Use of dog Revolution on cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

psnyder

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've heard of people doing this, but haven't found anyone to tell me the dosage for cats. We feed a colony of 26 cats and most are friendly enough to put flea and tick medicine on them. But, the cost is becoming prohibitive. If we could purchase the dog Revolution and break it down into individual doses for the cats, we could save some money. Please don't give me dosages in milligrams (mg). I have nothing that measures in milligrams and haven't found a formula to make the conversion. Dosages in milliliters is much more helpful.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got Revolution for my cats from the vet - as I understand it, Revolution is by prescription only, so I would assume your prescribing vet could give you the dosage, assuming it's do-able?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

I got Revolution for my cats from the vet - as I understand it, Revolution is by prescription only, so I would assume your prescribing vet could give you the dosage, assuming it's do-able?
this is the best idea if you are NOT a vet or a Vet tech ....

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you look it up on theirs home-page??

If the Revolution for dogs respective cats is the same, only different is the dosage??...

As a rule of thumb, many preparats for dogs arent good for cats.
I suspect the vice versa is easier - although I wont swear on it.

Anyway, you must always check up, by vet, someone very knowleable - or theirs home-page.

Good luck!

Edit: it seems to be the same chemical substance, selamectin
http://www.revolutionpet.com/revolutionpet.aspx

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look at the cat dosage vial. For instance, the cat vial of Frontline is .5 cc.....so I measure out .5 cc from the largest vial of Frontline and apply that to the cats. Same process for Revolution.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A vet will not tell you how to do this. It is unethical for him to give advice on how to save money for the companies that they deal with.

The issue with what you are suggesting is that some of the dog products have ingredients that absolutely cannot be used on cats. You would never put dog Frontline Plus or Advantix on a cat because it can kill them. Be very careful that you read all active ingredients in the cat and dog formulas and make sure they are identical.

I also sent you a PM.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can't necessarily say that if a cat vial of Revolution says .5cc that you can measure out .5cc from dog Revolution as many products like this are in a higher concentration for a larger animal rather than in a larger volume. If the concentration of the pesticide is higher in the dogs you could kill a cat with it. The thing to remember is that cats and dogs are very separate animals and can react to different drugs and pesticides differently.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to talk to your vet for the correct dosage. FYI ONLY:

Revolution Puppy/Kitten:
Active Ingredient (per single dose tube) \tAmount
Selamectin \t15 mg

Revolution for Cats 5.1-15 lbs:
Selamectin \t45 mg

Revolution for Dogs 5.1-10 lbs:
Selamectin \t30 mg

Revolution for Dogs 10.1-20 lbs:
Selamectin \t60 mg

You need to know what revolution for dogs you are getting, as they have different concentrations of Selamectin per ml. After that, you would need to calculate in how many ml you can get 45mg of Selamectin.

Again, you NEED to talk to a vet before doing this. I am sure a nice vet would help you out, since you are taking care of a colony.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

A You would never put dog Frontline Plus or Advantix on a cat because it can kill them.
What's in Frontline Plus that's dangerous to cats? I've never heard that one before.

Advantix IS incredibly dangerous to cats; some cats have even died after licking the dog they live with, after the dog was treated with Advantix.

The ONLY brands this can be done with are Advantage, Frontline, and Revolution. These brands have the exact same concentrations of the active ingredient regardless of what weight of animal the vial is for.

Many vets WILL tell you how to divide these products, knowing that for many people, it's either that or no treatment at all. If I go into my vet and ask him for one dose of Revolution, he'll give me a small syringe with the right dose that HE pulled out of the large dog dose, and charge me the same price as though I had bought a closed cat dose

fattykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure it is toxic to cats (at least some brands). I wouldn't risk it. Maybe you could add some natural supplements to their diet which prevents fleas (I swear there are a few).

