Urine Collection - Any Tricks? Advice - Hugs? All Accepted.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So Charlie needs to have some Urine collection for a second Urine test. First one with a needle in the bladder came back as a lot of blood. The vet said if it were a scale of 1 -4 - his is a three.

I'm scared, upset, - there are a boatload of emotions.

Poo and Blood both came back fine. Body condition is excellent. Small intestines have inflammation. He's peeing fine. No pain going pee - at least doesn't look that way and no yowling. Going in litter box fine.

There are not a lot of pellets. Charlie is a big cat.

I want to get this completed ASAP for him so we can see if maybe, just maybe it was a mistake or...

Has anyone had to do this before? Tricks to make sure he goes in it so I can do this in one shot and get the test in fast.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Take a long handled soup ladle and stick it under the cat's tail to collect urine.

Buy aquarium gravel / pebbles / decorative pebbles from a craft store and use that instead of litter. Aquarium gravel / pebbles will need to be rinsed thoroughly to remove dust which may affect the test results of the urine. The sample bag of pellets you get from the vet isn't enough. Tilt the box to pool up the urine in a corner and our / spoon / syringe / turkey baster it out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take a long handled soup ladle and stick it under the cat's tail to collect urine.

Buy aquarium gravel / pebbles / decorative pebbles from a craft store and use that instead of litter. Aquarium gravel / pebbles will need to be rinsed thoroughly to remove dust which may affect the test results of the urine. The sample bag of pellets you get from the vet isn't enough. Tilt the box to pool up the urine in a corner and our / spoon / syringe / turkey baster it out.
Thank you.

I have a container of old gravel - it was used in an aquarium many moons ago. Can I use that if I was in soap and water and rinse - or no way - no how - go get new?

Not apposed to getting new - just want to do this as fast as I can so we can get the results and of course - I don't want to screw it up by being too fast. Catch 22.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you.

I have a container of old gravel - it was used in an aquarium many moons ago. Can I use that if I was in soap and water and rinse - or no way - no how - go get new?

Not apposed to getting new - just want to do this as fast as I can so we can get the results and of course - I don't want to screw it up by being too fast. Catch 22.
What is be being tested for? Crystals again? Can you do the cytsocentesis again?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd get new gravel / pebble to minimize the risk of contaminating the urine sample. I suggest getting the ones that are like this

since they're not going to be as dusty as regular gravel.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wile Wile
I'm not sure TBH. I was in shock - so I didn't think to ask why. From what I understood I think blood.

They were concerned about the amount of blood in the Urine so the Vet asked me to do this one at home.

Edit to add: They did a cytsocentesis the first time. TBH I don't know why we are doing it this way - other than he has a small bladder? If I fail they said they will keep him for the day and try the litter at the Vets office. TY for pointing that out I wrote it on a list of questions to ask.

He was brought in because he attacked my friend - twice - he was like a rabid dog. He only attacked her. I was always concerned about the fact the his poop was very hard and dark - but - every year at his check up I mention it and every year it was never tested. This time - with encouragement from here - I was going to push for a real test. I brought him to the nice vet looking after the new indoor ferals for a second opinion. I didn't have to ask - or push. I told her what was happening all this time - and boom tests ordered.

Right now I thank goodness lovely people here suggested I take him to the vet again just to make sure nothing was going on. I would never have known otherwise that there was anything else going on.

I expected bad poop results - didn't get that. I expected inflammation or something related to the intestines. This was a complete, total shock. I wasn't prepared for that news. I'm terrified.

LTS3 LTS3

I know where I can get some of those. I will pick them up tomorrow on the way home.

I'm panicking - been trying not to do that since yesterday - but picking up the collection items at the vet today - I broke. Panic set in. Worry. Tears. The whole group of emotions.

Doing this tomorrow means probably not getting a sample to them until Monday - but I have to remind myself this needs to be done right. Fast and screwed up is no good.

Edit to add: and I was trying to keep my posts short for once. lol

This site might have just saved his life. I'm in awe and gratitude as well as terror.

Last edited:

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sure he'll be ok. Blood in urine is always worrying, but it does often happen for very treatable reasons. I had to deal with it this past summer when my cat got a UTI one week, then a cystitis attack two weeks later from the stress of the UTI. His pee was pink, but it cleared up pretty quick. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :crossfingers:

I'm sure your vet has a reason why they asked you to get the sample at home. If you get into a position where they need to draw the sample at the office try to make a morning visit and load your cat up with liquid before the visit. The last urine sample I got my cat to drink from a tap, then gave him his wet food, then gave him a can of tuna water 45 minutes before the exam, then a brought a wet food topper treat he likes with me to the office just in case. He peed in his cage on the ride over (he always does...), but there was so much water in his system that the vet was able to get a sample after 2 hours of waiting.

