Using liquid marshmallow root

Calori3e

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a seven year old female spayed cat (Mama Meatball) that has some uti issues. I wanted to use liquid marshmallow root but was not sure about dosage. My plan was to put it in her wet food to mask the taste and have it be enjoyable.
Does anyone have an idea of how many drops/what do use for a dosage when it’s in liquid form?
Thanks!

Jean Howard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! If you're looking to try any herb with Mama Meatball - cutest name ever - definitely consult your veterinarian first to figure out a safe dosage! They should be able to help you find out where to start and when/how to increase.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't know anything about liquid marshmallow root, although I do give my guys a digestive aid with it as an ingredient. Sorry, I can't even find anything at all on the internet about strictly liquid marmallow root for pets. I did, however, find this thread about it in powder form that you might find helpful:

Question about marshmallow root

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! I don’t know anything about marshmallow root, but the name Mama Meatball is ADORABLE!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there! Thank you for the mention, FeebysOwner - I always want to be of help however I can. As mentioned previously, one should always consult their vet about using any herbs or supplements on their own pets since their vet knows the patient's medical profile. For me, personally, if I am syringing a decoction, I give a teaspoon (1mL) for the initial dose; if adding to wet food, I put 2-3 teaspoons per 5.5 oz can. With UTI or diarrhea or oral (mouth sores, stomatitis), I don't use commercially prepared tinctures because of the alcohol used as a preservative unless there is no other option ( I feel it's better to use a tincture than nothing). The mucilage in marshmallow root can prevent absorption of antibiotics & other modern medicine so I try to separate those by 4-6 hours. I also encourage the people to sample the preparation so that they are familiar with the taste & feel of the herbal preparation, unless they are on certain medications such as ACE inhibitors, diabetes meds, etc.

And "Mama Meatball" is a precious name! **swoon emoji**

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Calori3e

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much. I’ve been adding one teaspoon per half can of wet food, feeding half a can in the morning and the over half at night. She really seems to enjoy it and doesn’t mind the taste. I’ll keep you posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Calori3e

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! Thank you for the mention, FeebysOwner - I always want to be of help however I can. As mentioned previously, one should always consult their vet about using any herbs or supplements on their own pets since their vet knows the patient's medical profile. For me, personally, if I am syringing a decoction, I give a teaspoon (1mL) for the initial dose; if adding to wet food, I put 2-3 teaspoons per 5.5 oz can. With UTI or diarrhea or oral (mouth sores, stomatitis), I don't use commercially prepared tinctures because of the alcohol used as a preservative unless there is no other option ( I feel it's better to use a tincture than nothing). The mucilage in marshmallow root can prevent absorption of antibiotics & other modern medicine so I try to separate those by 4-6 hours. I also encourage the people to sample the preparation so that they are familiar with the taste & feel of the herbal preparation, unless they are on certain medications such as ACE inhibitors, diabetes meds, etc.

And "Mama Meatball" is a precious name! **swoon emoji**
I appreciate your insight! I’ve heard of marshmallow root being a good for UTI’s (similar to slippery root). So far so good I think!