Urine Infection Advice

lyssa366

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My little baby was supposed to go into the vet last week for a neuter, but a few days before that he had peed on my bed and I knew something was up because he was crying before he used the litter box so I had ordered the vet to do a urinalysis and he was sent home without his neuter and a urine infection as well as some medication. I've never dealt with a urine infection in a cat before, and this little guy is my baby and I'm terribly worried about him. He's on 3 different medications. I haven't heard him complain before going to the litter box, but I'm concerned because he's only making little tinkles throughout the day and I feel as though that's not enough and I'm worried about him getting a blockage. I've put him on wet food as well to help him get more moisture as the vet suggested. I was hoping someone here has gone through the same situation and I am looking for some advice to make things go smoother, or maybe just a little bit more information about urine infections and a little bit of reassurance.

peeka73

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did your vet include a painkiller?  If not, would be a good idea to ask for some.  Your poor boy is in pain.  :(  

Unfortunately, the only things you can do now is continue feeding him the canned food and add extra water to it.  It takes time to heal.  It took my cat about a month.  Also, continue to keep an eye on him, make sure he is peeing.  

I just went through this a month ago, so I know how you feel.  It will get better.  :)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've never had a male cat with a Urinary Tract Infection, but my female (aged 15 this coming January), has recently been coming down with them
.  I'm constantly monitoring the pee in our house,, though, because blockages can be life threatening.  Every time anyone goes, I'm constantly praising them

So...what exactly did your Vet say was the issue, and what meds were given?  My girl got an antibiotic and pain meds, the first time, and an antibiotic and a small amount of steroid (for inflammation) the 2nd time.  We're to return in two weeks for another round to make sure we nip it in the bud. 

I would say that now that you're guy has had a UTI, I would always feed him wet food, always add a little water to it, and try to keep his stress levels down.  Stress can be the number one cause of UTIs.  Isn't that weird?  Odd but true.  For that, you can actually use Feliway Plug-ins, because some stress just can't be helped (outside influences...kids walking by, loud trucks, etc.), Rescue Remedy for Pets, more playtime, that type of thing. 

And try to get him to drink as much water as possible.  Cats don't usually like to drink.  Maybe this will help with that:  http://www.thecatsite.com/a/tips-to-increase-your-cat-s-water-intake

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's some info: http://catinfo.org/?link=urinarytracthealth

Keep your cat on canned food for life to prevent future urinary issues. Add extra water to the food to ensure good water intake. The food doesn't need to be soup-like unless your cat likes that. What brand of food are you feeding? A vet prescribed one? You don't need to feed prescription food at all. The ingredients in prescription food is pretty awful. Any commercial canned food will help, and not just the ones labeled for urinary health. They key is to get more water into the body to keep the urinary system working at an optimal level.

Some cats may still experience a flare up even on canned food. I know of a cat who eats canned food but has cystitis flare ups every now and then. He gets pain medicine for when that happens.