Using Chunks of Raw Meat Versus Ground

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So far all the raw food I've ever made was run through a meat grinder, ground finely and frozen. Now I took in an ill kitty and she refuses most all wet, just a lick or two, never enough for a meal. I even broke down and offered any dry food and still not enough for a meal. I was syringe feeding her and now she's better and recovering but still not eating much. I've tried human tuna, just about every flavor of wet cat food, cooked eggs, raw egg yolk, even cat treats, the only ones she'll eat are the Whiska Lickins ones. But today I chopped up a chicken thigh and plated it, she ate it all. So now I'm trying to figure how to make a raw food with chunks of meat instead of ground. Believe it or not, she dislikes anything fishy flavored or even scented. I was using Dr. Piersons recipe for ground food but now I'm trying to make a chunky food without the fish oil.  Any advice for me?

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How about using a pre-mix? TC Feline, Alnutrin and Better In The Raw are pre-mixes you can try. TC Feline contains krill as the source of fatty acids and Better In The Raw uses fish. Alnutrin doesn't have any fatty acids so it has to be supplemented. I'm not sure how you would do that if your cat doesn't like anything fishy.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I used to feed chunks, and would add Call of the wild, which even included what would be needed for organ meat, since my guy would throw up raw liver too. 

For fatty acids, if you're good at pilling, you could simply pill her Krill Oil capsules, since they're small.  Otherwise, not everyone gives fish oils (or fish) to their cats fed raw.  It's all in your preference.  I don't think everyone who tosses out mice or such tops them off with a dollop of salmon oil
(although I could be mistaken)

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you're feeding chunks, the rule still applies: 80% meat, 10% organs, 10% bone.

Feed meat chunks, chicken wings for bone, and liver and kidney for the organs. If the kitty ate the chunks, I would assume they will eat the chicken wing - just a hunch!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad to report that she is very well, she is eating canned food topped with meat chunks. Thank you all for the tips and advice.