Vegetarian Cat.

Knight's Cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello Everybody,
My 9 month old male cat has suddenly decided to go vegan.
He loves to eat chicken and his Whiskas kitten dry food. Usually until he gets his chicken once a day he is not satisfied. But today he refuses to eat both, chicken and dry food.
I have a balcony garden and he had been insisting on going there since the morning. When I did take him there he started eating the plants. So I fetched him some green grass. And now he is just eating those only. He is also a lot talkative today.
He also vomited just now. It consisted of grass and pink liquid.
Last night he had a really mushy stool, therefore I gave him 5 drops of digyton.
I really don't know what is going on with him and I am really scared.☹
Please help.

mx4878

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello
My cat did the same once, my vet told me that my cat simply ate grass because he was feeling sick, he too vomited afterwards. I cut up tiny amount of grass and placed it on his food which worked, i then replaced the grass bits with treats and he was back to his normal self in about 3 days. perhaps you could try that

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How long has your cat stopped eating cat food? If it's just a day, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Keep a bowl of the dry food out and just keep an eye on the cat's appetite and behavior. If the cat continues to refuse to eat cat food and only wants to eat grass, I would get to the cat to the vet within the next week or two and have the vet run full blood work. Cats cannot be vegetarian or vegan. They are obligate carnivores and MUST have meat in their diet or they risk severe nutritional deficiencies and health issues.

Vomiting after eating grass is common. Some cats eat too much grass too fast and just vomit it all up. Other cats have sensitive tummies and the grass just makes them vomit. A diet of only grass can also cause vomiting and other digestive issues in cats.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats can't survive eating only plants unlike people. They must have a meat diet to survive.
Eating grass is common as is throwing it back up. But only eating it instead of meals is abnormal and may indicate the cat is unwell.
If this continues even one more day I'd see a vet. Cats also can become quite ill if they don't eat which will only make things worse.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep trying with the chicken, get him some deli chicken or boil some up until it is tender. Chicken is bland and may help. Get some lickable treats and try those, my cats love Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors. Try low sodium tuna juice, and maybe some warmed canned food, it smells better when warmed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Knight's Cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your answers.
Today is the first day he did this.
I have removed all the toxic plants already.
And I gonna try with the treats and chicken.
If he does not eat it till tonight, then he has an appointment with his vet.

Knight's Cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update:
He still prefers grass over dry food and chicken.
Still he ate Raw chicken instead of the cooked one.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Raw chicken is ok to feed. It's not a complete diet on it's own (neither is cooked chicken) but it's better than grass.

Another thing you can try is meat only baby food. Gerber is one brand but it might not be sold in all countries.

Have you tried cutting grass into small pieces and mixing it with cat food?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
To expound on the above -
If you can get either Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut (or Goya) baby food meats, you can actually make them nutritionally complete for a cat - see attached article on how to do so.

The web site that the above article came from might help you in determining how to add the necessary nutrients needed to make chicken into a complete as well. The web site is labeled as if it is specifically for IBD cats, but it is still applicable to non-IBD cats too! Raw Feeding Recipes & Resources - Raw Feeding for IBD Cats

Attachments

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Feed him cat food inside then take him outside. Otherwise throw up grass then not want to eat

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he's not wanting to eat anything other than grass, that's a big red flag and he needs to be seen by the vet ASAP. I don't let my kitties go with decreased appetite or not eating for more than 24 hours.

Knight's Cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you every one for the replies.
Update:
I took him to the vet yesterday evening. The vet gave him antacid, antivomit and metrogyl.
She started a routine of 2.5ml Canworm (dewormer) for 3 days and gutwell for 1 month.
I have deposited a stool sample today as asked. Hope the results don't come bad.
Just to tell you, when he ate the grass he did a pink vomit as I told earlier. But today it was normal yellow one.
His stool is still mushy and it stinks very bad.
He is still eating a lot less than usual, I feel extremely bad that he is not eating chicken which he loves.
I feel that he wants to eat, since he always comes when I call for food, but after smelling it he just leave.
He is as active as he was when healthy.
He also drinks the normal amount of water he drinks (which is not normal according to me considering him going to poop a lot with the poop being liquidy.)
I thank you all again for the support you have given.
I hope you can help me with this too.

mx4878

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope he gets better
Maybe you could try adding any treats onto the food to motivate him to eat, you could try feeding him in different places, different plates, different food. I often find that when a cat is unwell they do not have much energy for eating, you could try a mousse textured food, pate with added water for a smoother consistency, you could also puree the chicken you usually feed him, any food he can just lick.
If he isnt eating anything you could also try just churu or any other lickable treat. You could check in with the vet and ask if a multi vitamin or immune booster can be added. I usually do churu + multivitamin as a temporary meal for any rescue refusing to eat.

Knight's Cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the suggestion.
I am going to buy the treat today afternoon, till then I will try the puree chicken.
He has lost 200g in the past 3 days and I am scared now.
I hope that he regains his apatite.