Vacation - What Do You Do?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Rick is leaving for Vegas early tomorrow morning for a week. I don't fly, so I stay home. But I don't care that he goes; he enjoys Vegas, all the hustle going on, the shows, the food, the gambling. My idea of a perfect vacation is staying home and working in the house, working in the yard, spending afternoons in the pool, baking, flopping on the couch with a good book (or three). No Rick, no Beast, no work. It's so relaxing and I get to do things that I want to do and I don't have to explain to anybody that "today is for reading only". Sometimes by 7:30 or so, I've already had my shower and I'm tucked into bed with the kids and a book.

I also like to actually go on vacation, though, and we're thinking of going to Myrtle Beach, SC sometime in September. Just thinking at this point. Usually we go to Vermont, but I think I could use some beach time with Dear Richard. At this point, we're in the talking-about-it stage; Rick hasn't done anything about it yet.

What about you? Do you like to go somewhere on vacation or are you a stay-cation person?

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm happy to stay at home but given a chance we always go to the same place in Spain. It's a 4 star family hotel called Golden Taurus Park at Pineda De Mar. We take the family tribe with us so it's expensive. My wife would live in the hotel permanently if she could.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm home all the time, so I prefer to go away. If it were a stay at home vacation, we would probably do day trips.

Cat Sidhe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, Pineda de Mar looks amazing! Spain is soooo sunny :sunshine: You´re very lucky!!

I want to go someday to China, India, Japan, Morocco, Iceland... I would love to spend an entire month doing the Trans-Siberian railway journey, collect sand from all the beaches I visit, sleep one night in the middle of the Sahara dessert...

But in real life, I usually spend all my vacations visiting relatives, because I live far away. If not, they will start complaining because I "forgot them completely" and I´m a "very bad person".

I can´t be picky, so even if you give me a log cabin in front of a puddle I´m more than happy to stay there for a couple of days.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard to travel when you have pets- right now a dog and two cats. And I live by myself so it's no fun to travel alone. And my sister lives at home with two big dogs, one of which is very needy. So it's really impossible for the entire family to go away somewhere. The animals keep us grounded.

But when I do take "vacation time" I use it to go home and visit my family. Once in the summer and again in October. My job is unique in that I usually get time off during the holidays anyway, so I don't need to take time during Christmas, I work during Easter--that's one of the big parts of the job, And we always get time off during other holidays, we just close the office a few extra days.

I have to get a sitter for the cats, and Bosco goes with me.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I love going to upstate maine in the middle of nowhere on a lake/pond. I take my cats. They prefer to be with us. This year we tried a new place-too expensive but it wasn't bad. I look for a place down a dirt road so no traffic. I prefer larger lots so I don't have to worry about the cats ticking people off or dogs in our yard. Luckily the area we stayed in there was only 3 of us out of 15 or so camps there. So it was like being the only people on that side of the 3 mile pond. Got to bring my dad n his girlfriend who loved it. We sat outside watched the wildlife and Honeybee stays with us. Pumps hid in Jons room when they were up otherwise she went next door to sleep undisturbed on their deck. She never goes far=just far enough away from Honeybee. Honeybee only goes out with us-she doesn't like being alone so it works out good. They whine in the morning to go out-go out for a short jaunt then sleep all day until around 3ish then go out for an hour.. Pumps comes in around 6ish and sleeps on Jons bed. Honeybee slept in the window each night.

We try to find a cat friendly area and people who like animals. I only do this once a year-I don't go away anywhere else. I don't want to leave them behind. So for now it's what we do. This was the 10th year of a summer vacation. I look forward to it each year.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love sightseeing and the beach. I can't walk comfortably right now, so the sightseeing is out. Oceans are too far away, so I will have to look at resorts around the Great Lakes.

I have the same problem with the cats. I suppose I could take them with me to some places, but don't look forward to the yowling in the car for hours.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I much prefer going far away as possible, although the past few years that hasn't happened due to cats and some health issues.
We've been taking some small trips now that we have a very trusted friend to watch the kitties. Sort of testing her out to see how well she does and so far, we're happy.
We are starting to plan a real, possibly 2 weeks trip next early summer. Fingers crossed!

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Traaavveeeeel! Love it! That's my perfect vacation.

Last place I went was Czech Republic and Austria, prior to that Ireland and Northern Ireland.

To me, exploring and illuminating/stimulating the mind, by being in and seeing historical settings is what relaxes me, thrills me and makes me content.

While I can enjoy doing nothing but lounging or chilling, I can't do it for too long - I'll get bored soon - I need to be able to see things too.

Currently, my mother watches my fluff babies, which she is happy to do. Much appreciated!

Trying to decide on where to go next, so far I narrowed it down to a small list.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am partially disabled so I can't really travel like I would like to. I would be happy just to see the West Coast. Maybe after I get my knees done I will be able to travel a little.

Muffy

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like day trips. I love to get up early, get a cup of coffee, get in the car and ramble around all day with my husband.
Then I love being able to come home, tired, and sleep in my own bed.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a homebody and I'm really not a fan of the whole traveling process. At least not by car. We flew to Disney last year with my Mom and Step-dad and that was great! It helps that the kids were so excited about their first plane trip.

But car trips...ugh. I've lived several states away from family for over 20 years. DH's family is several states away in the other direction. Almost all vacations are spent driving one direction or the other. I love spending time with family; but I don't love getting there! I can't read in the car and I dislike driving if I can help it! At least our kids can watch movies in the back seat. When I was a kid I only had music or my imagination.

For the vacation time itself; I usually prefer something low-key. We do day-hikes and some eating out and going between family members to visit. When we visit DH's family we try to spend a lot of time with his sister and her kids so all our kids can get together. When we visit my family we spend a lot of time with my cousin's kids now that they have them. And lots of time with the older generation. It makes the hassle of traveling worth it.

Having said all that; I enjoyed Disney SO MUCH last year I'm aching to go back. Like ASAP. :lol: Like; can I go tomorrow? ;) My introverted nature means there are very few people I would want to do that with. My Mom and Step-dad are definitely the exception. Probably because 1. they understand that about me! 2. They help with the kids and 3. We get separate hotel rooms. :crazy:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like to stay at home, get up when I feel like it, read and snooze and do what I want , when I want. I'm retired now so everyday is a holiday.:hyper:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I like to travel and experience different cultures but until I win the lottery my travel destination(s) will be limited. :wink: