US Thanksgiving Day

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We don’t have much family in the area; so it was a traditional day for us. I’ve been at my parents a lot lately anyway for showers and laundry. So it was basically a normal Thanksgiving. We had a fantastic meal around 3. “Dinner” was 3 types of pie instead of dinner food. I was just getting into a deep sleep when my mom called me to help put away the leftovers. Moms!! :lol: :crazy:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I went to my sister's. She left the refrigerator door open overnight so she had to throw everything away. Then she went out and bought new stuff and cooked the meal again today. I would have gotten a pizza, I mean it was just she and I! But we had a chicken, cornbread dressing, squash casserole, green beans and homemade cranberry dressing. It was very nice. But coming home, the fog was so bad I ran off the road once! So going to Thanksgiving dinner was unsafe!
So glad you’re safe, Boris Diamond Boris Diamond ! And what a good sister! My brother wouldn’t have been that lucky. I would have gotten pizza, too. :)

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My family is far away and sick right now. I spent some time just being thankful that they could talk to me a little while on the phone and then thankful for many other things. The health and safety of friends being part of that. I served chicken to the kitties and shared a nice meal time with them. Afterwards I made calls to check on some friends. Then I went to help an elderly neighbor to get his cat back inside. Lol His son had visited and accidentally startled kitty into running out. Kitty is fine and got chicken and cat treats as a reward for coming to me when I called him. Another reason to be thankful today.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She left the refrigerator door open overnight so she had to throw everything away.
Did the food go bad in that short amount of time? My high school friend used to leave out pizza all night because her family hated it refrigerated.

We had cheese and crackers
Yum! What kind of cheese? I love cheese. I'm getting a British Gloucester in my Aldi order tonight. Can't wait to try it. 🧀

Sounds like my kind of dinner!
Sounds like my entire week. I really need to stop it with the sweets. I'm getting danish, stollen, cinnamon rolls in my Aldi order tonight. Then that's it for another 25 years! :lol:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did the food go bad in that short amount of time? My high school friend used to leave out pizza all night because her family hated it refrigerated.
It's probably not a good idea to do that but pizza is probably safe. The pizza from takeout and delivery places is loaded with things that have a lot of preservatives in them. It still isn't a good idea though for the same reason that other leftovers should be refrigerated within two hours. Food at room temperature is a perfect breeding ground for bacteria. There is actually a type of food poisoning called 'buffet', it is the type I had many years ago. It is the least damaging as far as being a serious illness but that is absolutely the sickest I ever felt. It only lasted about two hours but those were a horrible two hours.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We had a nice day yesterday, just Rick and me for dinner. I spent the morning in the kitchen, doing all the prep work. So come time to start on dinner, all I had to do was throw stuff in the oven at the correct temps and set timers. Easy. I do that with my baked corn, mashed potatoes, etc. Make the gravy the night before; get the crock pot ready in the late morning for the stuffing. Get it all ready in the morning and relax with a glass of white wine in the afternoon.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We did a potluck sort of. Everyone cooked and my youngest drove around and delivered the food. It was a lot of driving for him (6 hours since we are all over the state) but we couldn't get together as usual. Had a few glitches with the menu so he and his girlfriend ended up with no main course. I offered to share our ham but he said they would be okay. If we do this again, I am going to organize it or put my daughter (also a control freak like me) in charge of it. Last night we had a great video chat on Facebook. It wasn't as good as being together but better than nothing.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
My daughter and I are having Thanksgiving tomorrow because she worked yesterday and works today (she works in the medical field.)
We are making the traditional meal. It's my favorite meal of the year and can't wait.
It's going to be nice weather so I'll crack open the windows a little for ventilation. (I was in the medical field also and we're both knowledgable about the virus precautions so I'm comfortable with an "outside person" coming in.)
The usual TG day- eat, have some wine, nap, maybe watch a movie, pet the cats, take a walk.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I woke up thinking about Turkey. :flail: My step-dad makes an awesome turkey so that's always his job. We've been having dinner at my house most years; but he still usually brings the turkey. They just slice it before they come and put it in a crock pot to keep warm. Or he's seasoned it for me here. :lol: Yesterday's was amazingly flavored and moist. I don't always get excited about turkey. But man yesterday's was good. I took home a good bit for today. :biggrin:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
The Mutts comic in this morning’s paper (below) reminded me of something that happened early yesterday morning, Thanksgiving morning. My husband and I were sitting with our coffee in front of the fireplace. Former feral Mocha was lying between us, purring her quiet simmering pot sound and making sure she was touching both of us. I was gently stroking her face, side, and belly. Husband looked down at her and said, “Look how happy she is.” It’s her fourth Thanksgiving with us. We can’t save them all, but I’m grateful that we cat lovers can make a difference for as many as we can.
C75DE55C-24ED-42D8-AA53-71721E58494D.jpeg

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a tough time throwing food away, myself, but it was her call. I think she did not want to have anyone sick after eating her cooking. :p

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Were they instant? I absolutely love instant mashed potatoes. Everyone says they are junk/fake, but they look like potatoes to me. They taste like whipped fluffy angel clouds of goodness. ❤ 🥔
We eat instant here. My husband doesn't like real mashed potatoes becuse you can't get all the lumps out. I think instant are real potatoes.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yum! What kind of cheese? I love cheese. I'm getting a British Gloucester in my Aldi order tonight. Can't wait to try it. 🧀

Sounds like my entire week. I really need to stop it with the sweets. I'm getting danish, stollen, cinnamon rolls in my Aldi order tonight. Then that's it for another 25 years! :lol:
We had quite an array of cheeses...smoked gouda and smoked cheddar,super sharp cheddar,swiss,and an irish cheddar flavored with baileys irish cream.They were all delish!