Using a furminator brush

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My four year old cat Felix has some small mats on his flank near his tail. The vet commented on them when she gave him his rabies booster and suggested using a furminator brush to get them out. Before I buy one of these brushes, is there anything I should know about how they work? Am I right in thinking you trying combing through that mat like with a regular brush?

Also, he is short haired and only four years old so I am surprised he would get mats at all. He seems very healthy, but are there any health concerns I might want be on the lookout for?

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A furminator is not the tool to be used for mat removal. That would be painful. I would try to gently tease the mat apart with your fingers or the comb - don't cut it. Cats skin is very elastic and it is easy to cut them. Once you get the mats out, then use the furminator to remove loose hair. It works by removing the undercoat.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I use Hertzko Mat Removing Grooming Comb and have always been very happy with it. It is quite safe as well and I have never hurt a cat, even a squirmy one, with it.

Don't cut it, as was said, which is tricky and does not really remove the entire mat.

I have a Furminator and use it for general grooming but have never been overly impressed with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the clarification on the furminator brushes. I expect the vet was suggesting I use that to keep the mats from happening again, and I mistakenly thought it was to use to get the mats out. I do want to try to get the mats out at home if possible. What type of brushes/techniques would work best for this?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! How did things go? Were you able to work the mats out with your fingers? I've read that corn starch can help as it can promote separation of the strands, thanks to another post by posiepurrs posiepurrs :heartshape:

It depends on how bad the mats are - I can sometimes work them out of Poppycats fur with my fingers but not always...if all I'm doing is pulling his skin with whatever tool I'm using (comb, brush, slicker) then I typically consider other avenues such as having a groomer or vet help out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply.. No, I have not been able to get them out using my fingers. I may end up needing to have a groomer help, but before I try that, I am wondering about trying a comb that is labeled for dematting, assuming I can do it without pulling on the mat too much. I also wonder about the cornstarch method.