Urinating Outside Box While In Box

123Carol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat starts out in a crouching position but as she is urinating she slowly moves her bottom upwards and starts urinating outside the box. I had to get rid of the usual sized litter boxes and bought her a couple of storage containers with high sides. She still continues the positional problem, however. I am not very knowledgeable or experienced about cat behavior. Any comments on this would be appreciated.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The storage boxes usually help with this problem, unless they decide to turn around. Tom wanted to do the powerful, aggressive peeing, and the other boxes weren't tall enough. We didn't question how he wanted to pee, but as long as it wasn't on the wall anymore, we've been good.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! You've found just the place to ask whatever you need to know about cats and their behavior, health, well-being...just about anything! We're a bit mad about cats, so nothing bothers us so long as it is a sincere desire to make your cat's life better, and your own bearable!

Cats all have their very own potty habits, and what one does may be very different from the next. What your girl is doing is not quite the norm, but neither is it rare at all. Why? 'Cause, that's why. Or as my dad used to say, "Who knows from cats?" You had a wonderful idea with the storage boxes, just keep it up, and enjoy your cat with all her quirks!

Sirmuffins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat starts out in a crouching position but as she is urinating she slowly moves her bottom upwards and starts urinating outside the box. I had to get rid of the usual sized litter boxes and bought her a couple of storage containers with high sides. She still continues the positional problem, however. I am not very knowledgeable or experienced about cat behavior. Any comments on this would be appreciated.
Have you tried talking to her:):):)
Only joking... l know it's not exactly a pleasant business but we have several cats and they each have their own "method" of using the facilities and that's what their humans are here for - to clean after them among other things:) From experience l can say that it's mostly impossible to make a feline change any habits he or she might have.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

123Carol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The storage boxes usually help with this problem, unless they decide to turn around. Tom wanted to do the powerful, aggressive peeing, and the other boxes weren't tall enough. We didn't question how he wanted to pee, but as long as it wasn't on the wall anymore, we've been good.
Thank you !! Your comment is much appreciated.

Welcome to TCS! You've found just the place to ask whatever you need to know about cats and their behavior, health, well-being...just about anything! We're a bit mad about cats, so nothing bothers us so long as it is a sincere desire to make your cat's life better, and your own bearable!

Cats all have their very own potty habits, and what one does may be very different from the next. What your girl is doing is not quite the norm, but neither is it rare at all. Why? 'Cause, that's why. Or as my dad used to say, "Who knows from cats?" You had a wonderful idea with the storage boxes, just keep it up, and enjoy your cat with all her quirks!

Only joking... l know it's not exactly a pleasant business but we have several cats and they each have their own "method" of using the facilities and that's what their humans are here for - to clean after them among other things:) From experience l can say that it's mostly impossible to make a feline change any habits he or she might have.

Last edited by a moderator: