Vaccine issues !!

Seunie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi TCS members , I wanna ask abt ur experience w the FVRCP vaccine , today I took my 1 year old cat to get vaccinated but I didn't go for our regular vet cz she is in vacation right now and vaccines are not something to worry abt , it it was smth serious I would wait for her opinion cz I trust her , anyway , I took him to the vet and he took his shots for the first time but the vet told there is no need for booster after 21 days as he is already older than 1 year , is it really okay , anyone experienced this before ???

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did he have any kitten vaccines?

The protocol, for a previously unvaccinated adult cat, is to give 2 vaccines 3 or 4 weeks apart. But tbh, I've never had a vet do that, and everything seems to be fine so far.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Seunie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

The protocol, for a previously unvaccinated adult cat, is to give 2 vaccines 3 or 4 weeks apart. But tbh, I've never had a vet do that, and everything seems to be fine so far.
Your cats received one shot right ? and did they get a shot yearly ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Seunie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

No he didn't have any kitten vaccine , it was his first time and I told the vet this

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cats received one shot right ? and did they get a shot yearly ?
Yeah just one to start. And the vet does do yearly vaccinations but I don't usually stick to that for housecats. The current AVMA recommendation is "no more often than once every 3 years" for FVCRP.

You do want to stay current on rabies vaccines so you don't end up with legal trouble.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And I should add that if there are a lot of panleukopenia (often mistakenly called "distemper") cases in your area, then it would be best to insist on a booster.