Vegemite

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
People seem to desperately want to debate this foodstuff in other threads,
so I'm providing The Definitive Vegemite Thread.

Knock yourselves out. :biggrin:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
I was brought up on it but am ambivalent, mainly because I prefer a similar, organic spread based on sesame seeds called EveryMite.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like it a lot, but don’t eat it that often these days, mainly because I don’t generally bother making toast, and it’s way better on toast than on bread imo. Just the thinnest scattering with plenty of butter showing in the gaps. A friend who’s the only American I knew who liked it said that what his countrymen don’t understand is that it’s a seasoning, not a spread, which is the best summation I can think of. Slather it on and yes, it’s awful!

It also lasts forever. I had a jar for ten years once. Went black instead of dark brown but that was the only noticeable change. That stuff’s immune to decay. :lol:

Also most of my cats have loved it.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea what either of them are, although I've heard of Vegemite. I've never seen it in a grocery store in the States. Aren't the Brits in love with Bovril? I don't know that either. Is it similar to Better than Bouillon?

We're keeping peanut butter to ourselves.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea what either of them are, although I've heard of Vegemite. I've never seen it in a grocery store in the States. Aren't the Brits in love with Bovril? I don't know that either. Is it similar to Better than Bouillon?

Vegemite is a yeast extract, Bovril a meat extract and Marmite seems to be a combination (anyone who knows more please correct me if that’s wrong). There’s a page on them here: Vegemite vs. Marmite vs. Bovril: What's The Difference?

My teeth almost fell out when I looked at that photo. That’s NOT how to eat Vegemite as far as I’m concerned! As for it being like chocolate and Worcestershire sauce ... whaaaaat? :eek3:

As for peanut butter, you’re too late, we’ve had it since forever! :lol:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you like peanut butter. People in the UK don't seem to like it.

Looks to me like all three are similar, but one is preferred in different countries over the other. In any case, none of them are common in the US.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you like peanut butter. People in the UK don't seem to like it.

Looks to me like all three are similar, but one is preferred in different countries over the other. In any case, none of them are common in the US.
Yes, I know there’s some difference in the flavours, but I’ve never tried Marmite or Bovril.
There’s even a brand called American Peanut Butter here, lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, as catloverfromwayback catloverfromwayback said, peanut butter has long been in Australia. It was here at the same time it became 'a thing' in the US:

Cereal manufacturers, Kellogg’s, patented a peanut butter process in 1895 and it was being advertised under the Sanitas brand, also in 1898. From the 1930s, Sanitarium marketed their peanut butter under the brand name ‘Betta’.
It was no accident that the Australian Sanitarium company began manufacturing peanut butter in the 1890s. The company was (and still is) owned by the Seventh Day Adventist church and is named after the famous Battle Creek Sanitarium run by the Kellogg brothers, also Seventh Day Adventists. Sanitarium’s founder, Edward Halsey, had been a baker at Battle Creek and no doubt brought the recipe with him.

Marmite has more sugar than vegemite, and Bovril (from 'bovine')is also used to flavour stews etc, or to make a hot drink.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This American girl likes it. Just to reiterate, it is a seasoning, not a spread like peanut butter. Now there are probably some people out there who do eat it like that but most don't. A small amount is added to buttered toast. It adds a unique umami flavor. It also adds great flavor to gravies, soups and sauces. Start out with a small amount and add more to your taste. I add some to a bagel with cream cheese, thinly sliced red onion and tomato. It's good. I've seen way too many people on Youtube stuff a spoonful of it into their mouth and then say that it's gross. That annoys me so much because that's not how it's meant to be eaten and people who have never tried it will assume it's gross and never give it a chance. I encourage people to give it a shot and decide for yourself.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This American girl likes it. Just to reiterate, it is a seasoning, not a spread like peanut butter. Now there are probably some people out there who do eat it like that but most don't. A small amount is added to buttered toast. It adds a unique umami flavor. It also adds great flavor to gravies, soups and sauces. Start out with a small amount and add more to your taste. I add some to a bagel with cream cheese, thinly sliced red onion and tomato. It's good. I've seen way too many people on Youtube stuff a spoonful of it into their mouth and then say that it's gross. That annoys me so much because that's not how it's meant to be eaten and people who have never tried it will assume it's gross and never give it a chance. I encourage people to give it a shot and decide for yourself.
Where do you buy it? I'm curious and would give any of them a try.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had Vegemite but would like to try it. I will have to get it online because I've never seen it in the stores around here. What is in it that attracts cats?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've never had Vegemite or Marmite, not even sure if any of our stores sell it. Maybe a specialty store that sells imported food.

As for Bovril, also never had it, but Walmart shows it on their website in a bottle, calling it concentrated liquid stock. Interestingly, the Bovril "flavour" is chicken.