Vacuum Recommendations?

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Got home from my root canal (RIP wallet) only to discover that the spin brush on our vacuum won't work, which means I can't effectively vacuum the carpets. This, as we all know, is not acceptable with all the cat fur that gets shed around here!

Husband took it apart today, couldn't find any sensors or anything. Put it all back together and the spin brush still won't work...sigh.

I'll be emailing Shark, but the vacuum is almost 3 years old, so I'm not sure there will be anything they can do.

Can anyone give a good vacuum recommendation for under $150? The root canal has really squeezed us tight. $100 or less would be even better.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got home from my root canal (RIP wallet) only to discover that the spin brush on our vacuum won't work, which means I can't effectively vacuum the carpets. This, as we all know, is not acceptable with all the cat fur that gets shed around here!

Husband took it apart today, couldn't find any sensors or anything. Put it all back together and the spin brush still won't work...sigh.

I'll be emailing Shark, but the vacuum is almost 3 years old, so I'm not sure there will be anything they can do.

Can anyone give a good vacuum recommendation for under $150? The root canal has really squeezed us tight. $100 or less would be even better.
I really love my Dirt Devil bagless with HEPA filter. I bought it refurb on the manufacturer's website at DirtDevil.com and I've had it a few years now, so it is not made any more, but they do have a lot of great ones to choose from. I prefer bagless, and I like the HEPA filter. I looked for a long cord because this is a big house -- the cord on mine is 32'. They have "pet" specific vacs and I would very much recommend the brand, which is affordable and high quality.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have Navigator Lift-Away Deluxes, but they're both about 10 years old so I don't know what the price would be on them. We like them a lot. They're old, but they still really suck :flail:

The nice thing is these vacuums have two settings, one for carpets and rugs, and one for bare floors and really do the trick. The canister is see-through and it's fun to see the hair go flying up in a tornado.
Also, sorry about your tooth (and your wallet :frown:) I hope you both feel better soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
We have Navigator Lift-Away Deluxes, but they're both about 10 years old so I don't know what the price would be on them. We like them a lot. They're old, but they still really suck :flail:

The nice thing is these vacuums have two settings, one for carpets and rugs, and one for bare floors and really do the trick. The canister is see-through and it's fun to see the hair go flying up in a tornado.
Also, sorry about your tooth (and your wallet :frown:) I hope you both feel better soon.
That's how this one is! Two settings and the tornado effect. It's been such a kicka** vacuum that I don't really want a new one.

Just looked at the vacuum- it's a Shark Navigator Deluxe! We got it for a steal at Target when we first moved. We were giddy when we bought it, lol.

Thank you! Tooth is feeling ok, still pressure sensitive.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's a thread on vacuum cleaners:

Dyson is popular but pricey. Sometimes you can find a good deal, though. Usually around the holidays or one of those Amazon sale thingies.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My sympathy on the root canal. Those are miserable. Before you toss the vac go through the manual to see if they have a trouble shooting section and to find out if there is a belt. A broken belt is the usual cause if the brush not spinning.

It also might be way cheaper to take it into a vacuum shop for repairs.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it would be worth it to get it repaired.

I have a pretty cheap Black and Decker Lightweight and Compact vacuum that I got for probably $50 from Target last year that actually works pretty well. It is very simple and doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, but that's all I really need anyway.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
That's how this one is! Two settings and the tornado effect. It's been such a kicka** vacuum that I don't really want a new one.

Just looked at the vacuum- it's a Shark Navigator Deluxe! We got it for a steal at Target when we first moved. We were giddy when we bought it, lol.

Thank you! Tooth is feeling ok, still pressure sensitive.

That vacuum most definitely has a belt. Sometimes even if the belt appears to be whole and okay it is not and replacing it is necessary and will get the roller spinning again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks you all! Husband said the belt looked ok, still had grooves, etc., but we will get a replacement.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
If all else fails, get a shop vac. It'll suck the drapes right off the rods :flail:
~ Exactly ! Got one for $60. as a temporary. Never went back to the "fancy" home vacuum. They even make a residential model with a carpet brush, quiet motor and other accessories.
It will indeed pull the curtains off the rods! I accidentally sucked up a hand towel once . :eek2:´

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A friend of mine bought a Dyson Pet brand new and in no time, it lost suction and did not clean well. I think it's insane to spend the amount they charge on a vacuum. That's just my opinion. Yes, if it's a belt -- and you will be able to see clearly if it is -- you can replace it cheaply. You should keep one or two belts on hand anyway, because eventually you will need to replace it. The same goes for any other small replaceable parts such as filters.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Exactly ! Got one for $60. as a temporary. Never went back to the "fancy" home vacuum. They even make a residential model with a carpet brush, quiet motor and other accessories.
It will indeed pull the curtains off the rods! I accidentally sucked up a hand towel once . :eek2:´
We have a large model in my shop. I took the end off and just used the big ended hose, and sucked a pair of horse clippers up and got them stuck in the hose :flail: