Users of Royal Canin Urinary SO Food for FLUTD - Warning, Recent Problems being reported, September

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no personal experience with this but when I was considering trying this for the FLUTD cat I have here, I came across this link.  People who have been using it successfully for years are suddenly having their cats get sick with intestinal problems.  There is no recall YET but be careful especially if buying new bags.  The problem seems to be mainly with the dry food.  Read the reports and make your own decisions.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/royal_canin.html

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is very worrying :eek:hno: Does anyone know if this is a worldwide issue, or if it's only affecting food from specific plants?

(I'm guessing there's no point in asking Royal Canin, as they're denying that the problem exists).

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hmmm, complaints don't seem to be only for S/O.  Seems like they also include foods for sensitive stomachs.  But MAINLY S/O for cats (and dogs too).  Not good. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is very worrying
Does anyone know if this is a worldwide issue, or if it's only affecting food from specific plants?

(I'm guessing there's no point in asking Royal Canin, as they're denying that the problem exists).
In the complaints I read (only back to the beginning of June) there was one from Portugal and another from "Europe" who said all the RC she ever bought was made in Europe, "but they seem to be having the same problems in the U.S."   I think reporting may be more U.S. because we know about the agency, but if anyone anywhere googles "complaints about ________" they will surely get this site as one of their results.

bdk103

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten is almost done with 2 cases (around 30 cans) of the stage one formula. Should I stop now? Been thinking about putting her on Something better.

desertstarlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My two cats were both on Urinary SO-33 until two years ago when they both started vomiting every time they ate the food. I returned the bag and got a different lot number and the same thing happened. I called the company and they said there was nothing wrong with the food. I took a chance and introduced regular food again. Both my cats have eaten Blue, Newmans and Merrick with absolutely no problems.

My senior cat no longer has urinary issues, (per vet), so luckily he does not have to eat an Rx diet, because I would NEVER feed him that awful food again. I do not trust Royal Canin!

desertstarlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

My two cats were both on Urinary SO-33 until two years ago when they both started vomiting every time they ate the food. I returned the bag and got a different lot number and the same thing happened. I called the company and they said there was nothing wrong with the food. I took a chance and introduced regular food again. Both my cats have eaten Blue, Newmans and Merrick with absolutely no problems.

My senior cat no longer has urinary issues, (per vet), so luckily he does not have to eat an Rx diet, because I would NEVER feed him that awful food again. I do not trust Royal Canin!
I just want to clarify, "My Senior cat no longer has issues with FLUTD" is what I meant. He does have CKD, but it is not treated with SO33. He does get low(er) phosphorous food, but not by Rx. - just didn't want anyone reading both threads that I posted in to think that I'm crazy. LOL.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In the complaints I read (only back to the beginning of June) there was one from Portugal and another from "Europe" who said all the RC she ever bought was made in Europe, "but they seem to be having the same problems in the U.S."   I think reporting may be more U.S. because we know about the agency, but if anyone anywhere googles "complaints about ________" they will surely get this site as one of their results.
Good to know. Thanks. I'll be talking to my vets to see if they can get any sense out of Royal Canin.