Used cat tree from thrift store

ms waise

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been holding out on getting carpeted cat trees or any type of cat tower until I figure out where I want to put it. While my mom was at the goodwill she found a basic carpeted cat condo that was covered in cat hair. The fact that the item is second hand does not bother me. What's bothering me is that I don't know if there is kitty sickness on the thing. I guess what I'm asking is has anyone ever bought carpeted cat furniture second hand and if so how did u clean it before letting your loved one play on it?

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I frequently shop at thrift stores, and have bought some cat condos. I brushed the cat tree/condo with a regular grooming brush, and weather permitting, left it outside to air out. Not so much to get rid of the smell from any cat, but from the smell of the store/car.
Any sickness connected with the cat is long gone--no viruses survive that long.
I almost bought a really nice cat tree with lots of compartments. But they I heard a child say, that's really cut but only a kitten could use it.
Out of the mouth of babes: Ritz was already an adult cat, on the large/tall size, so I knew she'd never fit into some of the cubby holes. So do keep in mind the size of your cat (now and later) and whether the size is big enough to accommodate your cat.
Also, and this holds true for any cat condo/tree: make sure it is sturdy enough to withstand the force of a speeding cat jumping up to it to look outside at a bird/squirrel/fox/deer/chipmunk (I think the scientific name is "G" force.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ms waise

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I frequently shop at thrift stores, and have bought some cat condos. I brushed the cat tree/condo with a regular grooming brush, and weather permitting, left it outside to air out. Not so much to get rid of the smell from any cat, but from the smell of the store/car.
Any sickness connected with the cat is long gone--no viruses survive that long.
I almost bought a really nice cat tree with lots of compartments. But they I heard a child say, that's really cut but only a kitten could use it.
Out of the mouth of babes: Ritz was already an adult cat, on the large/tall size, so I knew she'd never fit into some of the cubby holes. So do keep in mind the size of your cat (now and later) and whether the size is big enough to accommodate your cat.
Also, and this holds true for any cat condo/tree: make sure it is sturdy enough to withstand the force of a speeding cat jumping up to it to look outside at a bird/squirrel/fox/deer/chipmunk (I think the scientific name is "G" force.)
Thank you so much for putting my mind at ease. I don't mind buying things for myself second hand. But when it comes to the health of my baby I just don't want to take that chance. I appreciate your response. Thank you very much.

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The only thing I would worry about is flea eggs. A good vacuuming should take care of that. I also thrift shop a lot, but have not been lucky enough to come across a cat tree yet. I am so jealous! :D

ms waise

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The only thing I would worry about is flea eggs. A good vacuuming should take care of that. I also thrift shop a lot, but have not been lucky enough to come across a cat tree yet. I am so jealous! :D
My mom went ahead and vacuumed and cleaned it. I don't know why but my kittens shedding doesn't bother me. But to see all the previous cats fur coming off that thing made me second guess my entire life! Lol but the fact that it was only 6 bucks made it well worth the extra effort..... You are a genius. I never even thought about steaming. I think we will do that too for good measure.

ms waise

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you're really worried about germs, scents, flea eggs, etc., you can use a steam cleaner on it.
Those were my major concerns. Is a good deal worth possibly contaminating my entire home? I will most definitely give it a good steam cleaning. Thank you for hour input. I honestly never thought to steam it.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Vacuuming and steam cleaning should really be enough of a precaution. That's what the local shelter does when people donate used cat trees or beds that can't be washed. Wow, $6 is a real steal! :vibes::vibes::vibes: that it's a hit!

ms waise

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Vacuuming and steam cleaning should really be enough of a precaution. That's what the local shelter does when people donate used cat trees or beds that can't be washed. Wow, $6 is a real steal! :vibes::vibes::vibes: that it's a hit!
Right?! Anytime I can save money I'm all for it. The only thing that could have made it any more perfect would be if she could have gotten the ticket color half off..... Speaking of the shelter, I have some food and litter I need to drop off. Who'd a thunk Kimbo would be such a picky fickle girl? Lol thank you again for your help. This site has been a life saver.

Petenstine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I spray it good with Lysol or wipe it down with Clorox wipes, leave it outside then put the sweeper grooming attachment on and vacuum it real good.(That is the only thing I have found that gets the hair off the condos ect. It has a metal horseshoe brush on the end.) Cut any strings off it and they will come. (The Cat)

Check around the edges real good, if anything moves don't bring it in. Not only worry about fleas but could be bedbugs as well. Stanchin and sons exterminator has a pet-friendly spray you can use on it before you bring it in. If you are not in NW Oh, check your yellow pages for a reliable pet-friendly exterminator.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have bought 3 used scratching posts for my boys and have had no problems.

Inspect the house carefully for sharp, loose, protruding staples or nails.

Trim any runs in the carpet so cats dont chew and swallow them.

Rub cat nip on the cat tree to entice your cats to use it and leave their scent.

Take pics and post them for us to enjoy.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To help get rid of bugs, leave tree outside for a few weeks in you are in a cold climate.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Then the steam cleaning, time, outdoors time, takes care of the distemper virus? I thought you had to bleach for that.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Then the steam cleaning, time, outdoors time, takes care of the distemper virus? I thought you had to bleach for that.
I believe the reason steam cleaning is effective is because of the high temperature - as I understand distemper will not survive at temps of 120 degrees (50C) or higher. I think most steam cleaners are actually hotter than that.

lunaart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We just got two 13 week-old kittens. Unfortunately, I have a pretty bad anxiety disorder so I researched a lot about distemper before we got them. From what I have read, the distemper virus can live in temps up to 133 degrees and can live in inside environments for more than a year. I could never find out what the lowest temp it would live through, although I have read it can survive freezing - I could never find anything more specific than that.

Soaking in a bleach solution for 10 minutes will kill it. There are some other products that can kill it within 1 minute that I have read can be used on carpets. I don't know much about steam cleaners, but have read about steam mops. A steam mop gets pretty hot (like at least 150+ degrees and higher), but you have to leave it in place for 15-20 seconds to sanitize a section of floor. I'm guessing a steam cleaner is about the same. Just an FYI from all that I've read.