Urine Not Clumping

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hannah's urine isn't clumping (as it has in the past), so we're off to the vet with her today. It has clumped in the past, big size pee clumps, too. We've not changed litter, still using WBCL, and she's not peed outside the box. There's been stress in our home lately with the passing of Callie and now Hannah and Tumbles are duking it out for top cat position. We are running Feliway 24/7. This started a few weeks ago, but I thought it was Callie. Any ideas, helps, tips, or suggestions as to what's going on?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would guess that's a litter problem, not a cat problem. Clumping litter should clump no matter what kind of liquid is introduced. You may have gotten a defective batch. The only thing I can think of that would involve the cat's health would be if she's peeing so much that there's more pee than litter. Then it wouldn't clump, obviously. But the chemistry of the urine should make no difference in the clumping.

Hope all is well with Hannah!

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might be a problem with the litter, and not a health problem with Hannah. Hopefully that's what it is, and the vet says Hannah's ok

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any chance that Hannah is drinking more? How old is she? I've found that there is a huge difference between my senior kitty (who tends to have dilute urine with a low urine specific gravity) and my younger kitty (who is about 4-5 years old). When I use clumping clay litter, my younger kitty forms nice urine balls. My older kitty tends to form sheets over the top of the litter. The litter then stays wetter and gets goopy rather than forming nice clumps. I'd definitely talk with the vet, especially with the recent changes in the household.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Myabe the clumps are forming but you're accidently breaking them apart when you're removing them. This happens to me sometimes with Sweetie's litterbox

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think it's a litter problem as our other cat's urine clumps and even my CRF kitty's urine was clumping last week before she was PTS. We've not changed the litter yet since it was just changed early last week. I don't think it's falling apart while scooping since it's not coming up in clumps, but rather like a sheet. She's going to the vet this afternoon, so we'll see what is up with her urine.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So what did the Vet say? It IS awfully strange that the other cats urine is clumping and Hannah's isn't.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She went to the vet today due to mass confusion on everyone's part yesterday and spent the day for them to try to collect a urine sample and I'm not sure whatever else. I told them I wanted a urinalysis, a urine culture, and the number for her specific gravity. If the SG comes back weird, then we'll take blood and check her BUN and creatinine. Of course, they're all acting like the litter not clumping when it's clumped previously is no big deal!

mtstorch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!  Did you ever figure out why the one cat's pee clumps and the other doesn't?  We've got the exact same problem, and now, with a new kitten, hers isn't clumping, either, only "mushing"!?!  Thanks for a reply!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We think it was caused by stress.  We had to have her companion of 5 years put to sleep on 12/30/10, just a few days prior to my post.  That is the most logical conclusion as her urine tests were fine.  She's not had a problem since.

As to not covering.  If a kitty urinates and doesn't cover, it still makes a clump if you use clumping litter.

Tyna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wonder what you found out from Hannah's tests. Did her litter eventually go back to clumping? We are experiencing the same thing. There has been a lot of horrendously loud plumbing going on here for two weeks, which has been stressful for my cat (and me). I just figured it was the litter. I've changed brands. Now it is not puddling on top of the mud mush it is making, but it is not clumping well either, more like mud. YUCK! Then he tracks it on the floor.

Jessicat_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, the same thing is happening to one of my cats. Meeks is clumping and Elkas hasn't clumped since we adopted her. We have tried different litters and same results. Is there anything I can add to her food or water like a vitamin she may be lacking?

Jessicat_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, the same thing is happening to one of my cats. Meeks is clumping and Elkas hasn't clumped since we adopted her. We have tried different litters and same results. Is there anything I can add to her food or water like a vitamin she may be lacking?
Elka is feral and has to live in her own room so maybe its also stress related