UTI After PU Surgery

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi All. My cat hat PU surgery and we went a year without any problems. Then just over a a month ago he got a UTI and had bloody urine. 10 Days of Clavamox and he was better.

Just today I noticed blood in his urine again and went to get more antibiotics. I’m worried because he’s gone less than a month with another infection.

He doesn’t use regular kitty litter, he uses a puppy pad in a litter box. Wierd bu tit makes it easy to see if he pees and how much.

I just hope the blood doesn’t clot in his bladder and block him again?

Anyone else had experience with PU surgery and UTI’s or suggestions for avoiding.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Do you have multiple water bowls, cleaned daily with fresh water and maybe also a pet fountain?

Is he getting canned food?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Did you do a search on this site for previous post-PU surgery issues to see if anyone else has had a similar issue? If you find some that might be similar, you could even PM the members directly to discuss particulars. I know I have read that some members think UTIs are easier to get due to the shorten urethra, so maybe these folks will have some 'tricks' up their sleeves on how to try to avoid them.

Also, another member some time back suggested this support group as a good resource as well: Support Group for Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease | Facebook

At least my response will 'bump up' your post in the hopes more members see it and can offer some information to you!

CASH THE CAT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. I see this is a months ago, I hope your kitty is doing better. Yes my cat expenses UTIs at least every 2 to 3 years. He has crystals and gets blocked. I had to have him cathed to remove blockage and was given calvamox to treat infection.

Tips: PU surgery creates a new site. Normally right above the anus. Which is much easier for infection to occur since poop can infection the area. Mild soap and water and clean his rear every so often. Water wipes for babies is mild enough to cleanse and is convenient.

Water water water. Give that cat as much clean filtered water. Put it in the food if he tolerates it.

Good luck