Wile Wile
I'm not sure TBH. I was in shock - so I didn't think to ask why. From what I understood I think blood.

They were concerned about the amount of blood in the Urine so the Vet asked me to do this one at home.

Edit to add: They did a cytsocentesis the first time. TBH I don't know why we are doing it this way - other than he has a small bladder? If I fail they said they will keep him for the day and try the litter at the Vets office. TY for pointing that out I wrote it on a list of questions to ask.

He was brought in because he attacked my friend - twice - he was like a rabid dog. He only attacked her. I was always concerned about the fact the his poop was very hard and dark - but - every year at his check up I mention it and every year it was never tested. This time - with encouragement from here - I was going to push for a real test. I brought him to the nice vet looking after the new indoor ferals for a second opinion. I didn't have to ask - or push. I told her what was happening all this time - and boom tests ordered.

Right now I thank goodness lovely people here suggested I take him to the vet again just to make sure nothing was going on. I would never have known otherwise that there was anything else going on.

I expected bad poop results - didn't get that. I expected inflammation or something related to the intestines. This was a complete, total shock. I wasn't prepared for that news. I'm terrified.

LTS3 LTS3

I know where I can get some of those. I will pick them up tomorrow on the way home.

I'm panicking - been trying not to do that since yesterday - but picking up the collection items at the vet today - I broke. Panic set in. Worry. Tears. The whole group of emotions.

Doing this tomorrow means probably not getting a sample to them until Monday - but I have to remind myself this needs to be done right. Fast and screwed up is no good.

Edit to add: and I was trying to keep my posts short for once. lol

This site might have just saved his life. I'm in awe and gratitude as well as terror.
Edit: forgot to mention that my cat had an x-ray to check for crystals. He's crystal free, but the x-ray, like yours, showed that his bowel is inflamed. Running theory at the moment is it's from food allergies/intolerance.

Last edited:

maxsmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I must be lucky with my cat i just follow him around with the specimen jar in hand at the ready and when he goes i just slip it in under his tail and angle it so his stream of pee goes in the jar. Mind you he is very use to me checking his pee as he has had 3 blockages and i often follow him around the yard and lift his tail when he squats to makes sure pee is coming out or i place me hand under him if he seems blocked to see if any drips come out.......I think he is annoyed with this though as he tends to swish his tail around now that i accompany him outside for his toilet walks.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 I have the tools. I think it might work.

I'm sure he'll be ok. Blood in urine is always worrying, but it does often happen for very treatable reasons. I had to deal with it this past summer when my cat got a UTI one week, then a cystitis attack two weeks later from the stress of the UTI. His pee was pink, but it cleared up pretty quick. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :crossfingers:
Thank you :heartshape:

I'm glad that your kitty was okay! :-)

I'm sure your vet has a reason why they asked you to get the sample at home. If you get into a position where they need to draw the sample at the office try to make a morning visit and load your cat up with liquid before the visit. The last urine sample I got my cat to drink from a tap, then gave him his wet food, then gave him a can of tuna water 45 minutes before the exam, then a brought a wet food topper treat he likes with me to the office just in case. He peed in his cage on the ride over (he always does...), but there was so much water in his system that the vet was able to get a sample after 2 hours of waiting.
I think part of it, now that I'm feeling a bit more centered, is that he had such a terrible time driving over. Heart condition and Asthma. The car ride was near 40 minutes and he was very distressed. I think maybe they are trying to limit his stress. I do have one gabapentin left from last weeks visit with a feral that was not-so-happy about her cage - so that might be an option. Should I fail, and he needs to go see them I'll ask the vet if I can use it.

That's a really good idea! I can get up really early Monday and do that and see if he will pee for me!

Edit: forgot to mention that my cat had an x-ray to check for crystals. He's crystal free, but the x-ray, like yours, showed that his bowel is inflamed. Running theory at the moment is it's from food allergies/intolerance.
The allergy/intolerance is on the table for Charlie too. His poop is often dark and constipated. I've tried a few times a year the last 2 years to get him to switch so we can see if the poop thing is allergy related. He literally starves himself.

