Urine dribbles - occasional

Scootercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats, underwent a PU, failed revision to PU, and then the PPU, all at the age of 2 and within a 3 month period. He was great for over 2 years and then had his first UTI (common after these surgeries) 2 years later, and since then, has had flare ups of urinary tract inflammation (but no infection). He is seen by my vet every 3 months for a routine urinalysis to monitor for crystals, blood, infection, etc. He was last treated for inflammation (no infection) this past March and seemed to have recovered after 5 weeks of Prazosin for the spasms. But, shortly after, I noticed some dribbles around the litter box, appears to occur as he exits. I started giving him D-mannose and corn silk to treat for inflammation and the dribbling seemed to have stopped. He had his routine quarterly check up in July, and all looked good, i.e. urinalysis, bloodwork (through IDEXX). I just changed vets because I was discouraged by the inability to communicate with a vet by phone to address the immediate concern and it now takes almost 3 weeks to get an appointment. My new vet ran all of the tests again to get a current baseline for her care, and again, all was good. We are going to start focusing on stress. I am now starting to see occasional small wet spots on the floor throughout the house (despite him using the litter box regularly). We are 4 years post-surgery. I was advised early on that incontinence often becomes an issue after the PPU procedure, but 4 years later? I know the PPU is not often done, but has anyone experienced incontinence so long after the PU or PPU and if so, did it become worse? Also, since his stoma is in the lower abdomen, has anyone ever used the feline belly wrap incontinence pad instead of diapers? My boy is not having any incontinence of the bowel. How did they work for you? I am trying to prepare myself for what may come, as he is only 6 and is a significant part of my family. There are no other options for surgery. With the exception of the occasional dribbling, he is a normal, playful and loving boy and euthansia is NOT an option (despite the suggestion from a former vet tech). Thank you.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
A vet tech told you to euthanize him because he dribbles? That was really uncalled for from someone who is supposed to support pets and their owners. You are certainly on top of his care and it seems as if you have run interference on anything that could possibly be a potential issue.

I have never experienced this and hopefully others might comment. As for the incontinence pad vs diapers, this may or may not help you. I have used belly bands on more than one male German shepherd who became entirely incontinent due to genetically related illness and they worked remarkably well. They seemed to be less irritating than having a pair of pants on the lower portion of the body.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would certainly try the belly bands, given the position of his stoma. They seem as if they would be far, far less irritating to him.

And that vet tech just qualified to be his own patient. He was a donkey.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Just remembered....if you use a belly band, you usually put an absorbent pad inside. Human bed protectors can be cut to size. If your cat ends up really needing to keep this on, mind the condition of his skin just as you would a baby.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
"Poise" pads could also be cut down. They are very absorptive, although I'm not sure how cost-effective they would be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Scootercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would certainly try the belly bands, given the position of his stoma. They seem as if they would be far, far less irritating to him.

And that vet tech just qualified to be his own patient. He was a donkey.
My thoughts exactly.....changed vets shortly after....

Scootercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A vet tech told you to euthanize him because he dribbles? That was really uncalled for from someone who is supposed to support pets and their owners. You are certainly on top of his care and it seems as if you have run interference on anything that could possibly be a potential issue.

I have never experienced this and hopefully others might comment. As for the incontinence pad vs diapers, this may or may not help you. I have used belly bands on more than one male German shepherd who became entirely incontinent due to genetically related illness and they worked remarkably well. They seemed to be less irritating than having a pair of pants on the lower portion of the body.
Thank you for your reply....so late in following up and this boy still has on-going issues,,,his stoma is now starting to narrow...they want to try to revise it but no guarantees......I refuse to do another surgery on this boy...he had 4 four years ago, enough is enough. As long as he is still able to urinate, he will remain living a good life with me. If and when he totally blocks,is another story. .this poor boy cannot get a break.

Scootercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just remembered....if you use a belly band, you usually put an absorbent pad inside. Human bed protectors can be cut to size. If your cat ends up really needing to keep this on, mind the condition of his skin just as you would a baby.
Very good...thank you. He is going through some additional issues now as I had him into the surgeon as his stoma didn't look right...sad to find it, it is narrowing.....not a lot of options if it completely closes. Still hopeful...