Urine Marking

littlekingtrashmouth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!!

My 6 month old neutered kitten has recently picked up the horrible habit of peeing on my bed when I'm gone. I keep his litter box very clean & he still pees in the box but also on my bed. I've been around when he's used the litter box & he seems normal in there so I really dont think its a UTI or anything medical I think he gets stressed out when I leave & tries to urine mark on my bed. He only started doing this in the last month & nothing has drastically changed. The hours I've been gone have been the same & it has always been a one cat household. I've recently been covering my bed with a tarp when I leave just for easier clean up/ hoping it will stop the behavior.

Just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation & if a tarp helped or if they got a diffuser or spray! I just ordered the natures miracle calming spray & plan on just spraying it on my bed & around my room. If anyone has tips for stoping urine marking or stress in my kitty please let me know!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are also some good calming collars on the market, from what I'm hearing. My cat is so placid that I expect her to revert to primordial ooze at any moment. Let me see if I can locate an article or two that might help you!

Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

I included that last one because I think this might be stress-related. He does this when you are gone. Your bed is just saturated with your scent, which means it is full of meaning for your kitten. It's ground zero, so to speak, in kitty-world.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I am sorry to hear this.

Marking is typically due to Medical as you pointed out (pain, infection, etc) or Behavioral (territorial, stress etc).

I always like to rule out medical first as it is the easiest.

If the medical results turn out fine then we shift to behavioral drivers. It can be things like territorial insecurity (driven by other cats especially ferals outside), stress in the household, etc. It is always good to try to find out what might be driving the behavior but sometimes we can't figure it out.

So I work on building confidence and territorial security to address the behavior. I do that through Play, Food, Height and Love. So I step up play with the cat in all areas of the house with a focus on the area they are marking. Really good play sessions as often as possible. After play I then feed either treats or a meal. This builds confidence as it replicates the survival instinct of "Hunt, Capture, Kill, Eat" of the wild. I also make sure there is a cat tree near so the cat can go high in the world. Height builds confidence as they can survey the area and feel safer and more secure. I also add scratching posts so the cat can get their scent on more things and "own" more territory. Marking is getting their scent on something to say "I own this, stay away" often. Giving a cat a scratching post near can let them scratch and rub and get their scent on that instead. Also, make sure there is comfy and warm bedding in that room (again so they can get their scent on it and they can "own" that). You may also want to add a litter box in the room so that there scent can be around but is not a hassle (on the bed). Finally, make sure you stay calm and confident around the cat. Cats take on our emotions so the more at ease, calm and confident we are the more they should be. I know it is hard when a cat marks but yelling or "punishing" a cat only makes the situation worse. (Not saying you do that). Just clean up and move on. I know it is hard but the cat doesn't want to go outside of the litter box, something is causing them insecurity where they feel the need to "defend" their territory or they are stressed. Make sure the cat feels loved. If you can safely (without being at risk of being hurt in any way) get the cat to purr that is helpful. If not, give eye kisses (close your eyes slowly, hold closed for 5 seconds or so then slowly open and repeat). Give the cat treats and good food and let them know they are loved. Also, you may want to give the cat toys that don't require human interaction to occupy their time when you are gone.

A cat's instinct is to cover their scent so when they go outside of the box there is something causing it. So the above should address a lot of the issues causing the issue.

Don't worry, we will solve this, we have instinct on our side. Something is causing his issue so if we check his medical situation and then build his confidence and his territorial security we should solve this.

I will be with you every step of the way so please feel free to ask anything anytime.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littlekingtrashmouth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are also some good calming collars on the market, from what I'm hearing. My cat is so placid that I expect her to revert to primordial ooze at any moment. Let me see if I can locate an article or two that might help you!

Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

I included that last one because I think this might be stress-related. He does this when you are gone. Your bed is just saturated with your scent, which means it is full of meaning for your kitten. It's ground zero, so to speak, in kitty-world.

thank you so much for this!! havent heard much about the calming collars ill have to look into those!

littlekingtrashmouth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I am sorry to hear this.

