UV flashlights

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seen some UV flashlights on sale on the web. They claim to be able to spot traces of biological materials, namely urine or vomit traces on most surfaces.
Has any of you ever tried them? Do they do what they say they do? Do they work better in the dark?
I would be interested in finding traces of urine on my tiled floor. I have a kitten home and she's peeing in a few corners and places, and I keep cleaning everything, but I would like to understand if something has been left behind.
Thanks!

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a tiny one that I use at home. Forgot what it cost or where I got it (probably VeryDice) but I find it works very well. I generally shine at night in the dark after cleaning. Not sure about vomit or urine though.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have one i got on Amazon for maybe $12. I read a lot of reviews. It works best in the dark with a concentrated beam of light. It does seem to work. Noodles' has occasional accidents but since she was put on a diuretic her urine doesn't always smell strongly. I do wonder if that makes it harder to detect with the flashlight though.

I have this one; it's currently $8 on Amazon.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have this one; it's currently $8 on Amazon........
Hmmmmmmmm...........just noticed this in first bullet point on that page:
  • Find invisible stains: Daktronics UV flashlight helps detect food stains and pet urine stains on rugs, carpets, and clothes that are otherwise invisible to the naked Eye. Not work well on cat urine
Antonio65 Antonio65 - check the fine print carefully !

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I got one for my garden. Tomato hornworms glow a fluorescent green under UV light at night. I haven't had much luck spotting urine inside, I thought maybe my kitties never missed the litter box!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seen this one on the Italian website of Amazon
Screenshot_20191120_210756_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping~2.jpg

In the page says it can reveal urine spots for cats and dogs. Hopefully it is true. Anyway I will ask users a question, maybe one of them has some experience.
The feedback from buyers is excellent.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one i got on Amazon for maybe $12. I read a lot of reviews. It works best in the dark with a concentrated beam of light. It does seem to work. Noodles' has occasional accidents but since she was put on a diuretic her urine doesn't always smell strongly. I do wonder if that makes it harder to detect with the flashlight though.

I have this one; it's currently $8 on Amazon.
That's the one I have. I think I got mine for $5 but that was 4 years ago. Also, from experience, ALWAYS read the reviews. Don't just go by the star rating. Lester Holt had a segment on how these sellers get fake reviews to up their sales on Amazon, last week. Just a heads up