UTI Concerns

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Stress can cause uti. I have never heard of food causing it. Also litter box not regularly scooped and not getting enough water so canned food for the extra moisture and help the teeth. Males are more to uti and blockage/crystals. Another sign is cleaning his genitals a lot My cat had uti,went back for a recheck and she had struitive crystals. Glad you are keeping an eye on him.
Yes food can cause a UTI, my cat is living proof. She was 7 yrs old when she had her first one & that's because a year earlier my vet prescribed a fat cat diet. She was on RC Calorie Control. After she got the UTI, I really looked at the food. I contacted the company & it has high phosphorus & almost 25% DM carbs. It's crappy in other words. I changed her food & she hasn't had any issues, until tonight of course.....

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, unless the Vet went to college a few years longer than their peers to be a Holistic Veterinarian, they do not give the best advice or the best remedies! UTIs in cats and people are caused by the same thing. Dehydration. A properly hydrated cat will not get a UTI even under stress. Dry kibble is the cause of UTIs, IBS, Diabetes, obesity, early death due to kidney failure (one of the most common causes of early cat death)

It just amazes me how a Vet can say cats are obligate carnivores and prescribe dry kibble in the same sentence! These Obligate carnivores eat raw mice, rabbit and birds. You do not see them sitting around a fire roasting mice, birds or rabbits on sticks. You don't see them chasing herds of highly processed baked goods in the wild. No cat should be fed dry kibble. Ever. You wouldn't feed a child McDonald's everyday but that's what people are doing to cats by feeding them dry kibble. You can treat a cats UTI holistically without the cost of a Vet visit or harmful antibiotics that take twice as long to provide relief. ORGANIC RAW APPLE CIDER VINEGAR. It must be RAW! Dilute 1/4 tsp with 1 tsp water or even better 1 tsp Tuna juice then mix in your cats wet food 3x a day. You will notice a significant decrease in symptoms within 24 hours or less! But you must continue the Raw Apple Cider Vinegar regimen for 5 days. NOTE-This works for UTI even with bloody urine. If your cat has zero urine coming out then it is a veterinarian emergency!

Catinfo.org
Please read the plethora of info on this site written by a renowned holistic Veterinarian.

Are you a vet? Do you do phone consults? My cat is having symptoms after all these years. I did the ACV & I also gave her about 1/8 t of d-mannose. I guess I should start putting that in the food every day. Since it's night & the vet is closed, I don't know what I can give my cat to help alleviate some of her pain/symptoms. Hopefully the ACV will kick in soon, I feel so bad for her. :(

And I just read about fish based food. I give all my cats a can of Weruva fish food once a week. Now I'm wondering if that's too much.

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you do phone consults? My cat is having symptoms after all these years. I did the ACV & I also gave her about 1/8 t of d-mannose. I guess I should start putting that in the food every day. Since it's night & the vet is closed, I don't know what I can give my cat to help alleviate some of her pain/symptoms. Hopefully the ACV will kick in soon, I feel so bad for her. :(
Since I rescued my cat 3 months old,now 8 she has been on high quality wet food. I would never ever feed her dry. I strongly believe her crystals were caused by stress. I live with her so I am aware that she was stressed

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes food can cause a UTI, my cat is living proof. She was 7 yrs old when she had her first one & that's because a year earlier my vet prescribed a fat cat diet. She was on RC Calorie Control. After she got the UTI, I really looked at the food. I contacted the company & it has high phosphorus & almost 25% DM carbs. It's crappy in other words. I changed her food & she hasn't had any issues, until tonight of course.....
I forgot she was feeding dry,so ya I agree with you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I forgot she was feeding dry,so ya I agree with you
if you're talking about me, they eat wet & dry, not just dry.

They were on Acana but I've done some research and have learned apparently the brand has been going down hill. When I was feeding them nutro dry, he was fine.