Marking is typically due to Medical as you pointed out (pain, infection, etc) or Behavioral (territorial, stress etc).

I always like to rule out medical first as it is the easiest.

If the medical results turn out fine then we shift to behavioral drivers. It can be things like territorial insecurity (driven by other cats especially ferals outside), stress in the household, etc. It is always good to try to find out what might be driving the behavior but sometimes we can't figure it out.

So I work on building confidence and territorial security to address the behavior. I do that through Play, Food, Height and Love. So I step up play with the cat in all areas of the house with a focus on the area they are marking. Really good play sessions as often as possible. After play I then feed either treats or a meal. This builds confidence as it replicates the survival instinct of "Hunt, Capture, Kill, Eat" of the wild. I also make sure there is a cat tree near so the cat can go high in the world. Height builds confidence as they can survey the area and feel safer and more secure. I also add scratching posts so the cat can get their scent on more things and "own" more territory. Marking is getting their scent on something to say "I own this, stay away" often. Giving a cat a scratching post near can let them scratch and rub and get their scent on that instead. Also, make sure there is comfy and warm bedding in that room (again so they can get their scent on it and they can "own" that). You may also want to add a litter box in the room so that there scent can be around but is not a hassle (on the bed). Finally, make sure you stay calm and confident around the cat. Cats take on our emotions so the more at ease, calm and confident we are the more they should be. I know it is hard when a cat marks but yelling or "punishing" a cat only makes the situation worse. (Not saying you do that). Just clean up and move on. I know it is hard but the cat doesn't want to go outside of the litter box, something is causing them insecurity where they feel the need to "defend" their territory or they are stressed. Make sure the cat feels loved. If you can safely (without being at risk of being hurt in any way) get the cat to purr that is helpful. If not, give eye kisses (close your eyes slowly, hold closed for 5 seconds or so then slowly open and repeat). Give the cat treats and good food and let them know they are loved. Also, you may want to give the cat toys that don't require human interaction to occupy their time when you are gone.

A cat's instinct is to cover their scent so when they go outside of the box there is something causing it. So the above should address a lot of the issues causing the issue.

Don't worry, we will solve this, we have instinct on our side. Something is causing his issue so if we check his medical situation and then build his confidence and his territorial security we should solve this.

I will be with you every step of the way so please feel free to ask anything anytime.
Thank you for this!! I truly got a lot out of this! I went ahead & ordered him a cat tree that has scratching posts & we play in & around the bed now! He has so many toys & i know he plays with them when im gone because i always find them scattered in new places! Hes a very loving cat & purrs all the time & he is so loved by me & everyone he meets!

what really surprised me about his behavior really was the whole love/ trust aspect which is why i suspect the marking to be a stress factor. he sleeps next to me every night gives me kitty kisses & head butts all the time so i feel like we have a good bond so maybe he just gets stressed when i leave! Since posting he hasnt peed on the bed again so i think the enzyme cleaner is to thank for that!

Ill keep making sure he gets all the love & playtime he can handle!! Thank you again for all your help you rock!!!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are very welcome.

Proper cleaning is incredibly important. I am glad you have the proper cleaning solution to remove the scent.

Incredibly happy and loved cats can mark. Humans can do everything right and it can still happen. It can be an animal coming around causing territorial insecurity, it can be noises from neighbors etc, it can be stress. medical. Sometimes we can't find the cause. But building confidence tends to solve issues of territorial security and also helps reduce stress. So play and giving places to increase the feeling of "ownership" tend to be very helpful.

I also should have added, watching the body language of a cat tends to tell us a lot. So if a cat is walking tall, tail up, confident looking that is good. Any change in body language tells us things. Walking lower to the ground, tail down more, avoiding areas, going lower in the world or hiding, not going up in the world, things like that tell us something is cause a lack of confidence.

Don't worry, we will get through this. We are happy to help anytime for as long as needed.

