Vegan Info

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Interesting. And probably not wrong. However, she seemed to go to extremes with her vegan and healthy eating, possibly even nearing eating disorder territory. Then she did a complete turnaround when she swung back in the other direction and started eating meat again.

I've been vegetarian almost 11 years, and I did my research before, and still read up on nutrition to keep eating as healthily as I can. I'll admit that though I'd love to be vegan, it would involve a lot more focus on meal planning, and even then I'm not confident I'd eat enough different plant foods to stay healthy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah,
She is an intelligent woman but I feet she may have had an eating disorder in the past. My friend has a friend who makes hemp burgers and sells them at events.
She serves some with Vegan "cheese". Ali said it taste like poison:flail:, but she likes the burgers.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I've been vegetarian almost 11 years, and I did my research before, and still read up on nutrition to keep eating as healthily as I can.
:yeah: Ditto, same here. In fact, this is just one of the many reasons why I have an annual physical which includes a full set of labs and, fingers crossed, my test results have been very good. :crossfingers:

Dr. T. Colin Campbell, a nutriton biochemist from Cornell University conducted one of the most comprehensive and well known studies that spanned 20 years. It's called The China Study and researches the link between animal products and chronic illnesses. The China Study - Wikipedia
There are many other professional and highly regarded medical experts who are also advocates of a plant based diet, e.g. Dr. Caldwell Esselystyn, surgeon and former President of Medical Staff/Directior, Cardiovascular Disease Prevention at the Cleveland Clinic.

It is not my intention to debate this issue but simply point out as rubysmama rubysmama said above that whatever diet or health habits you choose should be done carefully and with the proper research. I'll step down from my soap box now. ;)

Mia6 Mia6 Thank you for pointing out that any diet or lifestyle has it's inherent dangers.

Last edited:

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I remember a cardiologist telling students that he has treated many vegetarian patients for heart problems related to lack of certain nutrients - vitamin B-12 in particular.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
~ I remember a cardiologist telling students that he has treated many vegetarian patients for heart problems related to lack of certain nutrients - vitamin B-12 in particular.
Vegetarians, who still eat eggs and dairy, don't have to worry as much about B-12, as all animal products contain some B-12.

Also, most vegetarian/vegan processed foods, such as soy or almond milk, veggie burgers, etc. have added B-12. But, of course, processed foods aren't always good for us, and a vegan who eats only a healthy whole foods/non processed foods plant diet, will need to have their B-12 checked regularly, and probably need to take a supplement.

Older people, in general, need to be more aware of a B-12 deficiency, as our body's ability to absorb it decreases with age. Vitamin B-12 Supplements Recommended for Older Adults

I've also read about the possibility of heart problems for vegetarians. I believe pertaining to a deficiency in an amino acid, but I can't remember for sure.

There's no diet that will ensure we will live forever, but I think for most people adding more vegetables to their diet will be beneficial. But as in everything, there's no "one size fits all" diet, and we have to make the choices we feel are the best for ourselves.

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I only eat plant based foods for breakfast and lunch mostly in the form of oatmealfor breakfast and green salad for lunch with nuts and fruit on the side, dinner is when I have meat mostly chicken or fish, with vegetables and a starch on the side, I feel for me that this works because meat is included but in a small percentage of my diet

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been vegan and vegetarian for over 60 years and the only deficiency to my knowledge has been iron. I take vitamins. I have a heart murmur but I don't know if that has anything to do with being vegetarian.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
My mother had a Vitamin B deficiency for a long time and she was also anemic.
She received weekly injections for the B12 deficiency. We ate red meat but not often until her diagnosis.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Chrissie Hyndes had a Vegan restaurant for 4 years near where I live. I didn't know it
had closed. I know a few people ate there and said it was amazing.

Some pics of what was served.

Akron's The Vegiterranean Closes Doors

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's too bad. The restaurant business is a hard one to be successful in. :(

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seeing that millions of Indians have been vegetarian for hundreds or thousands of years (I'm not really sure of the history), and many in India don't even have enough to eat, much less access to supplements, and they're still around, I tend not to believe fear-mongering about meatless diets. Of course, they're vegetarian, not vegan; a vegan diet does take some extra effort.

Also (just a rant), on the radio today the morning show person said that she "supports our farmers" by not being vegetarian. Where does she think vegetables come from? That may be the stupidest thing I've ever heard.