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

basically the same stuff as in Advantix.
I don't believe it does. AFAIK, the only difference between regular Frontline and Frontline Plus is the addition of S-Methoprene as an insect growth regulator ( http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=7200 ). And the cat formula has a higher concentration of S-Methoprone than the dog formula does (11.8% in the cat formula vs 8.8% in the dog formula). I wouldn't use dog Frontline Plus on cats just because of the difference (perhaps it wouldn't be effective on cats), but I do not believe it's dangerous.

rebtris

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can divide up large dog tubes of Frontline, Frontline Plus, Revolution or Advantage to dose multiple cats but never use Advantix with an x on end, it could kill your cat. To figure the dosage I just take the recommended dosage and divide it into a per pound figure to get the amount right. For example, if the tube is 4mL and is recommended to dose an 89 pound dog then I take 4 and divide by 89 which gives the dosage per pound which in this example would be .04494 and I just round it up to .045 per pound. Then I weigh my cat and me on the scale, subtract my weight and dose my cat at .045 mL per pound. So for example, a 7 pound cat would get just a tad over 3/10 mL. I buy my syringes at vetmeddirect.com for about $6 a 100 count box. I throw the needles away and just use the syringe part and pull 3/10 into the syringe and put it on the back of my kitty's neck. This example is for Frontline or Frontline Plus.. if anyone needs help figuring the dosage for the other brands, you can email me or post a question here.. I would be happy to help. I've been doing this for 14 years and have never had a problem. I've used Frontline, Frontline Plus, Advantage and Revolution this way with no problem. Again just NEVER use ADVANTIX with an X on the end. Also it does help to alternate which flea medication you use because the fleas become resistant to the same type used over and over. Purrs!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I would ask your vet. My vet told me how much of the dog Revolution to use for my cat.

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Why not just go with something natural like DE?

We buy a small flour bag full of it for about $4, just make sure that it's food grade and not the stuff that's used in pools. We put a bit in each pet's food, then they gobble it up. We haven't had a problem with fleas since we started.

I know that you can use the cat advantage on small dogs, I have had to do that in the past, but it doesn't last as long as the dog one. We got them from my mom when her cat died, they would last the whole month for the cat but only about 2 weeks on the dogs. We only use it if we have an outbreak of fleas, but knock on wood, we haven't in over a year. It would definitely be a question for your vet though.

Personally, I'd try the DE first.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Revolution is double the strength of the cat one(and small dog) I am just ordering and dosing it for the first time when it comes so please be careful with that one.

the cat and small dog come in 60 mg/ml and the other dogs are 120 mg/ml

So how you can divide up say advantage you could have issue by splitting it right on down.

So with that and the larger sized dogs tube:
a cat up to 5lb would be .125ml
a cat 5-15lb would be .375ml

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Just a reminder to all - NEVER follow any dosing information you find on the Internet. ALWAYS check with your vet first.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to comment on the "talk to your vet" advice...I have many cats we all know that....

I have asked at least 5 vets and was told by a few for ADVANTAGE oh no you can't do THAT it will kill them!" let alone the comments for other items.

I think the key here is RESEARCH all you can do not follow advice from someone with no pets follow it from the cat rescues/pharmacists/spay neuter clinics that have broken this down and find more then one person saying this is the dose they have used. Some vets will ok it but if they don't find out if its cause they
could get in trouble or they truly feel its going to kill them. I have a shelter minded vet who would NEVER ok anything even tho I am sure the shelter she goes to does this(advantage for my cats would run several hundred a month if I did it by the book-5 6-packs would not cover all mine)

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
That may work for you and your cats, but it may not necessarily work for all cats and could cause them harm rather than good. Posting dosage information here (which we discourage) without a disclaimer leaves the site open for lawsuits.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by nerdrock

Why not just go with something natural like DE?

We buy a small flour bag full of it for about $4, just make sure that it's food grade and not the stuff that's used in pools. We put a bit in each pet's food, then they gobble it up. We haven't had a problem with fleas since we started.

I know that you can use the cat advantage on small dogs, I have had to do that in the past, but it doesn't last as long as the dog one. We got them from my mom when her cat died, they would last the whole month for the cat but only about 2 weeks on the dogs. We only use it if we have an outbreak of fleas, but knock on wood, we haven't in over a year. It would definitely be a question for your vet though.

Personally, I'd try the DE first.
DE is wonderful for treating externally, i.e., fleas on a cat, in the carpeting, etc. but will do nothing for fleas if taken internally. It will kill any internal parasites but fleas are not internal. Folks that mix DE with food usually do so to control internal parasites only.

DE is "diatomaceous earth" which is made of small crustaceans called diatoms. DE is like a fine powder to us humans and mammals but like sharp shards of glass to insects which cuts the exoskeleton and causes the insect to die so taking it internally will not do a thing for the external fleas.

Status
Not open for further replies.