They eat Tiki/Instinct for wet food, but I'm thinking I'm going to just switch completely to Tiki for wet food from now on.

Not sure what urinary food I'll be able to feed them, it's all REALLY expensive in the wet food variety x.x

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
As much as I hate to do it, I'm thinking I'm going to have to give him the Hills c/d. Gonna try and swing the wet food - but all of it seems so expensive that it just kind of blows my mind. If I get the dry (which I kind of want to just for them to chomp on for their teeth) then I can mix it with the Tiki (which they are getting whether they like it or not.)

I was super worried about that too! I'll try to cuddle him but he's kind of pissed at the moment over the 2 shots XD He has not forgiven anyone yet
Since my cat no longer has crystals, I feed her Tiki After Dark and mix in purina ur because the struitive crystals can come back she gets a recheck every 6 months. I also have 2 water bowls and fountains scattered around

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Meat by products are what a cat in the wild eats:kidneys,spleen,heart,etc so they are ok for a cat to eat. Not what I would eat but my cats would be licking her mouth and purring. Yummy!

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Last month, I noticed Jasper had bloody urine. We of course rushed him to the vet where he was treated for a UTI.

The vet sold us a bag of the hills urinary food and we gave that to him until we ran out and eased him back into eating Acana for dry food and instinct/tiki for wet. The vet had said that most likely it was the food that caused the UTI and I assumed that it was due to the fancy feast I had given him when I hadn't been able to get to the store to give him his normal food.

Now I'm noticing him going in the box, squatting to pee and not peeing.

His stomach is soft, he doesn't yelp or seem like he's in discomfort when I prod him. He's eating and drinking water and very playful still. He's his usual self if not a bit more affectionate (but I think that's because we're in a hotel room and not at home.) No blood in his urine like last time either.

Could he really have a UTI again so soon after having one??

Because of the hurricane we're in a hotel, so things around him HAVE changed. I just don't know if stress would cause this weird litter box fixation
Btw_ after I took my cat off the cd her crystals are back and she has ckd. Recheck in 3 months. Beginning stages of Renal failure. Could be coincidence that it happened after taking her off prescription food, or not. She is only 8. I'm going to believe it's genetics

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Btw_ after I took my cat off the cd her crystals are back and she has ckd. Recheck in 3 months. Beginning stages of Renal failure. Could be coincidence that it happened after taking her off prescription food, or not. She is only 8. I'm going to believe it's genetics
I'll be staying on top of it. Someone suggested that his secondary UTI might have also been stress related - since he got it almost directly after the hurricane + the 6 hour car ride to get to the hotel we evacuated to + being IN a small hotel room with the other cats, 3 people and 3 dogs. So far since being home he's been on a wet food diet consisting of a can of merricks with a can of tiki after dark poured over it. He gets wellness kittles as treats once in awhile - and the wet tiki squeeze treats. He does, however, bother me for dry food. I can't afford to put can after can after can down for him and the others, so he's been finishing the bag of Hills Urinary & Coat (i think it is) dry we had bought because we couldn't afford the C/D at the time.

He eats about 1 cup a dry food a day (not even actually since the cats share it together) and then they leave me alone regarding the food.

I'm thinking of buying a bag of Tiki Chicken & Egg dry food, but I've been having trouble getting feedback on if that's safe for him to have. I can't keep burying the hills, because Sammy is gaining weight on it.

Jasper seemed to be fine on the Tiki dry before, and Sammy had been losing weight when we'd been feeding them that with their wet food but when the store sold out we shifted to try Acana and that seems to be where the problem started. So I honestly don't know if it's acana or not since both times he had the UTI, he was eating the Acana and both times the vet (two different vets) said it was food related.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll be staying on top of it. Someone suggested that his secondary UTI might have also been stress related - since he got it almost directly after the hurricane + the 6 hour car ride to get to the hotel we evacuated to + being IN a small hotel room with the other cats, 3 people and 3 dogs. So far since being home he's been on a wet food diet consisting of a can of merricks with a can of tiki after dark poured over it. He gets wellness kittles as treats once in awhile - and the wet tiki squeeze treats. He does, however, bother me for dry food. I can't afford to put can after can after can down for him and the others, so he's been finishing the bag of Hills Urinary & Coat (i think it is) dry we had bought because we couldn't afford the C/D at the time.

