uti/constipation/litterbox - quick tip

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Passing on a quick tip to help cat guardians diagnose a uti, constipation, or other litterbox issues that a tech at my vet's office suggested: get a wifi motion activated security camera to monitor the litter box.

Prices can very but $30-$50 can get you a camera and SD-Card. Features I would recommend: sd-card storage, no requirement for a cloud subscription, night mode/vision, motion activation schedule, ability to rotate/pan the camera around, and record sound. Most will have these features. You'll also want an app to control it and not all apps are easy to use.

In my situation, my cat was showing borderline symptoms of a UTI -- she had a history of them -- and when I called the vet it was a bit borderline if it was worth the trip b/c I never saw her strain with my eyes, I just had some data suggesting she was going to the litter box more than normal and not producing but I didn't know what exactly she was doing. The camera showed very clearly that yeah we had a problem and that made the vet visit a lot easier on me, the cat, and the doc, because I had videos showing she was straining and we had caught the UTI before it became a large problem. She's all better now with the UTI.

I also learned that my cat likes to go down and "inspect" her litter boxes from time to time and those trips she's not attempting to go potty and that she really doesn't like it when I do the monthly deep cleaning of the litterbox b/c, I'm assuming, "her smells that she worked so hard to put in the box" are gone. Cat gonna be a cat :)

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat flap on the utility room so I can hear whenever my cats go in. Indy has her own box in her room but digs to China so I always hear her.

The only times I don't see them use the box is if they have an accident but the camera wouldn't be helpful there unless it was on their collar.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Using litter liners reduces or in some cases eliminates the need to scrub down the box. I use them simply because my mother did and it's just something you have to do. I do take the covers off and hose that part down outside with a pressure washer. I was told never use soap or detergents though because it can cause avoidance problems.

You could probably use a pressure washer on the bottom half as well. Only time I do that though is if I am traveling so it doesn't stink up the car.

I have had the litterboxes I use now for over 20 years. Never had to replace them.

Like clockwork within 30 mins of scooping there's usually a big stinky turd in the box. I swear they hold it until I clean the box.

Last edited: