Using prescription food with no prescription

zookapook93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,
I have a very high-stress cat who recently got a stress-induced FLUTD. I've switched him to a wet-food-only diet and am buying him only foods good for urinary care, which is pricey! I'm trying to take advantage of as many freebies as I can. I was offered 24 cans of Hill's prescription diet for digestive care for free. I was thinking of switching off this and the urinary care diet (also Hill's) so I could feed the urinary diet in the am and the other food, maybe mixed with Friskies pate (the food I used to feed him) in the pm, just to make the food I have last longer. But I'm wondering, is it bad to feed my cat a prescription diet for digestive problems when he doesn't have any GI concerns?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If your cat has stress-induced FLUTD (and no issues with crystals/stones or urine PH level) there is less of a need for urinary care foods specifically - as said above. Just a lot of moisture - through canned foods and water drinking, which most all cats, FLUTD or not, could use. I haven't used any digestive care foods, but aren't they almost as expensive as the urinary care ones - so once you go through the free cans, are you contemplating not feeding it to him after that? I guess if they are free and you intend to mix it with other canned foods, there probably is no reason not to.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Also note that there's a difference between actual prescription food (one that a prescription is actually needed to purchase) and prescription-like foods, labeled with words like "science diet", "veterinary diet" or "*insert body part here* care".
Prescription foods usually contain ingredients that cannot be sold to the general public without veterinary approval, or ingredients in concentrations higher than allowed by non-prescription food standards. Non-prescription foods, or prescription-like foods have ingredients tailored towards a specific need, in concentrations allowed by law. In fact, many regular pet foods could be renamed "protein care", "digestive health" etc without changing a single ingredient.