He eats about 1 cup a dry food a day (not even actually since the cats share it together) and then they leave me alone regarding the food.

I'm thinking of buying a bag of Tiki Chicken & Egg dry food, but I've been having trouble getting feedback on if that's safe for him to have. I can't keep burying the hills, because Sammy is gaining weight on it.

Jasper seemed to be fine on the Tiki dry before, and Sammy had been losing weight when we'd been feeding them that with their wet food but when the store sold out we shifted to try Acana and that seems to be where the problem started. So I honestly don't know if it's acana or not since both times he had the UTI, he was eating the Acana and both times the vet (two different vets) said it was food related.
Since I rescued her 3 months old, she has always been on high quality wet food so I don't get why this happened though ckd is not the same as crystals this

bluetiger117

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have to agree with maggie101 maggie101 if he's squatting and no pee he does need to see a vet ASAP. I know it's difficult for you right now but it sounds like he might be blocking so I'd take him to a vet near you if possible.
UTI nightmare.
One of our cats had difficulty getting comfortable one night. Hmm that seems odd. maybe we should get him checked out tomorrow. THAT WAS HUGE MISTAKE. We got an early appointment and dropped him off. Vet said get back here asap. He said cat should be dead. Hever had he seen a bladder so expanded, Vet said he should be dead. Also said that kidney damage was also a possibility. BTW he was a dry food eater and water drinker. Vet said he needs to be on a prescription uti cat food but he said he can't get any due to the supply chain garbage. So what the hell do we do. Well vet said the reoccurrence rate is very high and euthanasia was an option. My wife and myself were so upset, She didn't want him to suffer and so we opted to put him down. Well come to find out later, there was alot of non prescription uti food not found at supermarkets but at pet food stores. Well SOB. We could have given him a second chance Damit. Vet didn't know this? We were so unaware of this illness in cats. Male indoor neutered cat are very prone to this. We simply didn't know. To be fair, our vet always said he likes to see cats on wet food only but never informed us as to why. We tried but he never liked it. Had we reacted differently we could have had a different outcome by going to emergency immediately. He was only 6 years old and his first illness. I'm still very pissed at this. Apon researching, this it's so common. Dry cat food should be outlawed. or have a prominent warning on the potential of uti illness. It is so painful for my wife, myself, and his buddy a main coon who missis his playmate so much. Our main coon is now on Purina pro plan uti food just to be cautious. He has never drunk a drop of water since we found him under a car. Would have been nice to see at the vets office some sort sort of warning poster about this. There is all sorts of warning posters for dogs for this or that. I'm completely pissed off at this.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
UTI nightmare.
One of our cats had difficulty getting comfortable one night. Hmm that seems odd. maybe we should get him checked out tomorrow. THAT WAS HUGE MISTAKE. We got an early appointment and dropped him off. Vet said get back here asap. He said cat should be dead. Hever had he seen a bladder so expanded, Vet said he should be dead. Also said that kidney damage was also a possibility. BTW he was a dry food eater and water drinker. Vet said he needs to be on a prescription uti cat food but he said he can't get any due to the supply chain garbage. So what the hell do we do. Well vet said the reoccurrence rate is very high and euthanasia was an option. My wife and myself were so upset, She didn't want him to suffer and so we opted to put him down. Well come to find out later, there was alot of non prescription uti food not found at supermarkets but at pet food stores. Well SOB. We could have given him a second chance Damit. Vet didn't know this? We were so unaware of this illness in cats. Male indoor neutered cat are very prone to this. We simply didn't know. To be fair, our vet always said he likes to see cats on wet food only but never informed us as to why. We tried but he never liked it. Had we reacted differently we could have had a different outcome by going to emergency immediately. He was only 6 years old and his first illness. I'm still very pissed at this. Apon researching, this it's so common. Dry cat food should be outlawed. or have a prominent warning on the potential of uti illness. It is so painful for my wife, myself, and his buddy a main coon who missis his playmate so much. Our main coon is now on Purina pro plan uti food just to be cautious. He has never drunk a drop of water since we found him under a car. Would have been nice to see at the vets office some sort sort of warning poster about this. There is all sorts of warning posters for dogs for this or that. I'm completely pissed off at this.
I am so sorry. I will say if he was that far gone he may not have been able to be saved. I stayed one night with a gravely ill cat that came in blocked and comatose. He was unblocked and aggressive fluid therapy started. He died a horrible death and I wouldn’t wish that on anyone. So maybe your vet knew he was to far gone. The cat I speak of was unresponsive with a temp of 93f

