Using Peppermint Oil To Repel Insects Is it Safe For Cats

charking

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 cats one of which like the smell of my peppermint tea, he even went so far as trying to lick the wrapper of the STASH TEA bag.

In the last week I have been invaded with Spiders, not exactly invaded, but I have had more than 7 in the last few days... I was told to use a few drops of Peppermint Oil in about a cup of water and a few drops of Dawn dish washing detergent. So then I read where it might be dangerous to cats, or at least make them sick. I am not putting any on the cats, just spraying along the sofa and behind the sofa and stereo cabinet etc.  Is Peppermint Extract the same as Peppermint Oil?   Since it will only be on fabric and on the rug will it be safe?
We have not seen any poisonous spiders but I am highly allergic and the last bite I had to get medical treatment.

So before I spray the furniture along the threshold of the patio door and the patio curtain and all I thought I better make sure it will not make him/them sick.    I do want to get rid of the spiders but I do not want to get rid of the ants. 

So I also have to be careful that I am not using poison. I know the Peppermint will affect the spiders via their legs but I think it will only repel the ants.

I use ants in my research on EQ. Prediction.  They are one if not the best precursor's via their behavior of any insect.  I have been studying them for over 30 years. 

Spiders go out of their way to fall or crawl on me.

Thanks for any advice. 

Charlotte King

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
All I could find on this topic was this quote from the ASPCA:

"Peppermint Oil

If ingested, the peppermint plant and its oil could indeed potentially cause harm to your cat. Cats are especially sensitive to peppermint oil, and effects such as gastrointestinal upset, central nervous system depression and even liver damage could occur if ingested in significant quantities. Some peppermint oil formulations also contain aspirin derivatives, which could result in additional toxicity. Furthermore, if inhalation of the volatile oil were to occur, aspiration pneumonia may be possible. Based on this, we would not recommend using peppermint leaves or oil in areas where your cat is allowed access."

So, based on that, I would say to use your own discretion

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charking

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am thinking based on what you said if I am only top of inside of drapes,  spraying furniture and rugs and bottom of sofa ceilings corners etc

It would be ok, also since they are not ingesting it and it will be dry by the time they come in from outside it should be safe

I will call my vets office and ask them just to be sure,  thanks so much

Charlotte

samus

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you're spraying it directly on the spiders, just soapy water should take care of them. If the cats inhale the peppermint oil, their liver still has to process it and cat livers aren't very good at processing stuff like that. Exposure a couple of times probably won't hurt them too much, especially if it's had time to dissipate a bit, but if you use it constantly they could develop liver problems over time. If it's places the cat's can't get to (tops of drapes, behind couches if the cats aren't ninjas), their exposure will probably be pretty minimal. If it's rugs/sofas they take naps on, I'd avoid using it there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charking

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks the vet said pretty much what you told me.  He said if the oil spray is not where they can ingest it and its dry by the time they are around it, it should be fine but be sure they don't lick it when its wet.

I appreciate all your help and the responses of the group.

Slept on the sofa last night and woke with spider bite on my neck.. so they are still around.

Charlotte