XO

Have you managed to change your kitties (name?) food successfully?

I must be lucky with my cat i just follow him around with the specimen jar in hand at the ready and when he goes i just slip it in under his tail and angle it so his stream of pee goes in the jar. Mind you he is very use to me checking his pee as he has had 3 blockages and i often follow him around the yard and lift his tail when he squats to makes sure pee is coming out or i place me hand under him if he seems blocked to see if any drips come out.......I think he is annoyed with this though as he tends to swish his tail around now that i accompany him outside for his toilet walks.
He really trusts you.

I thought about trying that with Charlie but I think I might freak him out and cause him not to pee at all!

"Hey! You! That's my private area! Do you mind. Sheesh at least warm your hands first!"

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The allergy/intolerance is on the table for Charlie too. His poop is often dark and constipated. I've tried a few times a year the last 2 years to get him to switch so we can see if the poop thing is allergy related. He literally starves himself.

XO

Have you managed to change your kitties (name?) food successfully?
Yeah, I'm glad he's ok too. It was a really stressful summer when I had to manage all 3 of Wile E's conditions (UTI, food issues, and cystitis as well as testing to eliminate other issues) at once, so I understand what you're going through right now.

When he was younger I fed him a variety of different proteins and food types. The benefit is that he's not picky so I can change his food without too much trouble. The downside is that he's been exposed to almost everything except some of the more exotic meats, which makes elimination testing with a novel protein tough. It is also really hard to find commercial diets that will target every health condition. Testing is ongoing, but at the moment I am feeding a hypoallergenic rabbit-based prescription dry food and home cooked wet rabbit food.

One thing I did do this summer when I initially tried switching his food that you might try was I bought a bunch of different cat food types and cans that contained novel protein sources and put together a cat food buffet. I had small samples of 8 or 10 different foods on a plate just to see what he would eat. This might be an option for you.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have pee!

LTS3 LTS3 Wile Wile That trick definitely helped with the extra glass beads- a-lot. I had to alter a bit as he refused to go without his litter liner *sigh* so I did add a new litter liner and tossed some of his old litter under it.

I locked him in my room all night and then did as wile suggested and he got tons of liquids. I've been up since 5 am. 7:10 am - we had PEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is very dark - looks browny. Worried - but at least we got it and they can complete the work and we can move forward to doing whatever Charlie needs.

Yeah, I'm glad he's ok too. It was a really stressful summer when I had to manage all 3 of Wile E's conditions (UTI, food issues, and cystitis as well as testing to eliminate other issues) at once, so I understand what you're going through right now.

When he was younger I fed him a variety of different proteins and food types. The benefit is that he's not picky so I can change his food without too much trouble. The downside is that he's been exposed to almost everything except some of the more exotic meats, which makes elimination testing with a novel protein tough. It is also really hard to find commercial diets that will target every health condition. Testing is ongoing, but at the moment I am feeding a hypoallergenic rabbit-based prescription dry food and home cooked wet rabbit food.

One thing I did do this summer when I initially tried switching his food that you might try was I bought a bunch of different cat food types and cans that contained novel protein sources and put together a cat food buffet. I had small samples of 8 or 10 different foods on a plate just to see what he would eat. This might be an option for you.
Oh I understand that stress. *hugs*

What other testing are they doing for Wile?

He was on different protein when he was younger too. They thought food allergy (chicken) so 100 failed attempts later - I managed to get - or so I thought - the chicken gone. Reading the labels fully - the fiber response they have him on - chicken - his salmon and Turkey and Salmon - also have chicken *sigh*. Attempts to change the food after that - epic fails.

I did try to buffet thing - but - in saying that - it was after 2 weeks of fails and then he stopped eating all together. I did the buffet thing and right back to his old food. I think what you said is still a good idea though - but maybe do it right at the start this time instead of after it fails.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 Wile Wile
I locked him in my room all night and then did as wile suggested and he got tons of liquids. I've been up since 5 am. 7:10 am - we had PEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is very dark - looks browny. Worried - but at least we got it and they can complete the work and we can move forward to doing whatever Charlie needs.

Oh I understand that stress. *hugs*

What other testing are they doing for Wile?

He was on different protein when he was younger too. They thought food allergy (chicken) so 100 failed attempts later - I managed to get - or so I thought - the chicken gone. Reading the labels fully - the fiber response they have him on - chicken - his salmon and Turkey and Salmon - also have chicken *sigh*. Attempts to change the food after that - epic fails.