bluetiger117

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't really don't give a _____anymore. Skittles, our uti cat died eating Abound dry cat food. It not booshwah cat food nor is it super cheap. So lets see here, What's more important is to sell the consumer a convenient, less messy to feed your cat, cause if you don't sell this dry crap the competition will kick your ass. My wife and I have had cats for around 30 years and we've had misfortunes due to CKD, coyotes. Now our cats are permanently indoor. We are not cat experts by any means but were not beginners either. I blame our selves for not reacting the way we should of instead of and getting him to emergency which would have been very easy for us. We just had no idea but we knew something was wrong. Litter box is out of our view on enclosed protected catio. so we didn't no his peeing habits really because we have another cat. So who's pee? Unless you video tape the litter box 24/7. We just feel so damn bad about this and blame ourself. We own it, we goofed but not so fast. Poor little guy was bursting from pressure and we did nothing. Should have gone to emergency but again we didn't know how serious it was. So under no circumstances should this dry crap be sold without a PROMINENT WARNING LABLE that should indicate as follows. NOT A PRIMARY FOOD, USE AS A TREAT ONLY. if anything at all. So gamble on convenient less messy cat food and be prepared for a expensive heart breaking tragedy. Not exactly just fine with this as you can tell. If we can't TRUST the pet food industry for safe food. We're suppose to believe they have our trust in there product. Oh well I guess they have no idea this is going on. BS. Enjoy the money I paid for the death of our cat. Great Job. Another factor in this is summer time. We live in a very hot Southern California area. Skittles love to bake on our catio. I new it was too hot but he would cry and cry to let him on catio. He just became dehydrated but was a water drinker. Not a huge water drinker but still drank water. Well its coming on just about a year now since he passed. The passage of time is NOT healing our grief very much. I'm just going say it. Dry food for cats is not poison but you are gambling with it. My advise if you have an male indoor nurtured cat, start with a uti cat food in the beginning or ween them off the dry stuff unless its uti dry food if it won't eat wet. Bottom line here is, SHOULD A COMSUMER BE SKEPTIBLE OF REPERABLE PET FOOD MAKERS? well Skittles is dead so he can't complain. Why should we expect big money pet food makers to have our trust in there product. You can't tell me that they have no idea about this uti problem with dry cat food. Its all about a buck. Why kill your own consumers knowingly? Very compassionate aren't they?

bluetiger117

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the reply. Our cat skittles never made a sound. So IF your kitty seems like he or she can't get comfortable. OVER REACT. get that kitty to emergency ASAP. Get that puss on WET FOOD. not the supermarket dry crap if you can. This whole event has changed our resident cats personality to more distant to us. No more slobbering kisses anymore. no lap time anymore. Just depressed. He a big ol main coon mix. Do as much as possible to not be in the situation We're in. Time will heal us.