Vaginal Discharge End of Pregnancy

nancyjoel123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Ginger is approximately 56-64 days along in her pregnancy. She hasn’t been eating as much as usual the last few days. She has been sleeping more also. Today, I noticed she has a vaginal discharge. At first it was brownish. Now it is a pale yellow and it’s the consistency of glue. Is this likely the mucus plug? I went ahead and set up a nesting box (she loves it!). It’s been a long time since I had a pregnant cat. Thank you for your advice!! 1D6A8691-6D78-4F8B-B589-785BF04AA926.jpeg

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It probably was the mucus plug. She ought to go into labor soon. Glad she loves the nesting box. You can put a towel underneath her that you can take out and wash after the kittens are born. There usually isn't much blood, though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nancyjoel123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It probably was the mucus plug. She ought to go into labor soon. Glad she loves the nesting box. You can put a towel underneath her that you can take out and wash after the kittens are born. There usually isn't much blood, though.
Thank you! Ginger has been grooming a lot the last couple weeks, and I have noticed she is working on her bottom more than the rest of her body now. I have also noticed an increase in fetal movement. She seems a tad anxious this week, but yet she wants more attention lately (especially from me). This is her first litter. When will she likely start labor?

nancyjoel123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My guess is 3 to 4 days. If she's anxious, she may want you to be with her when she gives birth. Some cats do.
Yes, she follows me everywhere and even sleeps under my chair at lunch and dinner. So I definitely feel like she will want me close by.

nancyjoel123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could be a week. You usually see less kitten movement the closer they get to labor.
Oh ok. I was thinking there was usually less movement at the end. But honestly I can’t remember much about the last pregnant kitty I had since I was also pregnant at that time, and it was almost eight years ago.

nancyjoel123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to give an update. I haven’t noticed any more discharge since this morning. However, my daughter accidentally left the back door open a little too long and Ginger slipped outside. My husband was loading the mower into his truck trailer, and the noise frightened her. She started having visible contractions and panting within minutes. I was able to get her to walk inside her carrier and tote her back into the house. I opened the carrier once we were inside the birthing room. She took a few steps and laid down. The contractions, panting, and slow pacing went on for about an hour and then subsided. She is acting like herself again, catching bugs as she always does. I was able to check her temperature after she had remained calm for about an hour. 98.9 degrees Fahrenheit.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:woohoo:

And, from the looks of it.............you have a lot more Ginger in the house now! :lol:

And, that means pics pics pics........more pics :hyper:

nancyjoel123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you to everyone for all your help and advice. Ginger is an amazing mother! She hasn’t left her kittens more than five minutes at a time since giving birth. She had been doing all the things she should be doing as far as nursing, grooming, etc. She didn’t eat anything except the placentas for the first 48 hours after delivery, and she would hardly touch her water. She seemed very weak, so I bought KMR kitten milk in powder form, and I have been giving it to her twice a day. On the third day (yesterday) post partum, she started eating small amounts of food. She also seems stronger and has been walking around some today. However, she has vomited twice today. Is this likely due to her decrease in appetite and just beginning to eat or is something wrong?? Any help is greatly appreciated!

nancyjoel123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good news! She hasn’t vomited at all today, and she visited her other feline friends for a few minutes. Sad news- one of the kittens (the runt) has passed away.