Uti?

bellakitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This didn't even cross my mind until I read the post on peeing problems in the behavior section..... I just got a kitten about 2 weeks ago and she is now 9 weeks old. Ever since I got her she will pee outside of her litter box. I thought it might be stuff that our Salt Water aquarium stuff had been in (due to the ammonia), but she has continued to do it! Well anyways, I treated her for worms about 4 days ago because her tummy is really bloated, but it is still extremely bloated. Is this a sign of a UTI? or something else?

Also, is it normal for her urine to be extremely yellow? I don't recall that being normal, but it has been awhile since I have had a indoor kitten.

Thanks in advance.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would certainly get her vet checked. The symptoms could well be a urinary infection, especially coupled with her constant thirst.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by BellaKitty

This didn't even cross my mind until I read the post on peeing problems in the behavior section..... I just got a kitten about 2 weeks ago and she is now 9 weeks old. Ever since I got her she will pee outside of her litter box. I thought it might be stuff that our Salt Water aquarium stuff had been in (due to the ammonia), but she has continued to do it! Well anyways, I treated her for worms about 4 days ago because her tummy is really bloated, but it is still extremely bloated. Is this a sign of a UTI? or something else?

Also, is it normal for her urine to be extremely yellow? I don't recall that being normal, but it has been awhile since I have had a indoor kitten.

Thanks in advance.
Have you had her to the vet for a check-up yet? Is the worming medicine something you got from a vet or over-the-counter? (O-T-C medications often don't work and if that's what you used your kitty may very well still have worms.

I would strongly urge you to take your kitty to the vet for a full checkup for UTI and also worms. (Take a stool sample as fresh as possible with you.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bellakitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, yeah it was OTC worm pills. I will definetely get her into the vet this week. Thanks for the advice

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT EVER USE OTC WORMERS!!! (not really yelling at you, haha, just stressing)... I talked to my vet about them (and I trust her more than anything...) and she told me that a lot of OTC wormers can contain an ingredient which can possibly cause seizures!! Please try to stay away from OTC meds... it may seem cheaper than getting your kitty into the vet, but is it worth risking the cat's life? The litterbox problems and very yellow piddle sounds a lot like a UTI... I would definitely bring a poo sample into the vet with you (whether they requested one or not) since your kitty probably still has worms.... (They will need the poo to test for all kinds of worms)

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat urine is supposed to be medium amber colored but bright yellow urine and increased drinking could possibly be a sign of a liver condition. When she goes to the vet, they will run the appropriate tests to find out what is going on.

She probably does have worms (almost all kittens do) but the vet will give her a routine dewormer when she visits. As long as she doesn't have crazy severe diarrhea, the worms aren't going to harm her over the next few days. You're doing the right thing by taking her to the vet.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by semiferal

Cat urine is supposed to be medium amber colored but bright yellow urine and increased drinking could possibly be a sign of a liver condition. When she goes to the vet, they will run the appropriate tests to find out what is going on.

She probably does have worms (almost all kittens do) but the vet will give her a routine dewormer when she visits. As long as she doesn't have crazy severe diarrhea, the worms aren't going to harm her over the next few days. You're doing the right thing by taking her to the vet.
Stupid question but how would you tell the color of the urine?? outside of the vet probing a sample??

unscleric

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just had a cat come back from a Urinary tract infection/blockage and when he came back, due to the infection and 2 nights of catheter, ended up peeing a lot of places he shouldn't have, and sometimes it was a white tile floor, that's how I saw mine cat's. Cats with UTIs pee out of the litterbox, it's one of the main signs.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Originally Posted by sharky

Stupid question but how would you tell the color of the urine?? outside of the vet probing a sample??
I believe somewhere along the way, the fact that this kitty is peeing outside the litter box was mentioned, so I'm sure a pee sample was seen on the floor somewhere....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bellakitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The floor is white tile that she keeps peeing on. She also kept peeing in a white bowl that we had sitting by the fish tank. Very easy to see the color when she is going in places like that.