UTI and Blockage - Advice for how to prevent in the future

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

My male cat, Spartacus, age 5, had a blockage yesterday and is at the hospital until at least Saturday morning. It most likely was due to a UTI and swelling. They are going to analyze the bacteria in hopes we can figure out what caused it and where it came from. No crystals or stones. He has a cat fountain. Eats wet and dry. I've been told he most likely won't need the urinary track food unless there is a re-occurrence.

Any advice on food/water or what I can do when he gets home to help him? I'm not willing to do raw food but will consider increasing his amount of wet. I would still like some dry in his diet because I like the security of knowing if something happens to me while I'm out, the machine will drop some dry, so my cats won't starve.

I'm afraid I wasn't cleaning the fountain often enough and am considering buying a new one that is easier to clean so that I can stay on top of it better.

We have another cat in the house in case that changes anyone's advice. They're bonded littermates.

I'd love some thoughts on this or if anyone has gone through a similar situation and had success at preventing a re-occurrence. They told me 50% of male cats get a blockage again and if that happens he would need surgery to increase the size of his urethra.

Thank you! -TNBSP

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
I'm not recommending in that sense, but I've found this one to be easier to clean than some;
PIONEER PET Swan Cat Drinking Fountain, White - Chewy.com

Also, maybe get a couple that they like, have one clean and ready to go, and you can then swap out the dirty one with the fresh one and have a little more time to get the dirty one cleaned up.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Search Results for Query: D mannose

Threads discussing products like D Mannose which will help to prevent UTIs. Discuss this with your vet to be sure it is safe for Spartacus. These products will only help to prevent, not cure, so they are not a substitute for vet care.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
To expound on the above comments on D-Mannose - Feeby had recurring UTIs and the urine cultures consistently identified e-coli bacteria. Rather than put her on what the vets call 'pulse therapy antibiotics' (intermittent regimes without regard to urinalysis testing) I decided to go with pure D-Mannose. Knock on wood, but she has been UTI-free since then. The D-Mannose is supposed to 'absorb' e-coli found in the bladder lining and help remove it through urination. But, there a number of folks on this site that also use it for overall, general bladder health.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Switch to all canned food. Also, make sure to keep the litterbox clean and if your cat has loose bowel movements wipe with a damp tissue or toilet paper. Towards the tail.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Feed only canned food with extra water added. It doesn't have to be soupy unless your cat likes that. Prescription or urinary specific canned foods are not needed at all.

Canned food can be left out all day in a programmable timed feeder. It's a cooked product so it is fine to keep at room temperature. You may need two feeders so each cat can have their own meals.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed my cats wet food 2 times a day and I add extra water to it. My parents and my brother both had to get the surgery on their male cats so I am trying to prevent that at all costs. Mine get dry food maybe once a week and it’s limited to half a cup for 3 of them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks again, everybody! He is back home and doing well. He's on a bunch of meds, and of course, he was prescribed the Hills science urinary food - I might get some of their cans to start, and then hopefully I can get him off that using your tips.

What do vets generally say about d-mannose? I will ask mine about it this week. It seems like a nice option

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What do vets generally say about d-mannose?
When I countered my vet's pulse therapy proposal with trying the D-Mannose, he thought it would be a good idea. His only comment was to get pure D-Mannose as opposed to others that in his mind have unnecessary fillers.

He then gave me a guideline to use for the dosage - up to 500mg. I use Wellness UTI Pets 100% Pure D-Mannose. The dosage is 1/4 tsp. I used to give it to her daily, now after many, many months, I just give her a dose a couple times a week.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This is anecdotal, not specific advice for you. Two GSDs ago, I had a dog with paralysis whose bladder was not working. He had to be expressed. By rights, he should have had endless UTIs, but his vet recommended D Mannose and he never had one, despite wearing belly bands and having to be expressed.

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey Everyone! I'm back. I have a few questions -

Spartacus keeps going to the box and trying to pee. He has dribbles and small amounts that are coming out. He just goes so often that sometimes it's hard to tell. The vet told me that as long as it adds up to a normal amount it should be fine.... anyone experience this? How long does this last?

He also had diarrhea in the box. Could be normal?

He is on antibiotics, a pain killer, and another drug for the swelling of his penis.

I plan to check in with the vet soon, but as it is Sunday I still have to check with the emergency vet, not our regular one, and they can be very rushed on the phone.

I have Spartacus in his own room, away from our other cat, so that I can monitor better how much he is peeing, drinking, and eating.

Thank you!

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would def call the vet as soon as you can. My parents cat kept getting reblocked several times during the initial week he had the problems before he ended up with the surgery.

The vet said he had the smallest penis he’d ever seen (poor cat, give him a complex so young!). I don’t want to scare you but blockages are not something you want to mess with.

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would def call the vet as soon as you can. My parents cat kept getting reblocked several times during the initial week he had the problems before he ended up with the surgery.

The vet said he had the smallest penis he’d ever seen (poor cat, give him a complex so young!). I don’t want to scare you but blockages are not something you want to mess with.
Thanks for your message. I just spoke to the vet on call and she said we have to wait until his inflammation goes down (his penis is inflamed) before we know if it’s a problem or not, i guess because he is at least producing pee they aren’t too concerned yet? They also told me he had a weird shaped penis, so that is interesting to know about your parents’ cat.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m glad you spoke to the vet. Fingers crossed for your guy!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The antibiotics could cause diarrhea, but on the opposite end of the spectrum a lot of pain killers can cause constipation. As far as the anti-inflammatory, the vet is probably right in that it might take a couple of days to make a difference. Just do what you are doing with monitoring him closely. I hope you start to see some positive results soon. And do not hesitate to 'be the squeaky wheel' in your vet's ear as soon as you can get a hold of them!!!