“Vegan” rescue not accepting cats now

Mariam05

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I was wondering if anyone has heard of a sanctuary who previously helped with rescuing a cat every now and then all of a sudden not accepting anymore cats because the sanctuary has gone vegan and since cats eat meat, which doesn’t fit with their standards (managers are vegan) per say won’t take in anymore cats just animals who don’t eat meat. If you haven’t what is your input about this type of situation. I really appreciate all comments. Thank you!

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That don't sound right ,in my opinion if you love animals being vegan or not you help them it ain't the cats fault they are carnivores

Sounds like they need a reality check

Greenmyrtle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think anyone who does rescue of any animals should be applauded. What they decide to rescue is up to them. If they want to run a mouse-only rescue that fine too

if they were a farm animal only rescue would you ask why they weren’t rescuing possums? Probably not

There are enough animals in need, that I’m sure they can fill their capacity with just the vegetarians - rabbits, birds, ruminants, rodents… good for them!

they are doing best they can do to assist animals. If a vegan doesn’t want to handle dead meat that’s a limit they can choose.

Hope we each do our little part to improve the world. We can’t all do everything.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say it's a little odd but if they want to stick to rabbits and guinea pigs (the only truly vegan pets---rodents and birds need bug/animal protein occasionally) that's fine. There's a need for sanctuaries for those animals too.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! This sounds like something vaguely related to the PETA belief that you can make cats vegan...which you cannot. Although, since they are turning them away, they may not foster that belief. I agree with DreamerRose DreamerRose that for as strange as this sounds, at least they have the intelligence not to sentence the cats to a slow death.