UTI? NO money left on the credit card..HELP!

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Matt's crying when he pees....pooping outside the box....and looking at me sadly  from the top of the basement stairs(his personal box is downstairs) At least he IS still peeing, and drinking lots....

I spent the last two grand on my credit cards to fix my van over the last couple months, so I have nothing to tap. Medi-card wants paperwork from me before they'll process my application, and I'm not sure where the items are that they need.....I'm waiting to hear back from a vet office that  helps low-income and hard luck cases 

I'm in a panic over here

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Could a friend or family member lend you some money? Or else, could you come to an agreement with the vet to pay in stages?

I hope the low income vet office is able to see you :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If I hear back from this vet, I believe they will see him and make arrangements with me. their definition of "low income " is about ten grand higher than my family income, so I don't see being refused....so it comes down to if they think he's an emergency or not.  He IS still peeing, but he cries when he does..

I have nowhere left to turn, having already exhausted available sources of borrowing. and not knowing anyone with money. the shelter I got him from will give me some ph food if I go there, but I'm not sure how much that will help at this point?

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
By ph food, I assume you mean veterinary urinary diet. That can help dissolve crystals, but if they're bad it won't fix it by itself. It also won't help if Matt has an infection.

As far as home care, get him on the veterinary diet, and do everything you can to increase Matt's fluid intake. The more hydrated he is, the more it will help flush things out (though again, it's not a cure by itself). I find flavoured water (such as water chicken has been poached in, or water that you've steeped tuna in spring water in) is generally enthusiastically accepted. Ice cubes sometimes go down well too. Another trick is to mix water into the wet food - start with a tablespoon, but use as much as Matt will happily tolerate.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help. It's good that Matt is still able to pee. Is his urine output normal sized, or is it lots of little pees - probably with extra straining? The bigger the output per pee, the less blocked he currently is (hope that makes sense).

These links have some good info about urinary issues - you might find some more help there :-

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/feline-lower-urinary-tract-disease-flutd

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/tips-to-increase-your-cat-s-water-intake

http://www.catinfo.org

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh poor Matt. I'm glad to hear he is drinking & still peeing though. Is it normal amounts? I hope so. You definitely don't want him to block.  ($$$)

I hope you hear back from that vet soon, so Matt doesn't have to be in pain long. I've been thnrough a UTI once & cystitis twice with Angel, so I can sympathize.

When you said the medi-card needed info from you, was that Care Credit?  I had to get that when Angel got cystitis, & it was quick & easy.  If that's not the one you were talking about, I would look into it ASAP.  After having to leave Angel at the vet the first time, they told me about it, & I went streight home & applied for it on line. Care credit even sent my new number directly to the vet, so the bill would be covered, while  waited to get the actual card in the mail. 

YES, definitely go & get that pH food from the adoption people. It WILL help. It's what you can do for him while waiting on the vet.  (& would stop any dry food all together, if he gets any).

Angel had to stay on Rx food for a year.  (Purina UR SO) After that I was able to find a healthier, more natural choice that addressed that same as a urinary formula. (Dave;s Restricted Diet, magnesium formula) 

Even though he only eats wet food, I still to this day add a little extra water in his food from the PUR filter.  (all of this happened back in 2012. The last one we were at the animal hospital on Christmas morning!)

I will keep you & Matt in my prayers, I hate that he is going through this. I hope you're able to get help very,very soon!   He needs antibiotics.

Please keep me posted. 

Kelly

Last edited:

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
he cries, then pees his normal large puddle, with a little spill either before or after(can't hear the spill but I can see the little clump)

He's drinking plenty, and I have a sample of  the powder that you mix into raw food....would that be good to make him a broth? It's U stew

his poops are all out of the box now...he's going in a corner of the basement...but he's peeing in the box, although hee seems to only do that if I go down there with him? He follows me down when I do laundry, or sits at the top of the stairs and waits for me until I check to see what he needs

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's great that his urine output is good still.

I wouldn't use the U Stew for a broth - its a vitamin supplement to balance a raw food diet...it probably wouldn't taste very nice by itself, and might od him on certain vitamins etc. Stick with watering his cat food until you can make some broth for him. If you have any low sodium chicken broth, that's probably ok too - just be certain it's free of onions and garlic.

Try not to panic too much. He's clearly in pain, but it doesn't sound like he's close to rupture.

When you do see a vet, mention the pooping out of the box too. It's just possible he's having issues there too (I really hope not, but it's as well to be sure).

Hang in there. Hopefully you'll hear back from the vet soon.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad he is peeing, that is good. I do think he has some sort of infection or something going on. Do try as the others have suggested to feed him extra water, and preferrably no dry food. Also try to stay away from any fishy flavored food, but even fishy flavored food is better than dry if he will eat it.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Normal big pee's, Good!  So glad to hear that!  It is weird that he is pooping outside of the box though.  Wonder if it's a type of association w/ the box & pain when peeing?? Maybe you will have to add an extra box? 

Not sure. Yes, definitely mention that to the vet as Columbine said.  It's also good he is drinking a lot. If you have any chicken to boil plain, then you can cool that broth & give it to him & see if he will drink it, but as long as he is drinking water that's fine. Do you have a water filter/give him filtered water? That will be important too.  Definitely keep an eye on the pee as soon as you can, possibly before he covers it, so you can keep an eye out for any pink or red, to let the vet know.  Hope you hear back soon! 

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No word back from the vet so I'm going to have to try and get hold of them again.

On the plus side, Matt peed twice today and I didn't hear him cry. His underside's not irritating him anymore-he's good for bellyrubs and jumping around  He also went fly hunting and hi ears don't show the pink of fever anymore. I'll keep watering down his food, and boil some chicken tonight....and call the vet back tomorrow. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry the vet hasn't got back to you. Good to hear that Matt's feeling better today. You may have caught it in time for the extra hydration to sort him out :cross:

All the same, I hope you get good news from the vet.

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well the vet never did call me back, they must not have deemed him enough of an emergency to receive funding. Now here's the funny thing:

While waiting for the vet to call, I put Matt back on wet food(we'd been convinced by someone that friskies was horrible for him and Orijjins was gong to be much better for his overall health, which has always been a little iffy)

Within a day: He's peeing normal-no crying. Fever red in his ears is gone, and his energy's up

yesterday, his litterbox is normal, including BOTH deposots, and he's playing again, and you'd never know he'd been under the weather 4days ago!

He's Stopped chewing his belly hair, and now exposees it happily for rubs, his bladder feels just as healthy as Midnight's does, and he's chasing flies like a pro!

Maybe he was just allergic to the "better food" ??

at any rate, every day he does well is time for us to put a paycheque aside for vet bills....

Last edited:

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear he is better. Must have been some allergy or something to the food.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sure sounds like it had something to do with his diet. So glad you sorted it out and that he is back to himself now! :)

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just goes to show that even the best quality food doesn't suit every cat. So glad Matt's feeling better and is back to his old self :)

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just goes to show that even the best quality food doesn't suit every cat. So glad Matt's feeling better and is back to his old self
Yes, I agree, I think as long as it's wet it's better than dry for cats. I am thrilled to hear that Matt is feeling better!!!!!!!  Yey!!   
Give him a big hug & kiss from me!! 

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Yes, I agree, I think as long as it's wet it's better than dry for cats. I am thrilled to hear that Matt is feeling better!!!!!!!  Yey!!   
Give him a big hug & kiss from me!! 
He gets lots of hugs and kisses :) :)

and the occasional positive re-inforcement for bad behavior I'm afraid to say....I realized as I did it this afternoon, he went to steal one of my cheese nips, and I scolded him, then gave him one
 Bad mommy