Cookiecat73

Love for stray/feral cats
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I just posted a similar post in another forum where a reader has issues with kitty pooping on bed... Not sure it's ok to advertise on this site, but I designed a bed cover for this very purpose, because one of my cats peed on my bed for a few months... After getting my feet soaked a few times at night, and having to throw the whole bed into the washing machine, I experimented with waterproof stuff/fabrics... Check out my cover on etsy.com.
Again, since I'm not sure it's OK to advertise, search for the terms "waterproof bed cover king", for example... It will pop up. My store is called Silly Legacy. The cover might help your bedding for the time your cat's behavior gets adjusted...
Good luck!
My cat stopped peeing after a few months... Look, this was a joke just before New Year's 2016, but really, he never peed again in January :D
Betty

Attachments

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
littlekingtrashmouth littlekingtrashmouth I seem to have overlooked the peeing on your bed issue, which was perhaps just as well as it requires a lot of digging, (sometimes awkward) questioning, and trying out of different methods. I've only just seen and read this thread now, so pease forgive my lateness.

A lot of the questions I had have been answered and a lot of suggestions suggested already, so I'll just try to manoeuvre around them. But, this is still going to be a LONG post, so be prepared and maybe get a cup of tea first.

Have you owned a cat before? How long have you had King/how old was he when you got him? He does look a lot older than 6 months, despite his size. When was he neutered? Where did he come from, was he found as a baby and rescued?

In your photos on your other thread there is a black cat in two of the photos with King. Does this cat live with you? Where does it fit into things?

Does King only pee on your bed when you're out? Is he shut in your bedroom? Do you live with family, roommates, or other pets? Why is he shut in your room (if he is)? Is it just your bed, i.e., no partner?

Due to the fact that you've seen a vet and ruled out medical, we can dive straight into behavioural. (I'll ask you about the reasoning behind his antibiotics prescription another time.) The biggest factor, other than separation anxiety, loneliness, and boredom whilst your gone, is a dislike of his litter tray set up. Have you tried different litters and boxes? How big is his box? He's going to need a jumbo, supersized box, going by his size already. And, fluffy cats seem to like a bigger box so that they can keep their lovely fluff away from touching the sides. Does his box have a lid? Whereabouts in your room is his box? His box needs to be some place with a bit of privacy (solved by having a lid) but easy access, and away from his feeding, drinking, and bed areas. His food bowl also needs to be in a separate area from his water and bed - cats like a purposeful spot specifically for each activity. :gingercat:

Keep washing your bedclothes on a hot wash in biological detergent. And scrub your mattress with an enzyme cleaner and turn it over. Put aluminium foil or a couple of silver emergency blankets on your bed when not in use, cats don't like the crinkly feeling underfoot and it's a better deterrent than plastic, which might even be an attraction. Put his food bowl right next to the bed on one side, his water on the other side, and his bed at the bottom. If he still pees on your bed, try putting his food on top of your bed on a tray.

Make sure his litter tray is well away from all of this, and that it's scrupulously clean and inviting. Try a fine grain litter that's soft on the paw; I recommend you try 'Cat Attract' litter and/or additive. It's got some tempting herbs in it that smell like just the right spot for the toilet and, albeit I've not used it myself, it has rave reviews on this site and has transformed many a household overnight. And, I really think he'd benefit from the biggest box you can cope with.

Reward him with a wee game of (his new) da bird or lazer and a few treats every time he pees in his box, and generally make a big show of how clever you think he is whilst you scoop it. Don't tell him off for peeing, as cats don't understand punishment or scolding and they just think you're being mean for no reason. But if caught in the act, obviously pick him up and put him in his box, whilst muttering disapprovingly under your breath (cats pick up on disapproval, strangely).

When he's got the hang of things, put his water, food, box, and bed in separate areas of the room. And, maybe put some 'puppy pads' on your bed for a wee while, just in case. Try Feliway original plug-in diffuser, which emits cat friendly pheromones, and also spray your bed with Feliway spray (expensive but hopefully only needed short term). You won't be able to smell it.

