Uses For Ricotta(ish) Cheese?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our family doesn't really drink that much milk, and for some weird reason, it's usually cheaper to buy it by the gallon than in smaller containers. So sometimes if I'm pressed for time and need to use up a whole bunch of milk all at once, it's just easier to whip up a quick batch of something vaguely resembling ricotta or farmer's cheese just so the milk doesn't go to waste.

The problem is that I don't know what to do with it anymore, as our family has gotten tired of eating it with crackers, in lasagna, or in desserts.

Any ideas? I have about 3 cups of ricotta-ish cheese I need to use up within the next couple of days or so. :)

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Do you bake? You can make ricotta cookies. You can use ricotta in cheesecake. I have a recipe for a really good ricotta tart.

RICOTTA TART

2 eggs
1 cup ricotta cheese (I use part skim)
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded sharp cheddar (I use reduced-fat)
2 Tbsp. salsa
1/2 tsp. salt (I omit and use a bit of Italian seasoning)
1/2 tsp. pepper
Pastry for a single-crust 9-inch pie (Use Pillsbury, if you don't feel like making your own)

In a bowl, beat eggs. Add the cheeses, salsa, salt and pepper; mix well. Roll out pastry into a 12-inch circle on a foil-lined baking sheet. Spread with cheese mixture to within 1 inch of edge. Fold edge of pastry over the outer edge of filling.

Bake at 400 degrees for 22-26 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting into wedges. Refrigerate any leftovers. Makes 8-12 servings.

Note: I don’t use foil. I roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface, then put the pastry onto a baking stone. The tart slices well and doesn’t stick.

Throw some ricotta on your next homemade pizza.
Use it to stuff mushrooms
Use it in waffles and pancakes (you can google for some recipes.....check out allrecipes.com for some ideas)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awesome! Thanks for all the ideas, Winchester Winchester ! I'll definitely give that tart recipe a try. And thanks for the link. Hopefully that will help me find some much needed inspiration. :)

So far I've made cheesecakes, pound type cakes, lemon cookies, and lasagna. I've also tried adding it as a topping for spaghetti, adding it to skillet dinner type meals, casseroles, and drying the cheese out a bit to use in tossed and pasta salads. And when all else fails and no one else in the family will eat it, I use it as a spread on Triscuits for lunch for myself.

Of course, if the rest of the Cheesers would just help me use up all the milk each week, I wouldn't need to find so many uses for it, or the homemade ricotta. :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okily-dokily.

I didn't have any more pie crusts in the freezer, and was too lazy to make one today. So I made something that kinda passed for fettuccine alfredo.

"It's lumpy."

"It's supposed to look that way."

"Why?"

"Because I used an off-brand cheese." Like WAY off-brand. ;-)

But it got eaten, and that was the point. Now I need to make several batches of pie crusts and store them in the freezer so I can make the ricotta tarts and pizza rustica that y'all suggested.

Thanks again!