Used to be friends, now one cat is a bully

sara_feg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. I need some advice. I have had 2 cats since they were 5 weeks old (my foster fails, they’re not litter mates) and now they’re both 4. Earlier this year my cat, Merlin, got sick and was diagnosed with IBD. Axel, my other cat, started bullying Merlin, and the stress level was high in the household. After attempting behavior modification, calming pheromones, and medication without success, I was able to find a new home for Axel one month ago. Today I got a call that the lady that I rehomed Axel to was unable to keep him (not his fault). My sick kitty Merlin has improved physically during the time Axel has been gone. I took Axel back this evening and i have him confined to one room in hopes that I can successfully reintroduce them. I feel guilty though because Axel hates being alone. So he is crying, meowing, and scratching at the door in the room. I don’t want to rush things and create a stressful environment again, but I’m at a loss as far as what to do.
Any advice is appreciated!
These boys used to be friends and it’s changed in the past year. Is it possible to get things back to how they once were?

Sara

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I think, with as much as has occurred, whatever happens might be quite new and different, because both boys are a bit different now.

Axel is fine, he's with you, safe and sheltered. But hopefully he won't shred your carpet or door beyond repair.

In case you aren't familiar with this, it may have information for you;
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Over the last couple of years CBD oil has been gathering momentum for its therapeutic properties for both Cats and Dogs, in fact earlier this year the Feline Journal of Medicine and Surgery published the results of an investigational study which ran successful clinical trials based on effectiveness and safety.worth doing a little research and talking to your vet about. It’s something that’s advisable to buy directly from the manufacturers who have excellent transparency and not somewhere like Amazon. Here

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
in fact earlier this year the Feline Journal of Medicine and Surgery published the results of an investigational study which ran successful clinical trials based on effectiveness and safety.
It's worth noting that Idaho banned cbd and other hemp products for pets starting November 1st.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sara_feg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
I think, with as much as has occurred, whatever happens might be quite new and different, because both boys are a bit different now.

Axel is fine, he's with you, safe and sheltered. But hopefully he won't shred your carpet or door beyond repair.

In case you aren't familiar with this, it may have information for you;
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Thank you for your help! I’m hoping this will be a reset and my reintroduction over the next few weeks will work out. I plan to swap them each night so they both get used to each others scent again. Fingers crossed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sara_feg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Over the last couple of years CBD oil has been gathering momentum for its therapeutic properties for both Cats and Dogs, in fact earlier this year the Feline Journal of Medicine and Surgery published the results of an investigational study which ran successful clinical trials based on effectiveness and safety.worth doing a little research and talking to your vet about. It’s something that’s advisable to buy directly from the manufacturers who have excellent transparency and not somewhere like Amazon. Here
I have ordered some CBD for Axel. I’m trying to split my time between the two. Hopefully the CBD will also lessen the stress.