Usually raw but need advice on good quality dry

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,

My two cats are nearly 5 years old and I've been feeding them mostly commercial frozen raw (Small Batch) since I adopted them at 6 months old. For the past year I've also been giving them some high quality canned wet too since it's been easier for me to stockpile that during the pandemic. But they both would eat anything - they are only picky for certain flavors (fish) rather than type. I give them dry freeze-dried treats too which they like.

Anyway, one of them has gotten out (they are exclusively indoor) and it's been nearly two weeks and I haven't been able to get her back inside. She is very fearful and skittish. It's getting too hot to leave out wet food for her so I need to get some dry.

What are some really good quality dry foods that your cats like? Thank you!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We had a difficult time getting our cat to eat wet food when we adopted him so we tried many different dry foods instead. There were only two he would eat, one was Fromm Gamebird Recipe and the other was by Lotus, a chicken flavor. He will only eat chicken or turkey. Since then I have gradually transitioned him to wet but still offer dry as a snack and stuck with the Fromm because it's his favorite. .

I thought this site would have some very helpful and unbiased information for you:
CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

Best of luck finding your lost kitty. :hugs: Sending special thoughts and I will keep my fingers crossed for you.:crossfingers::crossfingers:

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My boy isn't too picky but he LOVES Dr. Elsey's chicken dry food. He ate any kibble I gave him before but he was super enthusiastic about this one. To the point where I use these as treats, since he doesn't really care for any treats I've tried. I feel good about the ingredients, and it's easy to buy online. The denser calorie/oz means it doesn't cost as much as it seems from a dollar amount.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My boy isn't too picky but he LOVES Dr. Elsey's chicken dry food. He ate any kibble I gave him before but he was super enthusiastic about this one. To the point where I use these as treats, since he doesn't really care for any treats I've tried. I feel good about the ingredients, and it's easy to buy online. The denser calorie/oz means it doesn't cost as much as it seems from a dollar amount.
I've noticed that Chewy had been out of Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein for the last month or so.... Is it available online elsewhere?

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've noticed that Chewy had been out of Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein for the last month or so.... Is it available online elsewhere?
They had a shortage issue but the website said they have started resuming shipment to chewy and amazon, with amazon starting to sell some. I manage to get mine from Amazon about a week ago.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's a notice about the shortage on the Dr. Elsey's web site and an option to receive notification when the food is available: Dr. Elsey’s cleanprotein™ Cat Food – feed protein, not plants

The web site also has a list of online retailers and local stores that sell the food. Stock may be limited at those places, too. Shop Online and Find Dr. Elsey’s in Local Stores | Dr. Elsey's

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your problem may not be leaving the right food out. I know you're worried about your kitty and rightfully so. I remember when I took our cat Belle outside for a walk in a harness without properly training her first. She wriggled out of the harness as soon as I set her down and she bolted. I was frantic. It was the first time she'd been out of the house since we took her in.

Being frantic didn't help. Belle could see I was stressed and that stressed her. She was skittish and fearful. Be calm and soften your face. Maybe sit outside in a comfortable chair and read a book. When your cat sees you're not worried, she'll become less fearful.

Of course, setting out her favorite food doesn't hurt :)

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If all you need is some dry food to leave out for her until she comes home, it can be a small bag of almost anything.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks all. I ended up buying a bag of First Mate. She’d eaten it before from a sample I’d given as treats. We took the trap away and last night I had nearly 100 pictures and videos of her on the “kitty cam”. It took her nearly two hours to eat about 1/4 cup of dry food placed near our back door. First she’d grab a piece and run off with it and then she finally settled in and ate the rest. She looked inside through the open door but isn’t ready to come in yet. She is extremely fearful. For those who haven’t had an anxious and fearful cat it’s probably hard to understand. Anyway thanks again for all the help!