Reduce his stress levels through play as suggested above, and I'm a huge advocate of the magical powers of valerian, as you know. I don't know where you live so don't know what's available to you but put in a search for 'cat-calming' valerian and something is bound to show up. Dudley gets daily delicious treats, a weekly spot-on, and a valerian spray on his(my) blanket (it reeks to high heaven but he loves it).

Try not to leave him alone for too long at a time. Can you pop back in to see him during the times you're out, or ask a friend to call by to hang out with him for 10 mins? Being left alone can be really distressing for a cat, especially one who's super friendly and in love with his owner such as King. :itslove: Maybe leave the tv on or talk radio whilst you're out for some surrogate company.

And, as suggested find a game he can play on his own, my lot have a round circuit game with a ball inside that they play with quite happily for hours. This game is extra fun if half placed inside a large paper bag as the ball "disappears" then mysteriously reappears again. :woohoo:And, a few catnip filled mice hidden around the place might be an idea, as would a few treats hidden in obscure places for him to sniff out and hunt down.

Position your new cat tree so that it has a window view for watching the world go by. He will hopefully love being King of his new tree castle, and feel extra safe up there, looking down on you and the world, knowing that it's all for him. :hangin:

This wee blip will be dealt with sooner or later and then you can simply enjoy one another. :catrub: So, just try to stay calm and focus on the task at hand; we're all here for you. :grouphug:

littlekingtrashmouth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
littlekingtrashmouth littlekingtrashmouth I seem to have overlooked the peeing on your bed issue, which was perhaps just as well as it requires a lot of digging, (sometimes awkward) questioning, and trying out of different methods. I've only just seen and read this thread now, so pease forgive my lateness.

A lot of the questions I had have been answered and a lot of suggestions suggested already, so I'll just try to manoeuvre around them. But, this is still going to be a LONG post, so be prepared and maybe get a cup of tea first.

Have you owned a cat before? How long have you had King/how old was he when you got him? He does look a lot older than 6 months, despite his size. When was he neutered? Where did he come from, was he found as a baby and rescued?

In your photos on your other thread there is a black cat in two of the photos with King. Does this cat live with you? Where does it fit into things?

Does King only pee on your bed when you're out? Is he shut in your bedroom? Do you live with family, roommates, or other pets? Why is he shut in your room (if he is)? Is it just your bed, i.e., no partner?

Due to the fact that you've seen a vet and ruled out medical, we can dive straight into behavioural. (I'll ask you about the reasoning behind his antibiotics prescription another time.) The biggest factor, other than separation anxiety, loneliness, and boredom whilst your gone, is a dislike of his litter tray set up. Have you tried different litters and boxes? How big is his box? He's going to need a jumbo, supersized box, going by his size already. And, fluffy cats seem to like a bigger box so that they can keep their lovely fluff away from touching the sides. Does his box have a lid? Whereabouts in your room is his box? His box needs to be some place with a bit of privacy (solved by having a lid) but easy access, and away from his feeding, drinking, and bed areas. His food bowl also needs to be in a separate area from his water and bed - cats like a purposeful spot specifically for each activity. :gingercat:

Keep washing your bedclothes on a hot wash in biological detergent. And scrub your mattress with an enzyme cleaner and turn it over. Put aluminium foil or a couple of silver emergency blankets on your bed when not in use, cats don't like the crinkly feeling underfoot and it's a better deterrent than plastic, which might even be an attraction. Put his food bowl right next to the bed on one side, his water on the other side, and his bed at the bottom. If he still pees on your bed, try putting his food on top of your bed on a tray.

Make sure his litter tray is well away from all of this, and that it's scrupulously clean and inviting. Try a fine grain litter that's soft on the paw; I recommend you try 'Cat Attract' litter and/or additive. It's got some tempting herbs in it that smell like just the right spot for the toilet and, albeit I've not used it myself, it has rave reviews on this site and has transformed many a household overnight. And, I really think he'd benefit from the biggest box you can cope with.

