Vacation!

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
       SO EXCITED! We just have to make it until 3:00PM this Thursday and then we are on vacation until the 29th. Normally we don't do much on our vacation because of the kitties, but I have guilt tripped Mom into taking care of litter box/food duty as well as giving Buster his insulin. We are going to go camping in Bangor, ME for 5 days at Red Barn Campground. (About a 4 and a half hour drive away.) We LOVE to camp and have never been to Bangor so I look forward to not only camping, but shopping across the border as well as checking out Acadia National Park.

We have been so busy and burnt out between work and the fostering, so it will be so nice to just get away and not worry about anything. (Although I'll miss the furkids like crazy.) I can't wait to be snuggled up to my hunny in front of a campfire with a LARGE beverage of the alcoholic kind and a marshmellow roasting for smores!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never been to Maine, but one of my favorite writers happens to live there.  I've heard it's very pretty.  It sounds like such fun...have a wonderful time! 

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh you'll love Acadia! We've been there quite often. Make sure to stop in Bar Harbor while you are in that area.

Not sure how you are getting to Bangor, but if you happen to be on route 1 north of Ellsworth, taking the turn onto route 186 and following the signs to see the Schoodic area of Acadia is worth it also.

There's a nice winery in that area as well.

http://www.bartlettwinery.com/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh you'll love Acadia! We've been there quite often. Make sure to stop in Bar Harbor while you are in that area.
Not sure how you are getting to Bangor, but if you happen to be on route 1 north of Ellsworth, taking the turn onto route 186 and following the signs to see the Schoodic area of Acadia is worth it also.
There's a nice winery in that area as well.
http://www.bartlettwinery.com/
Thanks for the tips! We were going to check out Bar Harbor but I was told that it's still the off season there and it might not be worth it? Might check it out anyway though.

I'm not sure exactly how we're getting there... All I know is we have GPS, LOL. We'll be going across the border from St. Stephen, NB into Calais Maine.

I'm all for checking out a winery too! I have to be careful about what alcohol I take home though... We got dinged at the border last time.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Everything in Bar Harbor will open up next weekend, but enough should be open already. We were there in January. Some of the shops and restaurants are open year-round, and of course the scenery is always there. We were going to do a day trip to Campobello when we were there, but after I got a big boo boo the second day we were there and needed follow up visits with the doctor, that went out the window.

There is a winery and a brewery in bar harbor. :lol3:

http://www.barharborcellars.com/

http://www.atlanticbrewing.com/

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMGOSH!!! I LOVE Bangor, ME.... My brother used to live there and was married there two years ago! Beautiful country. YES - Bar Harbor is a must see as well. OHHHH, I hope you and Dana have a fantastic trip :lovegrin: You both deserve this much needed break :nod:. How wonderful that you were able to "guilt trip" mom into babysitting :woohoo: Have fun and safe travels!!!!!! :vibes: :heart2:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It went GREAT!
We couldn't have asked for better weather! We checked out Bar Harbor, got some amazing pics at Acadia National Park (couldn't get over the views from Cadillac Mountain!), shopped a little in Bangor and REALLY enjoyed the Kisma Animal Preserve. Wasn't too into the campground we stayed in though. The sites had no privacy at all, the campground was too close to the main road and our site was RIGHT beside a lumberyard, so we were woken up at the crack of dawn each morning by saws & tractors.
All in all we had a great time though. We did come back Monday instead of Tuesday, simply because we did everything we wanted to do, and ran out of money.
We also missed the kitties REALLY badly.

For anyone on FB, I have pics posted here: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151753563100327.869171.503770326&type=1

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Nice pictures! I haven't been to Kisma in a few years. :). I knew you would like Acadia. :D