I did try to buffet thing - but - in saying that - it was after 2 weeks of fails and then he stopped eating all together. I did the buffet thing and right back to his old food. I think what you said is still a good idea though - but maybe do it right at the start this time instead of after it fails.
Awesome, so glad you were able to get the sample :yess:

At the moment Wile E and I are going through food trials to get him stable on a protein that he doesn't throw up (peas and poultry are the suspected culprits). For now that means home cooked rabbit and rayne rabbit kibble. If that doesn't work I'll have to do something more exotic like kangaroo. Once he doesn't puke for a couple months I'll get another x-ray to make sure the inflammation has subsided.

I get what you mean about chicken - it is in almost everything which is why I'm doing the home cooking thing now. Natural balance has chicken free limited ingredient diets you can look at. And Nature's variety instinct does too.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! It was very exciting to get the pee - not so much to hear the results.

:frown: Vet called - on a scale of 1 -4 - the blood is now a 4. I go tomorrow to pick up some pain killers for him. Very mild. They can be used on kittens too.

We've sent it in to see if they can make bacteria grow. 3-5 days. If yes - anti-biotics. If no. Ultrasound time as he has too much pooped to see if there are stones etc.

Awesome, so glad you were able to get the sample :yess:

At the moment Wile E and I are going through food trials to get him stable on a protein that he doesn't throw up (peas and poultry are the suspected culprits). For now that means home cooked rabbit and rayne rabbit kibble. If that doesn't work I'll have to do something more exotic like kangaroo. Once he doesn't puke for a couple months I'll get another x-ray to make sure the inflammation has subsided.

I get what you mean about chicken - it is in almost everything which is why I'm doing the home cooking thing now. Natural balance has chicken free limited ingredient diets you can look at. And Nature's variety instinct does too.
I hope Wile's food works out so he can be all healed!

I was shocked to see how much chicken was everywhere. I will look at both those products for Chicken free. Thank you. :-)

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes! It was very exciting to get the pee - not so much to hear the results.

:frown: Vet called - on a scale of 1 -4 - the blood is now a 4. I go tomorrow to pick up some pain killers for him. Very mild. They can be used on kittens too.

We've sent it in to see if they can make bacteria grow. 3-5 days. If yes - anti-biotics. If no. Ultrasound time as he has too much pooped to see if there are stones etc.

I hope Wile's food works out so he can be all healed!

I was shocked to see how much chicken was everywhere. I will look at both those products for Chicken free. Thank you. :-)
You're welcome :) I hope you find a food that works for you. Bad news about the blood being worse. I hope the vet can help you figure that out.

Just as an FYI it is possible that your Charlie's urine specific gravity may come back lower on this test than the previous one since you loaded him up with water. That happened to me on the last test I overhydrated Wile E for. It might not matter since it sounds like it was Charlie's first pee of the day and things tend to be more concentrated in the mornings. But If your vet mentions the USG has changed from the previous test the extra water is likely why.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're welcome :) I hope you find a food that works for you. Bad news about the blood being worse. I hope the vet can help you figure that out.

Just as an FYI it is possible that your Charlie's urine specific gravity may come back lower on this test than the previous one since you loaded him up with water. That happened to me on the last test I overhydrated Wile E for. It might not matter since it sounds like it was Charlie's first pee of the day and things tend to be more concentrated in the mornings. But If your vet mentions the USG has changed from the previous test the extra water is likely why.
I hope so too. That much blood freaks me out for him. That's A LOT of blood to lose.

It was his first pee of the day. The vet did ask how I got him to pee and I told how, including the loading him up with fluids. Thank you for letting me know about the urine specific gravity so I wasn't worried about that too!

BTW The other trick I used was I placed a clean pan liner over top of his litter before adding things as he totally refused to go even though he wanted to. That was the final trick that made him go pee. I think it was softer on his feet and he could smell is own litter.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wile Wile for some reason, maybe you have it set that way :-) I can't message you so I have to ask here. How is Wile doing?

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wile Wile for some reason, maybe you have it set that way :-) I can't message you so I have to ask here. How is Wile doing?
Hi Feral! When I first started this site I turned off almost all of the features because the constant email alerts were a bit too much and I had trouble figuring out what all the features did. I've turned on messages (conversations?), so that should be fixed. I'll reply here though, since the question was asked in the forum.

