Urinating near food twice

Catsanddogs1238

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

Background Info

I have a 2 year old neutered male persian chinchilla cat. Every since the day i got him which was when he was still a kitten he has been very stressed, nervous and always had problems with eating as in he would go days without eating anything at all. I would worry and take him to the vet they have done numerous tests on him and the vet said he is healthy just a nervous cat. Anyway since then he at least eats now (only dry food refuses wet food and since im desperate for him to eat anything im fine with it) the only way he eats is when i wake up at 5:30 am and literally hand feed him on top of the kitchen table. Then when i go to work i leave some food on the kitchen floor near the table (will not eat from a flat dish if any sort) he will sometimes eat it sometimes not and i hand feed him on the kitchen table when i get home.

Problem

I have been really tired and last week on monday i thought maybe i can try putting some of his food under the living room table which is where he likes to sleep (on the chairs) ... I couldnt believe my eyes he ate the whole thing in front of me. I was so happy. Okay so 2 hours later i notice he peed right next to where the food had been. My cat is extremely clean and has never ever peed anywhere but his litterbox. I stopped doing it. But today at noon i decided to try again so i put the food again under the living room table. Later on in the day when i went to see if he ate the food he did eat but again peed on the exact same spot.

Can someone please explain to me why he is doing this? Im so stressed. Also he peed in his litterbox literally now as im typing this message.

I want to cry i love my cat but he is so difficult. Please help.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
He does sound like a challenge. He may see under the table as a safe space and I am wondering if he was marking the spot as his own.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry though for the reason that's brought you here. I'm also wondering if him peeing under the table was territorial marking, even though as an only cat, that doesn't really make sense. Either way, ensure you use an enzyme cleaner in the area, to make sure all his urine scent is removed, otherwise he may make a habit of peeing in that same spot.

Here's a couple TCS articles with more info:
How to Successfully Combat Cat Urine – TheCatSite Articles
How To Remove Cat Urine – TheCatSite Articles

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Peeing is almost always a territorial thing. He may be marking this spot as his place to eat instinctively. It may quit after he establishes it as his new spot to eat. Clean the area with a good enzyme cat urine cleaner and maybe put a puppy pee pad down and see if he will go on that. I think it will end when he gets comfortable eating there.