Vegetarian & Vegan Food and Lifestyle

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know vegetarians that kill bugs and I know some meat eaters that will not kill them. I don't get it. Their life is just as important to them as our life is to us.
I don't get meat eaters who don't want to kill a bug, but are fine eating a burger, chicken wings, etc. :dunno:

And I totally understand that an insect's life is as important to them, as ours is to us, but some bugs just don't belong inside a human's home. Spiders, for one. :running: But what about bed bugs? Surely no one would be fine with sharing their home with them! :eek:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't get it. Their life is just as important to them as our life is to us.
I totally agree with you in theory. But I will have to learn how to dispose of them quickly without killing them. I should ask my sister in law how she does it. Probably the cup and piece of paper trick. But I didn't have that handy in the shower.

But what about bed bugs? Surely no one would be fine with sharing their home with them! :eek:
Bed bugs?! Yuck! I don't know. It's a dilemma for sure.😔

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, bed bugs do not belong in someone's home. Also fleas and ticks because they harm our pets.

I used to work with a woman that was invited to her girlfriends house to meet her parents. When she saw a bug crawling accross the floor she jumped up and killed it. She thought she was doing them a favor but her girlfriend told her "Tina, we don't kill bugs, we put them outside". Tina said she was so embarrassed.

I don't understand why some people eat meat but will not kill bug.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't understand why some people eat meat but will not kill bug.
I (usually) don't kill bugs but I do eat meat. I'm sure it's all very hypocritical but I see no reason to kill bugs if I can help it (yes, I will kill fleas, ticks, bedbugs, mosquitoes, gnats, etc. but not spiders, beetles, ants, moths, etc.), but I've come to terms with being an omnivore. It's the same level of hypocrisy that makes people ok with eating cows and pigs but not cats and dogs. Humans are weird.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww man. I just accidentally ate gelatin. 😭
I got this chip dip at Walmart and the website said it uses cellulose gel instead of gelatin in the ingredients. I thought that was so cool, so I bought it and didn't even check before eating it. Bummer. It tasted really good though. I gave it to Dad.
Walmart Grocery - Great Value Cheddar Jalapeno Dip, 16 oz

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see it on the ingredient list. Was the one they delivered to you different than that?
Yes, it says Cellulose Gel on the website, but the container I got says Gelatin instead. So weird. I'm sad because I finally found a dip I like, it tasted so good. Maybe I can make it myself.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Since restaurants have opened at 50% capacity here we went out for an early dinner to a favorite Korean Vegan restaurant. Vegan dumplings for an appetizer and I had a dish called Maho Pyogo for my entree which is: Steamed, stirred, shitake, oyster, and button mushrooms mixed with many green veggies and served with mellow garlic sauce over brown rice. So delicious!

IMG_0884.jpeg IMG_0885.jpeg

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it says Cellulose Gel on the website, but the container I got says Gelatin instead. So weird. I'm sad because I finally found a dip I like, it tasted so good. Maybe I can make it myself.
Maybe that was an older one and the new recipe has the cellulose gel instead. Although I'm not sure how you could trust that without looking before you buy it. That's one problem with getting grocery pickup.
Since restaurants have opened at 50% capacity here we went out for an early dinner to a favorite Korean Vegan restaurant. Vegan dumplings for an appetizer and I had a dish called Maho Pyogo for my entree which is: Steamed, stirred, shitake, oyster, and button mushrooms mixed with many green veggies and served with mellow garlic sauce over brown rice. So delicious!

View attachment 373356View attachment 373357
Wow, that looks great! I haven't ordered from the local Korean restaurant for a long time because they severely cut their hours because of COVID and I'm never in that town when they're open. But now I really want something that looks like that!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm staying away from store bought dips. Gelatin in two of them and Lard in another.
Oh well, I kind of prefer chips or crackers on my dinner meals anyway. Use the warm meal as the dip, like pasta & sauce or mexican food.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm staying away from store bought dips. Gelatin in two of them and Lard in another.
Oh well, I kind of prefer chips or crackers on my dinner meals anyway. Use the warm meal as the dip, like pasta & sauce or mexican food.
What brands were they?

I got to go to Walmart yesterday for the first time in almost two years. I brought a large container of pimento spread so I would have something to eat with my DKB.
After reading your post I looked at the ingredients and it had almost 30 ingredients including enzymes and egg yokes. It went right in the trash. I wanted to eat it so bad.

I like eating chips and crackers with pasta sauce and tomato soup.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This Great Value Cheddar Jalapeno Dip from Walmart, and these 2 dips from Aldi- Park Street Spinach Artichoke and Layered Dips.
I just gave up, so ridiculous for them to put meat products in a veggie dip!
1619796215473.png
1619796275142.png
1619796309483.png