To be honest I'm not sure how Wile E is doing. He is getting cartrophen shots to keep his cystitis under control, and that seems to be working. I think he is UTI free (tested clean in August). He has been spraying near the back door because a new cat moved into the neighbourhood last summer and he saw it looking through the back door. It created a big mess this fall where I had to stick a litter box in front of the back door. He is mostly using that litter box, but I do still get the occasional slip-up.

I'm about 5 weeks into his new food trial with him (rabbit & potato). So far I haven't really noticed any difference in his vomiting, although his ears and eyes do seem a bit cleaner. It's really just a waiting game at this point.

Is Charlie doing ok?

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YAY! UTI Free! That's great news!

The peeing - eeps - I'm glad you found a solution to that and that it seems to work for the most part. Have you been able to try anything yet to deter the new kitty from hanging about in Wille E's space?

Charlie is doing okay. We finished his antibiotics and retested his pee on Monday. There was a mess up at the lab though and I had to bring more pee down on Friday - I should have the results Monday or Tuesday.

All of the tricks you and LTS3 gave me have worked like a charm for getting his pee. He didn't like doing it - but he did. That took a boatload of stress off and I can't thank you two enough.

His appetite is all over the map right now. He became pukey a few days before the antibiotics were finished and about once a week since. He doesn't often throw up - so this is different- he usually goes through almost stages like for a week he'll toss his cookies two or three times - and nothing for months after.

The only thing I noticed so far for his pee did get lighter on the Monday and appeared lighter still on the Friday - still dark imho but nothing like the watered down coca-cola colour it was. His fur is a bit softer too - so I'm taking that as a good sign. Like Wille E - it's a waiting game.

I'm chomping at the bit waiting as I know food trial are next up for him too. Not looking forward to those as I've never been successful before. I went out and bought a bunch of different ones for him again. I want to start now, now, now but I know it's best to wait and see what the vet says. I'm even researching cooking for him because I honestly think that that might be the only thing that will work for the stubborn, sensitive soul that he is.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
YAY! UTI Free! That's great news!

The peeing - eeps - I'm glad you found a solution to that and that it seems to work for the most part. Have you been able to try anything yet to deter the new kitty from hanging about in Wille E's space?

Charlie is doing okay. We finished his antibiotics and retested his pee on Monday. There was a mess up at the lab though and I had to bring more pee down on Friday - I should have the results Monday or Tuesday.

All of the tricks you and LTS3 gave me have worked like a charm for getting his pee. He didn't like doing it - but he did. That took a boatload of stress off and I can't thank you two enough.

His appetite is all over the map right now. He became pukey a few days before the antibiotics were finished and about once a week since. He doesn't often throw up - so this is different- he usually goes through almost stages like for a week he'll toss his cookies two or three times - and nothing for months after.

The only thing I noticed so far for his pee did get lighter on the Monday and appeared lighter still on the Friday - still dark imho but nothing like the watered down coca-cola colour it was. His fur is a bit softer too - so I'm taking that as a good sign. Like Wille E - it's a waiting game.

I'm chomping at the bit waiting as I know food trial are next up for him too. Not looking forward to those as I've never been successful before. I went out and bought a bunch of different ones for him again. I want to start now, now, now but I know it's best to wait and see what the vet says. I'm even researching cooking for him because I honestly think that that might be the only thing that will work for the stubborn, sensitive soul that he is.
Yes, it is definitely great that his UTI has cleared up! And it is great to hear that Charlie is on the road to recovery! It sounds like the antibiotics are working, even if they are making him nauseous. Antibiotics aren't forever, so hopefully his appetite will get better once they are done. And healthier fur is always a good sign :)

For food trials I've been doing a mix of commercial hypoallergenic kibble/wet food and home cooking with a hypoallergenic supplement. It definitely makes it easier to have a commercial option to fall back on for those days when you are running low on the home cooked stuff. I find the learning curve for cat nutrition is steep, but making home cooked cat food with a premix and recipe is not as time intensive as I thought it would be, and seems easier for Wile E to digest. I haven't noticed him throw up the home cooked stuff at all. Only the commercial food.

I had to get up one night at 3 in the morning to chase this other cat off. It definitely felt a bit ridiculous. The good news is it is winter now and there is snow on the ground. Most cats stay indoors and I haven't seen any paw prints in the snow. This is the first time in my life when I've been happy for Canadian winters!