Reward him with a wee game of (his new) da bird or lazer and a few treats every time he pees in his box, and generally make a big show of how clever you think he is whilst you scoop it. Don't tell him off for peeing, as cats don't understand punishment or scolding and they just think you're being mean for no reason. But if caught in the act, obviously pick him up and put him in his box, whilst muttering disapprovingly under your breath (cats pick up on disapproval, strangely).

When he's got the hang of things, put his water, food, box, and bed in separate areas of the room. And, maybe put some 'puppy pads' on your bed for a wee while, just in case. Try Feliway original plug-in diffuser, which emits cat friendly pheromones, and also spray your bed with Feliway spray (expensive but hopefully only needed short term). You won't be able to smell it.

Reduce his stress levels through play as suggested above, and I'm a huge advocate of the magical powers of valerian, as you know. I don't know where you live so don't know what's available to you but put in a search for 'cat-calming' valerian and something is bound to show up. Dudley gets daily delicious treats, a weekly spot-on, and a valerian spray on his(my) blanket (it reeks to high heaven but he loves it).

Try not to leave him alone for too long at a time. Can you pop back in to see him during the times you're out, or ask a friend to call by to hang out with him for 10 mins? Being left alone can be really distressing for a cat, especially one who's super friendly and in love with his owner such as King. :itslove: Maybe leave the tv on or talk radio whilst you're out for some surrogate company.

And, as suggested find a game he can play on his own, my lot have a round circuit game with a ball inside that they play with quite happily for hours. This game is extra fun if half placed inside a large paper bag as the ball "disappears" then mysteriously reappears again. :woohoo:And, a few catnip filled mice hidden around the place might be an idea, as would a few treats hidden in obscure places for him to sniff out and hunt down.

Position your new cat tree so that it has a window view for watching the world go by. He will hopefully love being King of his new tree castle, and feel extra safe up there, looking down on you and the world, knowing that it's all for him. :hangin:

This wee blip will be dealt with sooner or later and then you can simply enjoy one another. :catrub: So, just try to stay calm and focus on the task at hand; we're all here for you. :grouphug:

We had a family cat (who I gave up pacifers for when I was 2, so he was "mine") who was with us for 16 wonderful years! He was as good as cats could get. Very relaxed, but as he got older he lost control of his bladder & would throw up a lot, so the pee problem is nothing new, but you still never get used to it. King is my first cat that is 100% completely mine!

The other cat in the pictures

My room is the entire upstairs of the apartment I live in with the bedroom at one end & bathroom around the corner in its own area. His litter box is the big natures miracle hooded one so he has a huge litterbox with a lid in a corner under my vanity. Its easy access & not so hidden that he would forget or not want to go to it but not so public that he would be too scared to go in. His food & water are by my bed far away from the litter box!! I clean his box everyday, sometimes twice a day.

Ive ordered aluminum foil blankets to replace the tarp I've had on my bed & I'm going to try to leave food on my bed so hopefully that will deter as well. His cat tree is by the window in the living room & I plan to build him something to put in my room by the window once I have some time off!

littlekingtrashmouth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had a family cat (who I gave up pacifers for when I was 2, so he was "mine") who was with us for 16 wonderful years! He was as good as cats could get. Very relaxed, but as he got older he lost control of his bladder & would throw up a lot, so the pee problem is nothing new, but you still never get used to it. King is my first cat that is 100% completely mine!

The other cat in the pictures is a little kitten my roommate & I are fostering & they get along well enough, but the peeing has been happening far before she's been here.

My room is the entire upstairs of the apartment I live in with the bedroom at one end & bathroom around the corner in its own area. His litter box is the big natures miracle hooded one so he has a huge litterbox with a lid in a corner under my vanity. Its easy access & not so hidden that he would forget or not want to go to it but not so public that he would be too scared to go in. His food & water are by my bed far away from the litter box!! I clean his box everyday, sometimes twice a day.

Ive ordered aluminum foil blankets to replace the tarp I've had on my bed & I'm going to try to leave food on my bed so hopefully that will deter as well. His cat tree is by the window in the living room & I plan to build him something to put in my room by the window once I have some time off!