Using eggshell or MCHA (calcium hydroxyapatite) to balance meat or meat & organs

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We need to have something like just the very first post of this specific thread in a Resources Thread, kind of separate from the original Raw Resources Thread that AC made up...know what I mean.  This particular thread will eventually get lost.  Remember we started up a Raw Diet Transitioners Social Group?  Maybe we need to start adding important things like this, and a list of what you need (scales, probiotics, digestive enzymes, plastic placemats, etc.)  Places to get food (Hare-Today, etc)

What do you guys think?  It would really be nice if these "need to know" threads were some where easily found, don't you think?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah - and I think the easiest way to do it is to edit the Raw Feeding Resources thread, actually. A mod will have to do it, but there are a few links to threads I'd like to include, and links to other sites as well. In fact, maybe I should just start a thread about updating the raw resources thread, and creating a home-cooked resources thread.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nothing, really, if you're using a human grade supplement. The problem is in pet grade bone meal.

The potential issue with bone meal is that it's made from older cows. A number of years ago, lead was found in even human grade stuff. The concern is that toxins accumulate in the bones/marrow of factory fed cows. I've also seen discussion of potential problems with the accumulation of flouride in bone - thus in bone meal.

I don't know that these same problems wouldn't exist with MCHA - but it's from young cows, not older ones, raised in NZ.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I've heard that. Hopefully, now that leaded gas isn't a thing anymore, the lead shouldn't accumulate so easily. Not sure about fluoride---I guess they would use municipal water supplies, wouldn't they? :/

I just wondered because it's literally NEVER mentioned :lol3:.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Holy mathematics, people! 

Why do I keep reading that eggshell is a better option for cats prone to constipation? Is this true?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Where have you seen that? Funny you bring this up. In another discussion of bone vs alternatives, I believe Furmonster Mom brought up the issue of magnesium. The main minerals in bone are calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium.

Eggshell has trace amounts of phosphorus, and a slighlly lower relative percent of magnesium than bone.

I dont know if you've ever taken calcium or magnesium supplements, but calcium is constipating and magnesium ... isn't. ;)

I have a kitty that gets easily constipated since switching to raw. The problem is more of an issue when we use the MCHA. This is counter-intuitive to me, because of the lower magnesium relative to calcium in eggshell. :dk:

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would it have to do with the types of calcium salts?

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where have you seen that? Funny you bring this up. In another discussion of bone vs alternatives, I believe Furmonster Mom brought up the issue of magnesium. The main minerals in bone are calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium.

Eggshell has trace amounts of phosphorus, and a slighlly lower relative percent of magnesium than bone.

I dont know if you've ever taken calcium or magnesium supplements, but calcium is constipating and magnesium ... isn't.

I have a kitty that gets easily constipated since switching to raw. The problem is more of an issue when we use the MCHA. This is counter-intuitive to me, because of the lower magnesium relative to calcium in eggshell.
Ugh...I didn't bookmark any of the links and now I can't find where I saw it. Sorry. But I know I read it somewhere! I came across it when I was researching raw and home cooked diets.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh...I didn't bookmark any of the links and now I can't find where I saw it. Sorry. But I know I read it somewhere! I came across it when I was researching raw and home cooked diets.
I see where RadCat kind of makes this claim when explaining why they use eggshells instead of raw bones.

aprilprey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wanted to add to this thread to say: using eggshells is so awesome!  I can't believe I waited this long to try it.  What is really cool is that the two eggs in Dr. Pierson's recipe provide more than enough eggshell powder for the recipe - wow - used the WHOLE EGG!

I was so excited, it was all I could do to hold myself back from picking the dozens of eggshells I just dumped into my compost - out so I could grind those too.

As an added bonus....we apparently have FOUR, count 'em, FOUR coffee grinders in the house.   How did THAT happen?

So I even had a nearly brand spanking new grinder to use to boot. 

Thanks LDG for all the work you put into this!

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey everyone, back to thinking about switching to egg shell because Ritz threw up bone this morning--an odd time for her to throw up; evening is her usual time, which is why I've switched to the morning to feed her red meat and bone.
I feed prey model raw, and am trying to do the math per LDG's calculations.
I feed around 3.2 oz of meat/protein and .36 oz of organs every day; I'd been feeding Ritz around .60 oz bone with meat three times a week.
By my calculations I would feed 3/32 teaspoons + 1/64 teaspoon a day of egg shell. Any easy way of doing a batch? I typically make up 11 to 14 daily meals at one time and freeze. I do have the neat teaspoons LDG linked to. And a coffee grinder.
Also, would cooking the egg first make any difference in calcium? I eat cooked egg whites for protein so it's a no brainer for me to feed her egg shell versus MCHA. I give Ritz about 1/3 cooked egg yolk a couple of times a week.
I'm reluctant to switch to egg shell because Ritz does love dem bone and I love hearing the crunch, and she has a problem with tarter/gingivitus (another dental cleaning next month), but I can't have her throwing up such an important component of raw feeding.
Thanks.

lcat4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Help please...I'm venturing into new territory here... I'm going to use Mschauer's newly posted raw turkey recipe with MCHA for my girls and am in the process of ordering supplies.  I decided I better check before hitting the order button.  I was about to order NOW Calcium Hydroxyapatite, 250mg, in capsule form.  Looking at the recipe for 5 pounds meat I need 44g of the MCHA.  Does that mean for one recipe I need 176 capsules?

Am I figuring wrong?  I know everyone's said MCHA is more expensive than eggshell, and I'm fine with that.  I'm picturing losing count amidst a sea of plastic capsules.

Thanks for any guidance!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately you have it right.

I would recommend emptying all the capsules into another container first then measure how much you need from that.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I read that @LDG grinds capsules and all in a clean, dedicated coffee grinder.  That might be easier than opening so many capsules.

lcat4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the quick responses and good tips!  I guess I'll be ordering more than one bottle at a time.

I think I'll try the emptying the capsules method first.  Sounds like a good project while watching a show on TV. 

lcat4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I thought I better clarify that they aren't actually plastic capsules - they are veggie capsules - they just look plastic.

I didn't want anyone using this as a future point of reference to be confused.