Using Baby Gates For Interactions With New Kitten

donnae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Day 4 safe room. Major Tom Snickers has explored parts of the house while Capt. KitKat Jack is busy elsewhere. Jack has been fed all meals outside the saferoom door with a kitten scented blanket. Started using baby gates last night. Not sure what to make of this intetaction.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Looks like they're just playing to me. I didn't see any hissing or aggression. Just keep doing what your doing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

donnae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Looks like they're just playing to me. I didn't see any hissing or aggression. Just keep doing what your doing.
Thanks for your reply, but I thought Jack swiped that last time with claws in kitten Tom's chest, and Tom hissed, wasn't sure if it was intentional, play or what.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I watched it again. I didn't catch the hiss the first time. Jack is obviously wanting to play in my opinion. I couldn't really tell if his claws were out but they didn't appear to be. I wouldn't call what I seen a swipe. It appeared Jack was just pawing at Tom. But, the angle that he came up from and the position of the paw, his claw could have caught Tom in the chest. It didn't look intentional to me though. Tom may have thought it was though. I honestly don't see any problems here that time won't settle. I would just let them interact through the gate a while longer. If Jack get's rough just call his name a tell him "easy" in a firm voice.

donnae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks again

donnae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kitten, Major Tom has vet appt on Friday. We've done so much work with de-scentitizing, Capt. Jack, I'm worried about non- recognition aggression and wondering if I should take Jack with us to the vet appointment. Or, would that just get him to associate stress with the kitten? Any recommendations?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not take Jack with to the kittens vet visit. Better to have him deal with a vet scented kitten than be stressed from the visit himself.