Vegetarian & Vegan Food and Lifestyle

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It's almost impossible to be completely vegetarian or vegan as almost all vegetables contain bugs. When I found out about rennet I quit eating cheese for 30 years. That's right, 30 years without pizza. I will never put myself through that again. I will have my cheese from now on despite rennet or carmine. Yes, I am nuts!
You realize it's the people who think they are normal that are actually the ones who are nuts, lol? 😉

I had a wonderful female doctor who retired. But I still remember some of the reassuring things she told me such as, "everything in moderation." For that reason, even though I follow a vegetarian diet I don't dwell on whether something is 'strictly' vegetarian.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You realize it's the people who think they are normal that are actually the ones who are nuts, lol? 😉
[Q!UOTE]
Yes, I've heard that. A staff member in the last cat forum I was in said I had some bizarre ideas and she did not mean that in a good way. I left the forum after that. A women in my office said that I was the office character. For some reason she reminds me of you.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are not weird or crazy. You are a kind person that is always on the positive
side. You are well liked here.
Awww thanks love! I feel like people on TCS get me better than my family. I mostly get ignored on Facebook. But Facebook is mostly for pictures and I never post any, I hate having my picture taken.

Does anybody know how to make a single serving of Fried Bread Dough? I want to make it in the frying pan, but don't want to use a huge amount of oil. I asked Dad to make me one, but he said "Make your own!" :rolleyes:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dad just showed me how to make fried bread dough. It was really good, but doesn't really taste that different from cinnamon toast or cinnamon bagel. It's fun to make once in a while though! :)

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww thanks love! I feel like people on TCS get me better than my family. I mostly get ignored on Facebook. But Facebook is mostly for pictures and I never post any, I hate having my picture taken.
We are a lot alike. We are both vegetarian, have phone anxiety, are germaphobe and don't like having our pictures taken.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I baked a vegan chocolate olive oil cake this afternoon. Unfortunately it would be better with the special glaze that the recipe calls for but because of my dental implant surgery I can't eat it with the glaze - maybe next time.

. IMG_0789.jpeg

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cousin posted her friend's obituary today on Facebook. I guess he was an avid hunter. There was a dead deer strung up in his obituary photo with him, it's eyes were all wide and sad, like it died knowing it was being killed. The obituary went on to say what a wonderful kind man he was. But all I could think about was the poor deer! I can't get it out of my mind.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cousin posted her friend's obituary today on Facebook. I guess he was an avid hunter. There was a dead deer strung up in his obituary photo with him, it's eyes were all wide and sad, like it died knowing it was being killed. The obituary went on to say what a wonderful kind man he was. But all I could think about was the poor deer! I can't get it out of my mind.
I know how you feel. My nephew hunts and I hate it that he does. I read somewhere that actot Kirk Russell loves to hunt. He justified it by saying he donates the meat to food banks. He just enjoys killing innocent animals. If he really wants to help feed the hungey he could donate money or give groceries to the food banks.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can kind of understand hunting for food, but taking pics of the poor animal that you killed is sadistic to me, and suggests it's more about the trophy and less about the need to feed your family.

I've actually started to cry when I've seen a dead deer on the side of the road, so I can't imagine seeing a live, vibrant animal in it's own habitat, and then targeting it, and killing it. Heart-breaking. :bawling:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can kind of understand hunting for food, but taking pics of the poor animal that you killed is sadistic to me, and suggests it's more about the trophy and less about the need to feed your family.
I've actually started to cry when I've seen a dead deer on the side of the road, so I can't imagine seeing a live, vibrant animal in it's own habitat, and then targeting it, and killing it. Heart-breaking. :bawling:
Well said!! That's what I wanted to say but you said it so much better.

I think hunting is more humane than factory farming. But yeah, the trophy aspect of it is disturbing.
I think hunting is more humane than factory farming. But someone killing an innocent animal is disturbing to me.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought this microwave soup cup. It says certified Vegan. But then it says Made on the same equipment as fish! What the heck?! What does this mean? Do they clean the equipment? I also saw a powdered cappuccino that said the same thing.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They have to say that because someone who's severely allergic could have a reaction. They do clean the equipment in between different foods, but even a tiny trace of it left behind, or even floating around in the air (that's why they say "processed in the same plant as. . ." on some packaging) could cause a reaction. It's still vegan though :).

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some products also have this with nuts and dairy, as people, as Willowy said, can have severe reactions to them. I remember there was a kid in my class at primary school who could smell nuts and he'd react badly alone (he didn't even have to be that near them).

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I remember there was a kid in my class at primary school who could smell nuts and he'd react badly alone (he didn't even have to be that near them).
I remember when I taught in the Pre-K program we had a student who was so severely allergic to nuts that if anyone had even eaten something with peanut butter for breakfast at home or a granola bar w/nuts they would have to wash their hands as soon as they arrived at school. It was very scary.