Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Values

Discussion in 'IMO: In My Opinion' started by Willowy, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Willowy

Willowy Thread Starter TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Offshoot of another thread.

What are Conservative Values?

What are Liberal Values?

Is there any agreement on the definitions? Is there a reputable reference site to determine what value is which?

catsknowme purraised this.

2. denice

denice Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    What are conservative values and what are liberal values means whatever a person wants to believe and it changes over time. Of the belief systems that have been articulated and set down with specifics I would consider myself a Classical Liberal in the British Tradition Classical liberalism - Wikipedia. The main reason I stuck with the Conservative and Republican label for many years was they at least paid lip service to fiscal responsibility. There is no fiscal responsibility in D.C. anymore, no one even bothers giving it lip service anymore.

3. Stinky15

Stinky15 TCS Member Super Cat

Jun 9, 2018
    East TX
    Liberal - Politics before Patriotism

4. mani

mani fervent feline fan Staff Member Moderator

Feb 28, 2012
    Australia
    MOD NOTE: The best responses are those where, if you adhere to a certain political side or belief, you put your case forward. Simply slamming the views of others is counter-productive.

Let's see if we can play nicely.

5. doomsdave

doomsdave TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    This is a bit like defining right and wrong in general, since so much is up to individuals, even if you don't agree. Down the rabbit hole we go . . . .

6. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Heh. It's funny that some people claim that their "conservative values" are so important to them, but then they can't define those values.

You have what's-her-name who had a poster up linking Rep. Omar to 9/11 saying that she's being persecuted for e
    Her conservative values, and others claim that her behavior is definitely not an example of conservative values. Tucker Carlson claiming that his behavior is an example of conservative values, and those claiming the opposite. It means whatever people want it to mean I guess.

So maybe this question is better: what makes a conservative different from a liberal?

7. doomsdave

doomsdave TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    From a lawyer's perspective, about justices on a court of appeal, a liberal judge will be concerned that a litigant will have a chance at finding justice, instead of having his or her case tossed on a technicality.

A conservative justice will fret over opening the floodgates, to all this litigation.

8. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Hey, well, one group (American Family Association) has started a protest/boycott against Walmart for showing a gay couple in one of their stupid commercials. Apparently it's "a slap in the face to Walmart's conservative customer base".

They're going to run out of places to shop.

doomsdave, catsknowme and muffy purraised this.

9. denice

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    I already very very rarely go to Walmart, it has been over two years since I have been in a Walmart. I need to be in a serious cash crunch situation before I go into Walmart. I don't like their business model. All of us that pay taxes subsidize Walmart, so many of their employees get assistance because of their lousy pay and benefits.

goingpostal, catsknowme and doomsdave purraised this.

10. Stinky15

Jun 9, 2018
    East TX
    Depends on where you live. I have a choice to shop between Walmart and another chain grocery store. While I prefer not to shop in Walmart it is like giving money away shopping in the other store. There is a big difference in prices. I do shop in the other store for vegetables because they are a better quality.
    BTW, your Union / Liberal meme about subsidizing Walmart and low pay is false as near as I can tell.

Myth Busted: Taxpayers Are Not Subsidizing Wal-Mart's Low Wages | Investor's Business Daily

11. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    LOL, their reasoning is silly. "Those government aid programs are designed specifically to supplement wage income". OK, guess subsidizing low-paying employers is the whole point. Anyway, around here, Walmart pays better than any other private employer and they offer health insurance, so that's nice. But most employees with families are still on food stamps. But that's true of everyone else who gets low pay too, no matter who their employer is.

So I won't say they're the only company being subsidized by the government, but it is true that most Walmart employees receive at least some form of government aid.

Not that that has anything to do with the subject, lol. Unless it's a "Conservative Value" to underpay your employees and let the government pick up the slack while making billions in profit ;).

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019

12. denice

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    This was what I liked about Sherrod Brown's idea for a 'freeloader tax'. Companies that paid a living wage with decent benefits pay one rate and companies that don't pay a higher rate. He called it a freeloader tax because so many of their employees qualify for government benefits. He also wanted to ding companies for offshoring. He says the way things are now companies offshore jobs and pick up their tax cut as the jobs leave.

doomsdave and Lari purraised this.

13. Stinky15

Jun 9, 2018
    East TX
    People always demonize Walmart. I have a friend who will not shop in Walmart. His claim is they kill of local small business'. Others share same sentiment. I personally think that's a good thing. Without Walmart wages would be lower and no insurance except for Obamacare (which is a joke).

14. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Maybe we should start a thread about Walmart. And/or resurrect the ACA thread.

My brother has worked for Walmart since he was a teenager. The ACA greatly improved the quality of his insurance coverage. Probably that's true for most people. Are you willing to explain why you don't like the ACA?

15. Stinky15

Jun 9, 2018
    East TX
    Yes, but I dont want any more "your oiff topic" posts.

"The ACA greatly improved the quality of his insurance coverage."

How about you?

16. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    This is off-topic. Do you mean you don't like new threads?
    Didn't change mine, except for a few minor details. I have federal employee/union insurance so it was already great.

17. AbbysMom

AbbysMom At Abby's beck and call Staff Member Moderator

May 18, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Yes, can we please get back on topic here?

mani and jcat purraised this.

18. gareth

gareth TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 19, 2003
    UK
    I tick all the boxes for how you would describe a liberal. Pick a topic, be it abortion, gay rights, equality, the death penalty, the economy, education, stem cell research, energy, euthanasia, and I will probably find myself nodding to the liberal perspective.

I am also a combat veteran. Please explain how I have placed politics before patriotism.

Mia6, catsknowme, mightyboosh and 3 others purraised this.

19. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    The State of South Dakota now requires all classrooms in public schools to display "In God We Trust" signs, and say that they'll fully fund any federal lawsuits on the subject.

The signs are utterly meaningless, of course, but the lack of separation of church and state is worrisome. How far will they go? Plus the waste of state funds on signs and lawsuits.

So much for individual freedom and the Constitution :/.

catsknowme, micknsnicks2mom and muffy purraised this.

20. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Who would you accept? Only politicians, or just anybody who's right-wing? Because there are plenty. Let me know what kind of person you want to hear it from that won't just make you say "that doesn't count, he's just a random weirdo".

What do "conservative values" mean to you? Many say it means upholding traditional authority structures. Which means some people need to be forced to submit to those traditional authority structures. How do you think that's done?

What do you think should be done to/with/about trans people? I've heard so often that trans people whould be forced to live as the gender they were assigned at birth (banned), or put into mental hospitals (jailed), or, yes, killed. Same with feminists.

What information source should I change? Living in a right-wing state? Hmm, might be expensive.