Varying Cat Diet

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a new kitty, Dodger, and would like to add some variety to his current food. He is a 3 year old male and a little chunky, but not fat. He's just a big cat, and he hasn't gained any weight since I got him 2 months ago.

He was eating Iams indoor dry food when I got him and I continued with that. He likes it, and won't touch canned food, though I have tried several. And yes, he drinks plenty of water.

I apologize for that long introduction to what I guess is a fairly simple question, but it's a new subject for me. If I buy frozen chicken breasts and/or hamburger is that ok to give him? Is there some reason I shouldn't? Is it better to cook it first?

Thanks for your feedback.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would cook it. On occasion I’ve boiled chicken breast for a couple of my cats but not an every day diet. I don’t think there’s not enough nutrition.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If I buy frozen chicken breasts and/or hamburger is that ok to give him? Is there some reason I shouldn't? Is it better to cook it first?

As a small topper to regular cat food or as a treat, yes. But not as a whole meal on it's own. You need to supplement plain meat for it to be a complete diet that can be fed every day.

Do not buy pre-ground meat from the supermarket or butcher shop. Bacteria in the store grinder will be mixed throughout the meat and may make your cat ill. Cooking will kill the bacteria but it's still not a good idea. Buy whole cuts of meat instead and cut / slice / etc yourself at home. Check the teeny tiny print on the package of meat to be sure it hasn't been enhanced with preservatives, broth, sodium solutions, flavorings, etc

Not all cats will eat raw meat so try cooking meat first. Poaching chicken in plain water until cooked through is fine. Shred some of the meat and offer to your cat. The rest of the chicken can be used for your own meals.

There are some supplement / treat only cans of cat food that are just shredded chicken in gravy that you can try. Applaws is one brand. Fancy Feat Broths is another. Sometimes picky cats prefer the canned cat food over chicken you lovingly cook for them :crazy:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As a small topper to regular cat food or as a treat, yes. But not as a whole meal on it's own. You need to supplement plain meat for it to be a complete diet that can be fed every day.

Do not buy pre-ground meat from the supermarket or butcher shop. Bacteria in the store grinder will be mixed throughout the meat and may make your cat ill. Cooking will kill the bacteria but it's still not a good idea. Buy whole cuts of meat instead and cut / slice / etc yourself at home. Check the teeny tiny print on the package of meat to be sure it hasn't been enhanced with preservatives, broth, sodium solutions, flavorings, etc

Not all cats will eat raw meat so try cooking meat first. Poaching chicken in plain water until cooked through is fine. Shred some of the meat and offer to your cat. The rest of the chicken can be used for your own meals.

There are some supplement / treat only cans of cat food that are just shredded chicken in gravy that you can try. Applaws is one brand. Fancy Feat Broths is another. Sometimes picky cats prefer the canned cat food over chicken you lovingly cook for them :crazy:
Thanks LTS3. As you suggested, I think I'll try the canned supplement first. Sounds safer and easier.