Vaccines For Inside Cat

Joandlily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there

I would love to hear you options on the following do inside cats really need to be vaccinated every year ?

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats are indoor only.

For new cats in my home (kittens or adults) I get one complete set of vaccines. For 2 years. After that, I only maintain the rabies vaccine; that is required by law. If something were to happen and the cat bit someone, with no rabies vaccine the cat must be PTS and tested for rabies.

If the adult cat arrives with prior vaccine history, I adjust the above accordingly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Joandlily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats are indoor only.

For new cats in my home (kittens or adults) I get one complete set of vaccines. For 2 years. After that, I only maintain the rabies vaccine; that is required by law. If something were to happen and the cat bit someone, with no rabies vaccine the cat must be PTS and tested for rabies.

If the adult cat arrives with prior vaccine history, I adjust the above accordingly.
Thank you for that information. I am planning on finishing my kittens vaccinations then not doing it every year since he will be strictly an indoor cat

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For most of my cats, since they are strays that have showed up, I do like the above, two sets of complete vaccinations and then that is it. For my house cats, which do go out, I get a set every year, mainly for a checkup and no more at all for my 16 year old who has a heart condition and gets so upset. I have heard quite bit that cats only need vaccinations every three years to remain covered, I wish I could be sure with more studies. We had distemper go through a few years ago and it was heartbreaking, a lingering death for the very young, despite medical care. The older ferals and strays which many I knew had never been vaccinated survived, most likely because they had survived an earlier exposure.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for that information. I am planning on finishing my kittens vaccinations then not doing it every year since he will be strictly an indoor cat
I have an indoor cat in a single cat household, a rescue with diagnosed FHV. She reacts badly to certain vaccines. In my case, if my cat's vet and I agree and have talked over all the pros and cons of particular vaccinations, we adjust or disregard any yearly vaccinations which might follow her initial "kittenhood vaccinations" -- barring the rabies vac, which she will always get when it is due.