he had to see a doctor because it was a work incident. They said that was good because it would help it to flush any infection. And that bite didn't even rip his pants. He had a welt the size of an orange for over a year. I love dogs; but I won't take aggressive behaviour lightly.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dogs cause torts, sometimes terrible ones.

That's why so many lawyers do dog bite cases.
That's also why insurance companies charge higher premiums if homeowners have certain breeds of dogs, or won't insure them at all-think pit bulls.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm more level headed now so I'll correct myself.
not agressive , territorial ... apologies for making the dog out to be a monster, I was reacting emotionally

Not to come off overly tree huggy or sensitive but I don't want to run the risk of the dog going to a shelter/being removed from it's home (owners love her, take good care of her; they said she's just a bit of a houdini escape artist.) "agressive" or not she's still a innocent animal and therefore I'm not gonna out them. If my grandfather wishes to, I don't have a say. He said if it happens again, he will. I hope this isn't the case.

He gave them tips on how to contain her and says they honestly didn't know how to improve their chain/leash situation and that they're going to fix it..as i said she's been contained for weeks since they got the leash thing, accidents happen. my cat wasn't hurt and therefore I don't mind. It can bite me, not my cat. she's got her shots so it's not like I'm gonna get rabies or anything nuts

We live out on farmlands so the only person it has to go after is me pretty much. Or my grandpa, but he's more scary to a dog than me; treehugger. It doesn't go after animals though. Maybe I just look like a a chewtoy?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My older brother had that problem with his very large German shepherd, so he had that Invisible Fence installed. It didn't take long to train it to stay on his property, and he no longer has to use the collar, either.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not recommending this as a no fail option if confronted with an "aggressive" or charging dog. But I was charged at by a dog that got loose, while walking with my friend and her dog. He just came out of nowhere running at us at full tilt. We both instinctively pushed her dog behind us and started making very loud barking and growling noised at the dog with our arms up like we were "clawing" the air. The dog stopped in his tracks. The dog then put it's head down a bit so we kept barking as we walked away facing him, and he followed us for a few steps, then trotted off. When the dog was gone, both my friend and I just looked at each other and laughed.
All I know is that if you run...they will chase. Thankfully my (our) instincts in this case worked.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's nice that the owners are being so accommodating. You can always get a can of citronella spray or a can of air to carry in case the dog comes at you again.

I have a dog that is very fear reactive toward people and strange dogs and off-leash dogs are the bane of our existence. I have a neighbor that just lets her down out the front door to roam the neighborhood. He's a friendly dog but honestly it doesn't really matter to us if the other dog is friendly - my dog is very afraid and if he's leashed and feels cornered he may unwillingly start a fight and get hurt. When I used to walk my nonreactive girl around we'd have lots of big dogs run up to us, owners 100 ft away yelling "s/he's friendly!" as their dog is standing over mine making both of us nervous. She's all of 18 lbs - it wouldn't take much for her to get seriously hurt.

So yeah, I'm a dog lover but I'm also a big believer that people need to be responsible. I'm glad you weren't hurt worse!