Urine in the carpet

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats has a bad habit of peeing on the carpet when we aren't home or during the night if she is not allowed to go outside at her whim. She is my 8 yr. old former stray CRF cat, who is about to become a permanent outdoor cat, except for when I can watch her.

I detect a very strong urine odor in my new (sob!) living room carpet. I know I need to clean it with an enzyme cleaner, but here's my question. How do you know if a cleaner is an enzyme cleaner? For example, I have used Oxiclean successfully to get out soil, but I don't know if it's an "enzyme" cleaner. I have used Nature's Miracle in the past at another house with limited success. I don't have time to order a product, so it has to be available locally.

Any suggestions??? PLEASE HELP!!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a petstore nearby? They'll stock enzyme cleaners specifically for urine neutralization. You might be able to pick up something locally (like the Nature's Miracle) and go ahead and order a better cleaner online in case the first cleaner doesn't work.

Is there any way you can add a small enclosure off of a window? It might be easier to let her have a limited space outside whenever she wants than struggle against her peeing on the floor because she wants to pee outside.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Re odor itself, I had great luck with Zero Odor - if there's a Bed Bath & Beyond around you, you can get it there.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat needs a vet check... I understand she is a CRF cat and if I remember well she is not being treated for the condition? She might have an UTI...

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
http://www.NokOut.com or Anti-Icky Poo at http://www.catfaeries.com. The two best out there. You do have to SOAK the area, let it sit for 15 minutes, blot up excess, and let air dry naturally. We put a strip of aluminum foil down over the area until it's dry so we remember not to step there.

You may want to get a black light to search and make sure you've got it all.

While Zero Odor is non toxic, it's not a cleaner and we found it didn't work too well on pee.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

We put a strip of aluminum foil down over the area until it's dry so we remember not to step there.
Whenever I have to clean a spot on the den floor (from spills to kitty vomit) I'll flip a laundry basket upside down over it. Foil is seen as a cat toy around here...

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I second the Nok Out recommendation. I had a cat pee on my sofa one time and it went all the way through the 6" cushion. I saturated the sofa with Nok Out and got out the smell completely.

You really do need to saturate the spot, not just spritz it clean. If its in the carpet, it's probably in the pad, and if in the pad, it might have gotten into the wooden underlayment under that. Even if you have concrete under your carpet, cat urine will permeate concrete.

Saturate the spot, let it dry and put your nose in it to smell any remnants, or watch to see if your cat smells that area (they can smell what you can't). If there is anything left, saturate it again.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zero Odor is not a stain cleaner, but, in my experience, it's great on eliminating the odor itself. YMMV.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ended up getting a professional urine removal cleaner from my local janitorial supply store. It seemed to work the best and I can no longer detect an odor. Dusty now spends nights outside, and she comes inside when she can be supervised. She shows no interest in wanting to leave the yard, so she is happy to sleep on the patio furniture. We have a fenced yard, and the only critters likely to find their way in would be other cats that roam the neighborhood.

Dusty will come in and cuddle with me for awhile, but the rest of the time she prefers the outside.

jman_in_mn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is that Nok Out non toxic?  Acceptable to use an extractor on the urine spot w/ Nok Out?  Just would hate to saturate the area and wait forever for it to dry...would rather let it sit for an hour, extract, and then let air dry.